• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Complete Newbie Needs Help

mikey boy

Hi,

I'm confused. I've got a web site that uses PayPal shopping cart & it's OK, but I neeed something better. Iv'e tried AgoraCart, but spent a week trying to understand even the most simple features & couldn't make it work at all. So I've tried OsCommerce instead.

I've had better luck, it certainly seems easier to use, but now I'm stuck. How do I get it to appear on my website? The PayPal cart was avaialble for me to link onto each page in the website developer environment (VDeck). OSCommerce is also offered, but I can't seem to find any way of making it a part of the website.

I'm now in the same boat as I was with "AgroCart". I'm reading help pages & resources but none of it makes sense or addresses the issue I need answered. The help files of the Hosting company also don't mention this subject.

All help greatfully appreciated.

Thanks.

Mike

How do I get it to appear on my website? The PayPal cart was avaialble for me to link onto each page in the website developer environment (VDeck). OSCommerce is also offered, but I can't seem to find any way of making it a part of the website.

osCommerce is a complete eshop management system (using if desired Paypal, but not relying on it!) and is a stand-alone application, you do not just link to it like the Paypal Cart! :ph34r:

Antonios

olympicslogo_en.gif

Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr-righttttttttt.

OK, so I know that OsCommerce is different from PayPal. THis still elaves the question, how do I get it to show up on my web site?

So far I've read the material & been stumped. For instance I've downloaded the OsCommerce files, unzipped them & read all the text files. so I'm supposed to install some sample files onto the webroot of my server.... DUH, well I can't find the path that is mentioned! There's no explanation of what to do, the instructions seem to assume prior knowledge of stuff I have no idea of & provide no indication of how to get it.

So, once again. What do I do? OsCommerce seems to be provided by my hosting company (they refer all questions back to the OsCommerce website) but how do I use it?

Before directing m to any websites, please bear in mind that the instrcutions & installation notes I'm reading do not make sense to me. Eg, the installation of the sample files..... what?????? :(

i have had one html and one java intro classes,and this is very confusing to me also. i think u need to set osCommerce up as a stand alone web site not add it into a exsisting one now what u can do is keep yours up and link to os from yours but why do that os is a great program u just need to go slow and read and check it out i belive the standard install places the osCommeeerce folder one level down from your top level if u have something different that mite be the problem

it would be best if you would read the documentation, from front to back. if you still dont understand . . .

Yes, the instructions assume some prior knowledge. However, to set up a basic store, all you need to do is upload to your web server (you do know how to do that, right?) then find the install directory through your web browser.

Chris Dunning

osCommerce, Contributions Moderator Team

Please do not send me PM! I do not read or answer these often. Use the email button instead!

I do NOT support contributions other than my own. Emails asking for support on other people's contributions will be ignored. Ask in the forum or contact the contribution author directly.

There's no explanation of what to do, the instructions seem to assume prior knowledge of stuff I have no idea of & provide no indication of how to get it.

Well, yes you need some knowledge of certain stuff, like:

* Basic/Good understanding of HTML and web pages,

* What FTP is and how to use an FTP program,

* Basic/Good understanding of PHP/MySQL/Web Server.

There are plenty of sources on the internet about everything, grab a search machine and make it search for you! Otherwise, visit your local bookstore!

Before starting, ask you hosting company to tell you

* if you can use a mysql database,

* if they can enable it for your account,

* the address of the mysql server, and

* the credentials (username, password) to use!

Then, as described in a previous post, install osCommerce through your website control panel and point your browser to the directory where the script has been installed ot to [directory where the script has been installed]/install and see what's happening!

So far I've read the material & been stumped. For instance I've downloaded the OsCommerce files, unzipped them & read all the text files. so I'm supposed to install some sample files onto the webroot of my server.... DUH, well I can't find the path that is mentioned!

You are not supposed to install only some sample files, you have to install the whole set of scripts! And maybe you also have to create some directories ... ! :)

Antonios

olympicslogo_en.gif

Hi,

Thanks for all the good avice.

Well I did all that & it still didn't work. The reason was, SURPISE SURPRISE, the sample HTML I was usisng, as supplied by my web hosting company, was WRONG!

GAHHHHHHHHH! 8 hours of wasted time, half a bottle of Tylenol to dull my headache & a twitch like a 30 year alcoholic who hasn't had a drink for 2 days......ARGH!

Well at least I ahve it working now & it looks good, a lot better than that awful AgrovationCart.

Thanks to everyone who read & contributed.

Mikey

Well sof ar soo good. I've got OS Commerce linked to my desired page & can see the example "Exchange Project" shopping cart.

Now I'm stuck again. How do I alter this? Obviosuly I don't want my pages to loom like this, so I'm trying to find out where to alter the look & the graphics.

I've copied the page across in to Front Page to have a look at some of the HTML to see if there are any clues, but so far I'm just confused. The code says that (covering up my URL for now!)<!-- saved from url=(0070)https://st10.startlogic.com/abc123/ecommerce/os/catalog/default.php --> so my guess is that it is to do with "default.php". However I've gone over this file repeatedly & cannot see the connection.

So my question is, where does the code for the look & feel of the shopping cart reside? Where do i find the file that ahs all the info on which graphic files to use & so on. Also how on earth do you get rid of the "New for May" section, I've found switches for lots of other options, but not that one!

