• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Links Manager v1.01, please help???

panzz

Hi Jack and thanks for taking the time to reply to my posts.

I tried your suggestions and am not having much luck, I made a copy of a few files including customers.php and renamed them links.php, and then clicked on Links Manager in Admin and still keep getting the same error 500. However when I delete everthing in the address bar after admin/ and then type, say, newsletter.php, it goes directly to that page. So it seems there is something in the links manager script that is throwing the 500 error.

I tried typing in the address after admin/ of links.php, link_categories.php and links_contact.php and still get the same error.

When I click on Links Manager in Admin, this is the address that is displayed in the address bar in IE,

https://***.**.***.**/mydomain.com.au/admin/links.php?selected_box=links&osCAdminID=514b43fedb2eb1e69e7835eae473b5d4

The above address has a few things changed around for security reasons. This has to be something so simple, that I am, perhaps, overlooking. :huh:

Viper

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your results aren't making sense to me. If you can go to admin/customers.php and have it display correctly and then you rename customers.php to links.php and you cannot display correctly, I don't see how that is possible. You are attempting to display the same file but with it named to something else. That should not fail. You will need to try to find the reason for that before moving on.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Your results aren't making sense to me. If you can go to admin/customers.php and have it display correctly and then you rename customers.php to links.php and you cannot display correctly, I don't see how that is possible. You are attempting to display the same file but with it named to something else. That should not fail. You will need to try to find the reason for that before moving on.

Jack

Hi Jack

Sorry about the confusion, when I delete everything after admin/ in the address bar of IE, and just have admin/customers.php, I get my list of customers displaying, this should be right. However, when I do not delete everything in the address bar and only delete the file name links.php and replace it with customers.php, I then have three menu items under Link Manager displaying, which are Links, Link Categories and Link Contacts. Correct ? Ok, now, if I click on Link Categories I then get thrown to the error 500 page. This is the same when I click on Links and Link Contacts. i.e. error 500 page.

What I didn't try before was only deleting the file name links.php and leaving the rest of the file id and then typing customers.php where links.php was.

I hope I have clarified things a little further.

Viper

I think you may have misunderstood what I was explaining to do. Let me run through it again, using mysite.com as the domain name. You should use yours instead.

1 - Make a copy of customers.php and rename it links.php (you will need to rename the oriignal links.php first).

2 - go to http://mysite.com/admin/links.php. Does the customers data display?

3 - go to http://mysite.com/admin/link_categories.php. Do you get the 500 error?

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

I think you may have misunderstood what I was explaining to do. Let me run through it again, using mysite.com as the domain name. You should use yours instead.

1 - Make a copy of customers.php and rename it links.php (you will need to rename the oriignal links.php first).

2 - go to http://mysite.com/admin/links.php. Does the customers data display?

3 - go to http://mysite.com/admin/link_categories.php. Do you get the 500 error?

Jack

Hi Jack

I did try the above method earlier and I was still getting the error 500, I just tried it again now as per your instructions, and it is the same.

In step 2. >>> Error 500 and in step 3. >>> Error 500

One strange thing I did notice was that I cannot delete or rename links.php on server, I could only overwrite it to do your above instructions using WS FTP Pro.

Viper

Then you've got something going on there that is beyond Links Manager. Renaming a file and displaying it should work. There is just no way for it to fail that I can think of. Yet, you say it fails. I've no idea what to tell you to try next at this point.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Then you've got something going on there that is beyond Links Manager. Renaming a file and displaying it should work. There is just no way for it to fail that I can think of. Yet, you say it fails. I've no idea what to tell you to try next at this point.

Jack

Hi Jack

The file is not failing, I only mentioned it as something unusual, however it did update when I overwrote the file. I get a failure box stating to check file permissions. When I change file permissions, there is no difference when renaming or deleting. I still get a failure. The only thing I have done since installing Link manager is updating osCommerce with the latest release osCommerce 2.2ms2-051113. All other uploads using WS FTP Pro work fine. So, I doubt whether WS FTP is uploading files in the incorrect format, I have checked this.

Jack, also as I have stated previously, if I keep the original files that came with links manager, and delete links.php in the address bar of IE and replace it with customers.php or newsletters.php, I get those pages opening with the Links Manager and its 3 menu items displaying, i.e. Links, Link Categories, and Link Contacts. but when I leave links.php in the address bar and refresh the page I get the error again.

As you can see, my problem is frustrating to say the least, however, I don't have any other alternatives, my hosts are unwilling to help, and this forum is my only option to find a solution. Any other fault finding ideas would be appreciated.

Viper

• 1 month later...
Hi Jack

The file is not failing, I only mentioned it as something unusual, however it did update when I overwrote the file. I get a failure box stating to check file permissions. When I change file permissions, there is no difference when renaming or deleting. I still get a failure. The only thing I have done since installing Link manager is updating osCommerce with the latest release osCommerce 2.2ms2-051113. All other uploads using WS FTP Pro work fine. So, I doubt whether WS FTP is uploading files in the incorrect format, I have checked this.

Jack, also as I have stated previously, if I keep the original files that came with links manager, and delete links.php in the address bar of IE and replace it with customers.php or newsletters.php, I get those pages opening with the Links Manager and its 3 menu items displaying, i.e. Links, Link Categories, and Link Contacts. but when I leave links.php in the address bar and refresh the page I get the error again.

