• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

How to get rid of my old website....

I am very much new to this, but from what I have seen and read, it looks like a good thing. One problem I face is that I have a website currently up and running. It does not have cart facilities and people who wants to make orders just email me.

I have now downloaded oscommerce and have tweaked it to what the website needs and am now ready for running it live...one BIG question I have is...

How do I get rid of my original website, which is Frontpage based and start using oscommerce? Do I just delet all the files? and if so will oscommerce kick in automatically, as it is currently installed in a totally different directory on my server..would it know where to look for the homepage, or would I have to start moving files and folders??

I know it may be an easy problem to solve for most of you, but you are talking to one old dinosaur here, so any help would be most appreciated!

How do I get rid of my original website, which is Frontpage based and start using oscommerce? Do I just delet all the files? and if so will oscommerce kick in automatically, as it is currently installed in a totally different directory on my server..would it know where to look for the homepage, or would I have to start moving files and folders??

First of all, before proceeding, you are going to make a good BACKUP of your old site! ;-)

If you are going to use ONLY osCommerce, without any non-osC static pages, I think you will have to delete the old files and directories, copy osC files and directories to the root and manually adapt both configure.php files to represent the direstory changes!

Antonios

olympicslogo_en.gif

static - pages that do not change, they are the same every time you load them. Most pages with a .html extension are static.

dynamic - pages that are different every time you load them. Most osCommerce pages are dynamic. You can load index.php many different times and get a different result on your browser depending on which category/product you're looking at. osCommerce dynamic pages all have a .php extension.

Chris Dunning

osCommerce, Contributions Moderator Team

Please do not send me PM! I do not read or answer these often. Use the email button instead!

I do NOT support contributions other than my own. Emails asking for support on other people's contributions will be ignored. Ask in the forum or contact the contribution author directly.

Archived