• Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Updated Store! - Help me make it better

mijman2

Hi everyone,

oscommerce.gif

www.iPodXtras.com

I have been working on my store, and everything is more or less in working order!

Could you help me make it better by letting me know what I can improve and change?

Thanks,

Mijman2

Some information pages are missing (shipping, conditions)

The hrefs show another url/path than the published one.

As you are using STS, I'd go a bit further with the graphics design and make things look a bit less standard osC, either more like Mac design sides, or using a darker blue & orange color scheme like your logo (which I really like !)

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

I do not use the responsive bootstrap version since i coded my responsive version earlier, but i have bought every 28d of code package to support burts effort and keep this forum alive (albeit more like on life support).

So if you are still here ? What are you waiting for ?!

Find the most frequent unique errors to fix:

grep "PHP" php_error_log.txt | sed "s/^.* PHP/PHP/g" |grep "line" |sort | uniq -c | sort -r > counterrors.txt

Fantastic logo. Rest of site is ugly in comparison. Why not make the site look like an iPod ? That would be cool. Or like the Apple Store, or like a Mac OS.

Give it a theme.

I editted the color theme let me know what you think...

I am working on the Shipping and Privacy statement stuff...

Quetion:

-For the breadcrumbs, how can i change the color of the ">>" ?

Also, how can i change the color of the FAQ section for the Gift Voucher contribute in the breadcrumbs?

Thanks

There's an error at the bottom of your page... Below the bar where it tells you the date and how many hits you've received, it states the date and how many hits again in plaintext.

I would also think it would make your site look better if you modified the colors of or created your own unique buttons on the site (buy now, continue, update, etc).

Also you definately have to add the shipping and returns information, etc.

Other than that, I think the site looks great!

K,

fixed that, thanks for noticing...

changed colors a little litter, made them go together better...

Working on new buttons!

Thanks for your input!

-More suggestions are encouraged!

Hi,

I installed the Customer Testimonials V1.3 (and love it!!!) but whenever I open a pop up window, the testimonial displays above the context of what the pop up window should be...

For instance when you click on view larger image under thumbnail images for product pages, it displays the testimonial then the larger pic...

www.iPodXtras.com

Any ideas on how to stop this or what went wrong?

Same general comments as the others...

Your logo style far surpasses the look of your site. The color scheme matches and everything, but it needs some *punch*.

I also would choose to either have the entire layout centered on the page, or have the entire layout set to spread the full width. But having the header at 100% width, and then the body at whatever width you have it set just doesn't work for me visually.

All in all, it's a pretty generic OSC site. Keep playing with it :)

Laura

I finally got all of my contributes working together!

-If anyone knows how to make shipping free for gift certificates (with out using dowload feature, except when there is other items that need to be shipped in their cart, that would be great!

Also, If anyone would be interested in helping me customize my shop by adding a background theme, that goes with the logo please pm me

-I have been trying to figure out how to do it but I can't seem to figure out how to fully customize it and get away from the stock look!!!

Thanks,

Steve

Lol,

Yep, I am trying to create a layout for the page, and Will hopefully be able to get a design that complements the logo! I'm working at it!

If ya want to help let me know!

Alright I am going live hopefully within 24 hours!

-Let me know what you think of the new background!

I can't veer away from the out of the box look because I am too newbish sorry :blink:

-Please let me know your thoughts before I go LIVE

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
How do you protect your folders so that the website works, but people cant access them???

Well... It depends on what you mean... If a folder exists inside the catalog, it MUST be made visible (no pretection) if you want people to be able to receive content from the folders. If you're protecting a directory inside the catalog directory that doesn't get called or if you're protecting the admin directory or another, you could always edit your .htaccess (on *nix servers) to prohibit entry with a username and password. So just describe exactly what you want to do, and I'll help you along with the process...

Glad to see the progress with the new buttons... Keep tweaking things and you're site will be ok :)

I figured it out, but my host doesn't allow -index :blink:

It has an option to deny access to viewing directories, but then it wont allow me to log onto admin... .htaccess doenst work :o

So i am now talking w. my host to figure things out!

nice site

i got a few questions:

What shipping moduke and cc gateway do you use.....

Do you use any encryption...you should....this is big money.

my 2 cents

danny

computerwiz5: I use Pay Pal as a payment method and charge a flat rate of $5 to ship anywhere in the US... When a purchase is being made, it transfers them to a secure site to purchase the items...

Chabooky: "We apologize for any inconvenience" is spelled correctly (well after i changed it down to only one "P" :P )... The "z" in apoligize should be a "z" and not an "s" I guess you can spell it both ways, but I was always taught in school it was spelled with a "z"... Any way thank you for bringing my attention the small typo!

hwo do you ship, with fedex, i heard people export a csv file to a diff computer and do the shippign that way...i dont get it?

Big improvment on the color scheme. Looks way better than what you had originally.

One of the main things I look for when I'm about to buy from someone online is an About page. You don't seem to have one.

IMO, the biggest problem you have is the Top link in the breadcrumb trail. It takes you to an enter page. This page will do absolutely nothing for you in the search engines. In fact, since it is a redirect, it may hurt you. I would remove it altogether and change the Top -> Catalog to just Home.

I still think the search function should be visible to the visitor without making them look for it.

You had asked in one of your posts about shipping Gift Certificates. If you are still having problems with that and you are talking about the Gift Vouchers contribution, you just need to set the weight to 0 and name the product starting with GIFT_. This is a common problem mentioned in that thread.

Why the free hit counter at the bottom of the page? Looks amateurish, IMO. Plus, you already have one in the bar above it.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Thanks for the input...

Working on a non box solution for search box in header...

Gift Voucher contrib screws up my stock counter for seperate contribs when downloads enabled...

took out hit counter, and finally figured out how to take top out of breadcrumbs... Now I want to change catalog to say home... any ideas?

Thanks for the input...

Working on a non box solution for search box in header...

Gift Voucher contrib screws up my stock counter for seperate contribs when downloads enabled...

took out hit counter, and finally figured out how to take top out of breadcrumbs... Now I want to change catalog to say home... any ideas?

The best solution for the search box that I could find is to use this code. You will have to adjust its position with tables.

<td class="main" align="left" valign="top">
      <p>
     <form name="quick_find" action="<?php echo tep_href_link(FILENAME_ADVANCED_SEARCH_RESULT, '', 'SSL'); ?>" method="get">
           Search <input type="hidden" name="osCsid" value="" />
     <input type="text" name="keywords" value="Type word(s) and press enter" onFocus="form.keywords.value='';" size="
     27" maxlength="35" style="" >
     <input type="hidden" name="osCsid" value="">

<?php echo '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_ADVANCED_SEARCH, '', 'NONSSL') . '">' .  'Advanced Search' . '</a>'; ?>

</form>
     </td>

To change catalog to home, open includes/languages/english.php file and change HEADER_TITLE_CATALOG.

Then open includes/application_top.php and comment out the line

$breadcrumb->add(HEADER_TITLE_TOP, HTTP_SERVER);

HTH

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Archived