• Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

My store again for analysis :)

bbmama

Hi could you have another look please

BB4BB Online Store

She is saying that the header is NOT to big that you don't have to scroll

ARGH well I have the highest res and I stil lhave to scroll DOWN I told her - I told her i am NOT selling logos I am selling headbands and she said she cant keep doing changes for free.

I told her last week that the header was too big and she said its fine what are you talking about

I bought it up with her again today and she said its the photos and she changed the size of them.

I don't know when you first looked at the store but the photos she took of my bows were horrid and I had to retake them and upload them myself and do descripts again etc. I got her to increase the image size of the thumbnails and they looked great now she has changed the image size (which I know how to change back) and they are fuzzy again !!!

So opinions please header or photos ??

Your header logo image alone is 750 x 268. That's HUGE for a logo. I would say a good logo size is no heigher than 100px at most. Width can be as wide as you like, but try to keep it where it is or smaller. I'm using 1024 x 768 and your header takes up half of my page. If someone uses 800 x 600, I'm sure it would take up most of their screen. Your users should never have to scroll more than 2 screens at most. A one time large logo in the middle of a home page is one thing, but this is in your header, so it's on every page, which means people have to scroll... on every page.

On the good size, your product images look good.

Contributions I used : Updated 06-13-04 23:42

----------------

Vote on My Graphis Poll

Can someone give me a size that I should tell her to make it so that it looks GOOD

i want it centered in the middle at the top naturally :) but do u think like the size of the logos on the actual website (not the front page) but the pages after ??

Thanks

Look at mine on my page. I'm not saying it's the best height or width (although I think it is :D ), but you will see that with a size of 425 x 70, you will see you should be able to see a lot more of my site. As I said, width any (under 700 or so preferably) and height 50 - 100 (60 - 80 is best). Try going to your favorite national site... ebay, bestbuy, redlobster, amazon, msn, google... you get the point, and look at their logo sizes and try to see which one makes you feel the most 'comfortable' while navigating their site.

----------------

Vote on My Graphis Poll

hi neat store the one thing i dont like is how os handles images i think the thumnail contribution is what u need also insteed og 600 mp i =find pics of 400 work better, less distortion on small size and still blow up good good luck to you

Fire your web designed. First off because she doesn't know what size a good header should be and secondly because she is arguing with you (her bread and butter). First rule of sales is the customer is always right even if he/she is wrong so get rid of her. Tell her she did a a decent job on the rest of the site thus far and you don't need her services anymore.

Headers should be 100-150 pixels high at the most. It's supposed to say "this is who I am" without yelling it. Your product images look good but with that header literally taking up half my screen...it's hard to want to stay long due to the overkill of scrolling.

Good Logo sizes can be seen here:

www.cdi-buy.com

www.agiftco.com

www.bearstuffandmore.com

www.carblitesolutions.com

There are many more but those are the oscommerce stores I have bookmarked. Of course the first one is mine! :lol:

Try going to your favorite national site... ebay, bestbuy, redlobster, amazon, msn, google...

What the hell does Red Lobster have a website for? :lol:

Well its a bit late as I already paid her to that site and she refuses to my daughters website now (as in baby website photos journal etc) as I am TOO DIFFICULT becuase I have asked her to change the header and made a few requests since site was *finished* but to my mind its only when you put the store in use and come across these things that they pop up kwim ?

Also in case any one from here is doing it and don't realise my site is Live and 2 people have created phoney customer id's. Just thought I should let you know it is actually live maybe I should have said that ?

So now I have no one to do my babys site all I wanted was a photo place a journal a guestbook etc Anywone interested ?

Hi could you have another look please

BB4BB Online Store

She is saying that the header is NOT to big that you don't have to scroll

ARGH well I have the highest res and I stil lhave to scroll DOWN I told her - I told her i am NOT selling logos I am selling headbands and she said she cant keep doing changes for free.

I told her last week that the header was too big and she said its fine what are you talking about

I bought it up with her again today and she said its the photos and she changed the size of them.

I don't know when you first looked at the store but the photos she took of my bows were horrid and I had to retake them and upload them myself and do descripts again etc. I got her to increase the image size of the thumbnails and they looked great now she has changed the image size (which I know how to change back) and they are fuzzy again !!!

So opinions please header or photos ??

Time to find a new designer. She doesn't care what you want and is designing for herself.

So now I have no one to do my babys site all I wanted was a photo place a journal a guestbook etc Anywone interested ?

The majority of hosts out there now offer free photo album, guestbook, and message board programs that are extremely user friendly to build. If you just don't want to fuss with it at all, I'm sure someone will help you out, but it really is usually pretty simple to do on your own these days. (save some $$)

http://www.accessglobe.net offers many of these features for only $7.95/mo.