As you can see, my problem is frustrating to say the least, however, I don't have any other alternatives, my hosts are unwilling to help, and this forum is my only option to find a solution. Any other fault finding ideas would be appreciated.

Viper

I'm sorry but I can't follow the problem. I've suggested several things basd on what you said and then you change it aand say that's not what you meant. My only suggestion at this point is to create a clean test shop with Links Manager installed. If it works, then you have a problem with your installationof it. If it fails, then it is server related. Good luck.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi jack,

I did the update from 1.09 tot 1.10 for the languages, meaning the sql update and the 2 files, however I can see the links on the english site of my website but I don't see them on the dutch site of my website. I saw that I need to put them on the dutch part of my admin for them to be able to show. Is it possible to make it work like when adding products, so that with one time adding a link it will show on both site of the catalog dutch and english.

Denice

Edited by jewelrytrends

• 2 weeks later...

Great contribution, but I have 2 problems.

When enabling "Display Link Image" in admin, selecting a category which has images for one or more links, it takes 3-4 minutes to load the link.php page. When removing the link to the image or disable "Display Link Image" the page loads in a second.

When performing "Check Link" in Links Manager I get the following error message: Link Check Result: Error Reading URL, even though the liste link is correct. This function is also very slow.

Any help appreciated

Vidar

Hi Jack,

After trying to avoid to copy all links to the dutch side of my website, I was not able to do this any longer :x

So as a good little trooper, I started, but.......(isn't there always a but) I get this error message when I push the insert button on the dutch side of my admin.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/jewelryt/public_html/admin/includes/languages/dutch/links.php:77) in /home/jewelryt/public_html/admin/includes/functions/general.php on line 31

I don't have this error when I insert a link on the english side of my admin.

Maybe because I'm trying to insert a similar link on the dutch side?????

Denice

When enabling "Display Link Image" in admin, selecting a category which has images for one or more links, it takes 3-4 minutes to load the link.php page. When removing the link to the image or disable "Display Link Image" the page loads in a second.

When performing "Check Link" in Links Manager I get the following error message: Link Check Result: Error Reading URL, even though the liste link is correct. This function is also very slow.

Any help appreciated

Vidar

If the images are taking that long to load, then they are probably too large. The images should be thumbnails for that page. Or, if you have hundreads of them, then it will just take a while. In either of those cases, you can install an automatic thumbnail maker and that should fix that problem.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi Jack,

After trying to avoid to copy all links to the dutch side of my website, I was not able to do this any longer :x

So as a good little trooper, I started, but.......(isn't there always a but) I get this error message when I push the insert button on the dutch side of my admin.

I don't have this error when I insert a link on the english side of my admin.

Maybe because I'm trying to insert a similar link on the dutch side?????

Denice

The headers already sent mesage means, usualy, there is a space at the end of the file. The reason you don't see it in the english side is because that is using a different file. To fix it, open the admin/includes/languages/dutch/links.php file, go to the very end of the file and backspace (don't use the left arrow key) until you reach the >. Save the file and it should be OK.

jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Any help appreciated

Vidar

I had the same problem, had all my link images in as alexa thumbnails but still heavily linked pages took too long to load.

So.... I nixed the partner link-pics, still kept the category pics...

Links Page

Jack, great patience you have!! :thumbsup:

Awesome work and help on this once orphaned (but now revived) contrib.

define('PROJECTS', 'Something that goes on forever!');

If the images are taking that long to load, then they are probably too large. The images should be thumbnails for that page. Or, if you have hundreads of them, then it will just take a while. In either of those cases, you can install an automatic thumbnail maker and that should fix that problem.

Jack

Thanks for the reply. I have two identical webservers (one backup/development server). The problem only exists on the development server. When I copy everything to the production server it runs great!

To improve the look/load time I copied/cropped the images to my server. Works great.

Thanks for a nice contribution

Vidar

• 2 weeks later...

I am getting this error when I click to go to link categories:

1146 - Table 'trolling_osc1.TABLE_LINK_CATEGORIES_DESCRIPTION' doesn't exist

select link_categories_name from TABLE_LINK_CATEGORIES_DESCRIPTION where link_categories_id = '0' and language_id = '1'

[TEP STOP]

When you see capital letters show up in an error, it usually means a define statement is missing. Check the instructions where it says to add a line to the database tables file. Your problem should be there.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

I already have that code. It was done as a special project for someone. But it is a major change and not documented properly for a contribution. I will plan on adding it in at some point.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

I already have that code. It was done as a special project for someone. But it is a major change and not documented properly for a contribution. I will plan on adding it in at some point.

well if it s not to much to ask , here is my email if i can try to be inspired by your code without space : azerosc @ gmail.com or maybe here in the forum

REquest 2 : when someone submit a link , ihe s got a dropdown menu of the categories, but imagine if he wants to ask for a new categorie ? we should maybe make a defaut categorie like "category not listed" or " propose new category" , even if he can not enter the name , we then know that the link submitter surely entered a category proposal in the description, and we could put that in the hlp text ;)

MS2

New relase proposition :

1.Done :i corrected many hard coded english text , i ve put them in define variable , and put them in langauge defintion .

2.Proposition : being able to switch for admin for listing horizontal and vertical

3. question , i couldnt find how to put in bold the TABLE_HEADING_LINKS_TITLE , in the vertival lisintg it is in blod in horizontal it s not

u guys tell me if you want me to release after having resolved the few question i posted here !

MS2