• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

HTML Based Newsletter

jackiteIT

I'm trying to send out my newsletters in html. I have designed them in Dreamweaver and when I cut and paste the code, the newsletter shows up correctly in preview, but all that shows up in the email os the code itself. What am I doing wrong?

To get my newsletter working....

I went into this file:

admin/includes/modules/newsletters/newsletter_subscribers.php

And foud this text (towards the bottom of the file:

$mimemessage->add_text($this->contentb);

And changed it to:

$mimemessage->add_html($this->contentb);

HTH

Tom

checkout these contributions to do this within osC

http://www.oscommerce.com/community?contri...er&category=all

Make sure to test your newsletter with different email programs as they do not all display html newsletters the same way.

e.g. search google for "building rich emails" and you'll get some pointers to what to do / not to do

HTH

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

I do not use the responsive bootstrap version since i coded my responsive version earlier, but i have bought every 28d of code package to support burts effort and keep this forum alive (albeit more like on life support).

So if you are still here ? What are you waiting for ?!

Find the most frequent unique errors to fix:

grep "PHP" php_error_log.txt | sed "s/^.* PHP/PHP/g" |grep "line" |sort | uniq -c | sort -r > counterrors.txt

you paste the html where you pasted the html before the difference is in the handler now being html instead of plain text based.

If you follow OceanRanch you will maybe get Toms porpoise.

No longer giving free advice. Please place deposit in meter slot provided.  Individual: [=] SME: [==] Corporation: [===]
If deposit does not fit one of the slots provided then you are asking too much! :P

Is your Osc dated try Phoenix  raising oscommerce from the ashes.

I changed the add_text to add_html, but the html page still appears distorted... Any ideas how to get it to format correctly now? Thanks for all the information btw!

Try just simple html to make sure that the newsletter is being sent with the appropriate mime type for html.

For example just copy and paste this html into the newsletter and send it.

<b>Hello World</b>

If the email you recive is showing it in bold then your good.

If the email is just displaying "<b>Hello World</b>" then you are SOL.

Now as far as "formatted correctly"........

If you are pasting in some complex HTML with lots of tables and graphics etc. then your email "client" may not be able to render them exactly as you created them in your editor. You may need to simpify your HTML.

Not all email clients are the same.

HTH

Tom

Thanks Tom, I think it WAS my use of tables... may just have to download the email addresses of the people who want newsletters and send them html based email using Outlook...

Thanks for your help..

Cody

i am sending an HTML newsletter through OS Commerce. The only funky one that my recipients have told me about so far is in Yahoo some weird question marks show up. I've got people recieving on AOL, MSN, Yahoo and through outlook, so i dont' know about others.

anyway, mine has tables, etc, and it was distorted initially too, but i found a message about deleting all excess spaces, and that did the trick. You have to go through all of the html source and basically put it all on one line by deleting all the excess spaces (between commands, etc), and enters.

it's a pain in the tush, but my newsletter format basically stays the same each time so i just change the text/pictures in the source code so it doesn't change anything.

i am sending an HTML newsletter through OS Commerce. The only funky one that my recipients have told me about so far is in Yahoo some weird question marks show up. I've got people recieving on AOL, MSN, Yahoo and through outlook, so i dont' know about others.

anyway, mine has tables, etc, and it was distorted initially too, but i found a message about deleting all excess spaces, and that did the trick. You have to go through all of the html source and basically put it all on one line by deleting all the excess spaces (between commands, etc), and enters.

it's a pain in the tush, but my newsletter format basically stays the same each time so i just change the text/pictures in the source code so it doesn't change anything.

Thanks i gotta try that

• 2 months later...

Hi Tom,

Can you explain SOL. I am trying to send out HTML, but reciving all like "<b>Hello World</b>" and not bold as it should be.

What is SOL, and how can I change these settings?

Thank you,

Espen

Archived