Once again, a big "Thank You" to all who take the time to read this & ehlp out a total newB.... maybe one of you wants to become rich & write a book "OsCommerce for Dummies"? I'd buy it!

Ta.

Mike

A couple of things.

The first is if the version of osC that you have uses a default.php instead of a index.php then you are using an older version and you would be better off getting the current version from the osC site and installing it instead. If you use the old version you will find it harder to install contributions and get help.

Your colors and fonts are mostly controlled by your stylesheet.

The text is mostly controlled in you language files.

When you start wanting to change something on your site look in the address bar of your browser and that will give you an idea of where to start. for example if you want to change your shipping page you will see shipping.php in your address bar so that is the file you should start looking at when thinking about making changes. There will be a second shipping.php file in your includes/languages/english/ folder and that file will controll the text (content) on the page.

Read through the docs and the forum.

The Knowledge Base is a wonderful thing.

Do you have a problem? Have you checked out Common Problems?

There are many very useful osC Contributions

Are you having trouble with a installed contribution? Have you checked out the support thread found Here

BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP!!! You did backup, right??

@mikey boy

If you are seeing an "Exchange Project" shopping cart it is way out of date - you need to upload a fresh copy of MS2 - you can download it *here*

Matti

Hi to all the people who answered, this has been a great help.

I think that a lot of the problem is due to the fatc that an out of date version of OsC is installed on the server buy the webhost company, I'm often left unable to match what the instructions say & what I've got in front of me. This might make a key difference.

I'll re read the documentation files after the pointers I've kindly received, this is really useful advice, as starting from scratch it is all too easy to get lost.

It's a great piece of software & is shaping up nicely, but the support does need to be written with users who aren't as literate with it. :)

Amen to that. I have been working on a osCommerce website for a client for over a month and I haven't even figured out how to change the "welcome" on the front page. I have a basic grasp of HTML and have purchased books on PHP and on MySQL in order to try to understand this. I have scoured the wiki site and the forums, but osCommerce continues to elude my comprehension. There are 309,021 posts on this forum and 33,568 users logged in. What does that tell me? That a Lot of people are having a very hard time using osCommerce. After struggling so long with my client's site, I'm ready to recommend that my next client use a Yahoo! store. It's ridiculous.

What would it take to get someone to write a comprehensive step by step "dummies" guide to osCommerce so a person doesn't have to be an expert in php in order to sell motorcycle parts online? The demand is there. I'd pay good money for a book that would save me from daily trips to this forum (I signed up today, but I've been visiting for a while) and wading through the wiki site.

First thing is if you have more than one installation in the same directory you are going to have problems. Before going any further I would completly remove everything you have done up to this point and start fresh.

It should take more time to up-load the files than it does to run the install script.

You can do the install manually by editing the configure.php files yourself and using phpmyadmin to install all the need tables and info into your database if needed.

osC is really pretty simple to install as long as you are not having any problems caused by your hosting company. If you cannot change permissions through your control panel try using your ftp program. If you are not allowed to change permissions at all then I would recommend either talking to your hostiing company or finding another one. If you are going to use osC then you should find a hosting company that is osC friendly as there is no reason to fight with something that should be easy.

The Knowledge Base is a wonderful thing.

Do you have a problem? Have you checked out Common Problems?

There are many very useful osC Contributions

Are you having trouble with a installed contribution? Have you checked out the support thread found Here

BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP!!! You did backup, right??

Hi.

Well DUH! During a conversation with the Host Co's tech helpline I finally got told that Telnet sessions aren't allowed on my Hosting Package. However VDeck does allow you to change permissions, although this isn't mentioned anywhere in the help files, FAQ or knowledge base....... the mind boggles!

I scrubbed the instlations & started from fresh. Some fiels returned error messages, "Upload Aborted by server" so I'll need to find out if this is going to be a problem. Anyway I set the permissions & all went well after that. Iv'e got the example store, although it doesn't look 100% right & I've got a parse error showing "Parse error: parse error in /home/mydomain/public_html/catalog/includes/boxes/affiliate.php on line 34". This shows up just under the "Top>catalog" section on the top LHS.

I suspect this might be due to some fiels getting kicked by the sever during upload, but I'm not sure yet.

I can't agreee that OsCommerce is simple & easy, I know I've had problems not related to OsC but it is generally difficult & the documentation isn't very helpful. Viewing various OsC related disussion groups & websites there is a general level of "What????" amongst a good proportion of would be users. E.g., simply dropping in terms such as "Telnet" & "SSH" into the instructions with no explanation of what this is all about. Fine if you're experienced, but simply adding to the confusion if you're not.

BTW if I can't Telnet into my site how am I to set the.htaccess rights & so on? Ah, this one might prevent me from making it secure meaning it's all a waste of time.

Oh hell, here we go again.

BTW if I can't Telnet into my site how am I to set the.htaccess rights & so on? Ah, this one might prevent me from making it secure meaning it's all a waste of time.

Can you access your site via FTP (File Transfer Protocol)? Then use your FTP program to set file permissions!

Antonios

olympicslogo_en.gif

I've found that the hosting Co's VDeck admin front end can set up password access to any given directory. So all I've got to do now is figure out these "Parse Errors" which are rampant throughout the admin process.

Does anyone know if this book "OsCommerce Users Manaula" is any good for this sort of thing?

Thanks to one & all. :D

Archived