• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

A Few Questions - Newbie and it shows.

RisqueThreads

Hello

I have several questions that I hope the community can help me with. I'm a new OsCommerce user , and have a number of questions after having played with the Admin functions for a while:

How can I change the color scheme for the pages in the store? Is there a master PHP file that I can edit for all the color properties?

How can I replace the OsCommerce image that appears in the top left hand corner of the screen?

What is the best way to edit PHP files? Can Frontpage take care of this?

Can anyone suggest a good PHP documentation page?

I'm having a problem loading images when I create a new product. I get an error message that says the /image folder cannot be written to. I have adjusted the read/write options for the folder, and still no luck.

How does one go about obtaining an SSL? Is this something that my provider can help me out with?

How does one go Live with thier store front?

I'd appreciate any and all help to some or all of the above.

Thanks in advance

Paul

Lol

1. Color Scheme you will find a stylesheet under the main catalog directory it contains all of the styles you will want to change

2 /catalog/images/oscommerce.gif just create a new logo name it oscommerce.gif then upload.

3. OH LORD NOBODY should ever use frontpage for anything!!! ... well perhaps if you got it on cd you can use it as a coaster. Use wordpad, notepad, dreamweaver anything but frontpage. //by the way if you didn't already know this find a php programmer to do this work for you, the time and headaches you save will be well worth it.

4. php.net

5. chmod the images directory under catalogs to either 666 or 777

6. Yes your provider should be able to do this if not get a diff provider

7. not sure what you mean Go live with thier store front.

For the editor, I use Crimson Editor. It has numbers so if you get an error, you know where to look. As for your store being live, it technically is as soon as you create it. If you were to go on my site, it's live & you could purchase things, but I'm also in the middle of actually modifying the little things before I start advertising that it's out there.

Lol

1. Color Scheme you will find a stylesheet under the main catalog directory it contains all of the styles you will want to change

Ok - cool. I'll look for it

2 /catalog/images/oscommerce.gif just create a new logo name it oscommerce.gif then upload.

I found another thread with some details on how to do this. One thing taken care of!

3. OH LORD NOBODY should ever use frontpage for anything!!! ... well perhaps if you got it on cd you can use it as a coaster. Use wordpad, notepad, dreamweaver anything but frontpage. //by the way if you didn't already know this find a php programmer to do this work for you, the time and headaches you save will be well worth it.

I edited the include.php in the file manager that comes with Cpanel...seems to work okay. I'd like to learn as much PHP as I can myself....can't afford a PHP programmer, and nobody I know has eer heard of it.

4. php.net

Thanks

5. chmod the images directory under catalogs to either 666 or 777

I'll give it a whirl in the file manager in Cpanel

6. Yes your provider should be able to do this if not get a diff provider

OK

7. not sure what you mean Go live with thier store front.

When I go to www.risquethreads.com...there is the following text:

"This is a default setup of the osCommerce project, products shown are for demonstrational purposes, any products purchased will not be delivered nor will the customer be billed. Any information seen on these products is to be treated as fictional." - Is this something included in another PHP file?

I suppose making edit to the information links:

Shipping & Returns

Privacy Notice

Conditions of Use

Contact Us

Is also a PHP edit?

So far so good!

Thanks

For the editor, I use Crimson Editor. It has numbers so if you get an error, you know where to look. As for your store being live, it technically is as soon as you create it. If you were to go on my site, it's live & you could purchase things, but I'm also in the middle of actually modifying the little things before I start advertising that it's out there.

Hey Joel here is another great tool. Do a search for Metapad, it replaces Notepad on your computer and provides line numbers.

Archived