• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

New image thumbnailer contribution

vasttech

In answer to the many posts I see here regarding people who have large images and are getting distorted thumbnails I have created a contribution to fix this issue. It takes whatever size you have set in admin for max width and creates a thumbnail with exact proportions for you on the fly. When you go to enlarge the image it will stay the same size or whatever size you set for maximum there. I have included all instructions for setting it up in the contribution. If you have any questions or problems please direct them to this thread.

NOTE: THIS ONLY WORKS FOR JPGs; however, it can be ported to work with GIF and PNG files as well. I have tested it with them all. I will post an update soon that will work for all files, but I wanted to get this up since I am seeing so many posts regarding this issue.

Hi vasttech, thank you for your important contribution.

Would it be possible to revise it so it will use the max height value instead of the max width?

Thanks again! :D

Doesn't this just change the image physical size? It really doesn't resize the image. The client must still download all the KB of a full size image.

To truly resize to smaller KB ImageMagick must be used as in this contribution:

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,2094

Right or wrong?

Salvo:

Yes, it is better. The client does not have to download the full image size. The server does the work for you. I have used ImageMagick with my auction and it is great. We need it for OSC!

There is a contribution that uses ImageMagick but the install directions are so poor I can't get it to work.

Archived