• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Total before payment

salewit

Suggestion? Is it just me or does it seem weird that credit card information is requested BEFORE the order is totalled? I've never been to an online store that did it this way. It seems like a bad idea to take payment and then show the total. Just my 2 cents.

Suggestion? Is it just me or does it seem weird that credit card information is requested BEFORE the order is totalled? I've never been to an online store that did it this way. It seems like a bad idea to take payment and then show the total. Just my 2 cents.

I thought the same thing! My web designer said that some of other big online stores do the same thing but it would scare me if I was the one checking out. The order is not actually going through at that step but the average person doesn't know that. If you put in a fake CC by saying 4111111111111111 (That's 15 ones) and change the exp date to something later, you can go on to the next page to see how it works. -CNA

no it is not strange that the CC is asked prior to displaying a total. For one, when you add items to the cart, you have a subtotal, without shipping and tax displayed at each step of the way.

if all you want to do is check for an amount, select cash, not CC. there are only two steps after the cc is entered, where the total with shipping is displayed, then confirming the order. one thing as an ecommerce owner, you want to make sure people really want to purchase the items. if your site is not secure (using SSL) people will most likeky not checkout (personally i do not even sign up at a site like that).

sears, jcpenney, amazon, etc all do the same by getting your cc info. actually some of the others store your CC # in their system so all u do is put your login name and password in and payment info is right there.

if you are worried about it, dont accept credit cards, dont buy online, . . of course, dont know how many sales a site gets without cc's . . .

Archived