----------------

Vote on My Graphis Poll

Thankyou for all the advice and pms of offers of help I have replied to them :)

I am with ipowerweb is anyone else with them ? does anyone know how I can upload the gallery and do a website for my daughter on the domain name that i already have ?

Thankyou

Ps I hope I am saying that all the right way :P

Hi, I don't want to cause any drama (okay, perhaps a little bit ;)), but I'd prefer it if people on this forum would refrain from speaking badly of me. You have no idea what this woman is like, and how it is to work for her. I have been a web designer/developer for almost 8 years and I've honestly not had a single problem before she came along.

She is demanding, insatiable (I've redone parts of her site 6 times, backwards and forwards, at her request) and unhinged. I am a work at home mum with a one year old daughter, and I also study two degrees full time. The reasons I have declined making her daughter's website are that a) I simply don't have time with exams looming and B) I don't need the stress of working with this woman again.

Honestly, I love designing and I'm generally an easy-going, nice person. I do not design for myself, or I wouldn't still be working after all these years. I have made the site exactly the way she asked, charged her about 1/5 of how much of my time she actually spent, and then after the amount was settled and paid, and the site was declared finished, she has asked me to make more changes, for free, and then sent me abusive emails after I've told her I'm busy.

If that sounds appealing to any of you, you're welcome to her business! But please don't make assumptions about me based on what she's told you.

And please don't believe everything that she says I didn't realise she had been making websites since she was 13yrs old.

I didn't get to seem my website *along* the way as some of you have referred to me about

I know for a fact that I am not the first customer she has taken ages to do things for

I may have got *annoying* by emailing her msning her whatever but that is becuase a) she had my stock and B) she kept promising me time after time it will be fininshed on this day it will be finished on that day etc and 7 weeks later it finally was.

I refuse to get into a slanging match with her on here in front of everyone I know what happened and i finally in frustration came here to ask advice becuause I don't know any website people and to me it looked nice after a lot of input from me It is true I did change things along the way becuase thigns didn't look right I mean for one thing she put a photo of her own daughter in my site without asking me first if that would be okay - It is my website surely I have the right to say whose photos go in there?

And yet after all this I have still nicely said to her lets let things go under the bridge change my headers (as recommended on here) and for her to do my website for my daughter but after she told me to *Go F**K myself* in one email and more recently I am completely insane I think perhaps I should have someone else do it -

I don't think anyone should have to be subjected to that abuse as a customer do you?

Oh and I forgot the most crucial thing THE LYING - over and over again and when I caught her out I was told *yeah I feel badly about it* This was in respect to my stock being sent back to me in a FULLY PAID and addressed back to me Express post bag - after 3 weeks it came back with much deception and total lies to me about them having been sent but that they came back becuase she put the wrong postcode on the bag - but hang on I said I WROTE The bag - oh yes she said she was too embarrased to tell me she lost the bag I sent her and then there was the bit about how she then sent the stock registered post to me and that she would give me the number but but then her husband was cleaning and must have thrown it out and then the bit about going down to the post office to find out whats going on

She wants to get on here and start telling you what a rotten customer I am geeze get over it allready i am so angry at this point that I am about to explode, the more I think about it the more angry I get - how dare she abuse me on here when all I came here for was some advice.

I didn't keep changing it time and time again SHE Decided on how it would look and I didn't like it THAT WAY and asked her to change it - that is in regards to a few things. Then after the advice on here I said to her to change the header and I admit I said I didn't know what was meant becuase I didn't have to scroll BUT when I changed it to 800 x 600 boy oh boy did I see what you meant. But she told me it wasn't a simple thing to do and I would have to WAIT. She said there was nothing wrong with the headers on the store or the website that it was the thumbnails that they were too big (as mentioned here b4)

I am really upset by all of this I also have committments and obligations and a 10 month old (nearly) baby I have family committments and various other things in my life - I HIRED a *professional* to set up my website and store because I don't have the time to try and figure it all out whilst running around after a 10month - i set the business up online as to attract business whilst in a home environement with my daughter so that I don't have to go to retail stores to sell my product..

I really DON'T want to get into a slanging match on here but I will not be bullied into being silent whilst lies are being bandied around.

I did only come here for support and opinion on my website (see other post)

The site is bland, the header logo is bigger than it should be and if you paid $5 you paid to much.

There's an opinion.

Thanks I *do* think I get that now as it has been said over and over and over

I picked the wrong designer and right now I am in the process of trying to get it fixed with someone else

Archived