• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Does this ting work

ronlonnborg

I have been playing with this for several hours and still have not gotten a true install. Whats the deal. Is the admin suppose to be in the catalog folder or not. Or do all the catolog files need to be in the root of the site. I am building the site on my server. I have changed my filles to write. Oh thats another think. You look for a configur file in the admin file and it is named configuration. Some one really needs to come up with some good instrustion. I am using wondows 2003 web edition MYSQL and PHP 4 something. When I go to install it can't find the instll/oscommerce.sql. So imported the data in to MSQL database. Now it just says page not found for admin. What is the deal. Does this thing work>?

The admin directory is a subdirectory under catalog. The catalog folder should be installed under the root directory. So, when you have finished installing, the URL to your store should be:

www.thisismydomain.com/catalog (of course by default index.php will be called unless you have placed an index.html file in this directory - that will cause problems).

And to access the admin part of your site it would be:

www.thisismydomain.com/catalog/admin

You should password protect the admin directory so noone has access to it except you. You can do this using .htaccess or by using the password protection facility your ISP provides you.

The oscommcerce.sql file is located in catalog/install. If you are having problems running that to create and populate your db, a workaround is to use phpMyAdmin and run the oscommerce.sql query through it's interface.

Is the admin suppose to be in the catalog folder or not.

standard: yes

Or do all the catolog files need to be in the root of the site.

either the /catalog/ or the files + dir's from /catalog/, as you like.

I am building the site on my server. I have changed my filles to write. Oh thats another think.

FTP files to server, make sure the 2x configure.php (NOT configuration.php) are CHMOD 706, than on ../catalog/install/ => enter

You look for a configur file in the admin file and it is named configuration.

No, NOT configuration.php :(

instll/oscommerce.sql.

oscommerce.sql is inside the /install/ dir, impossible to miss it.

Does this thing work>?

definitively YES

"If you're working on something new, then you are necessarily an amateur."

The admin folder need not be under catalog and need not be named admin. It can be anywhere on your site you want it to be. Just make sure that all the paths are correct in the configure.php files.

Archived