• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

home page and catelog page ?

whereditgo

I have searched and can't find the answer for this, but forgive me if it has been answered before. Anyway, I currently have a site on the net using a different shopping cart, but am in the process of setting up oscommerce. Right now I have an html coded front page with links to my store. I would much rather use the catalog page as my main page, and have seen others do this. Like redwidgets.com is the same as the catalog page, just with higher page rank. Does this hurt you in the search engine rankings and how do you go about it? Is it a 301 re direct or is it simply the same page on both pages, meaning kind of a mirror page. I really would like to have my catalog page show up when someone types in redwidgets.com. Plus all of my backlinks point to redwidgets.com. I hope I am making sense. I just want my site streamlined and not like I have it now, with out compromising my search engine placement.

Thanks in advance.

Is it reality or just a dream, for some there is no difference.

what an impressive list of clients youve got..........

all you have to do is put the catalog in your public directory the same directory that you have your home page for your existing site.

:huh: :huh: :huh:

K Groner

Hi,

I have searched and can't find the answer for this, but forgive me if it has been answered before. Anyway, I currently have a site on the net using a different shopping cart, but am in the process of setting up oscommerce. Right now I have an html coded front page with links to my store. I would much rather use the catalog page as my main page, and have seen others do this. Like redwidgets.com is the same as the catalog page, just with higher page rank. Does this hurt you in the search engine rankings and how do you go about it? Is it a 301 re direct or is it simply the same page on both pages, meaning kind of a mirror page. I really would like to have my catalog page show up when someone types in redwidgets.com. Plus all of my backlinks point to redwidgets.com.  I hope I am making sense. I just want my site streamlined and not like I have it now, with out compromising my search engine placement.

There is a defined "order" that the server will search for, when someone visits your domain. I did try looking for a post in another forum where someone told me the sequence, but I do remember this:

index.htm (or index.html)

comes before

index.php

So, if you have both files in your web root path, the server will find 'index.htm' first.

If you remove 'index.htm' , then the server will display 'index.php'

Considering you are concerned about your current rankings, then I would suggest this, after you install osCommerce.

1. Simply place a redirect in your current index.html to --> index.php

2. Place any links are in the index.html on a links page or similar within your osCommerce system.

3. Wait several mths and check that any search engines are now showing all the osCommerce pages.

4. Remove index.html only if you are okay with step 3

5. You can always then add this line to your .htaccess

ErrorDocument 404 http://www.yourdomain.com

Peter

Archived