• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Very small store...

Hi,

I run a music related forum and make music myself and wanted to set up a way of selling my cd to people through my site. So i installed osCommerce. I am aiming to sell my CD for around ?3.... do i have to charge tax etc or inform anyone if i am going to be selling my own, or my forum members' CDs through my site? I dont intend on making much profit, if any from this... maybe ?1 a cd just to cover some costs... so is it a necessity to charge tax?

it's not necessary to charge tax at all because you aren't a business doing it. you're selling personal items. at least that's how my state sees it. they even let you be a business as long as you are the sole proprietor and have no employees.

Most locals (in the US at least) require you to file taxes after a set ammount (like 3 or 5 thousand) because it is income.

You would have to speak to an accountant from the state/country where you live, tax laws differ by region.

My advice comes in two flavors- Pick the one that won't offend you.

Hard and Cynical: How to Make a Horrible osCommerce Site

Warm and Fuzzy: How to Make an Awesome osCommerce Site

• 2 weeks later...

I take it by your use of ? sign you're in the UK?

First thing to do above all else is talk to an accountant. It's worth any money you pay. The last people you want to annoy is the Inland Revenue or Customs & Excise (VAT). An accountant will tell you straightaway what obligations you need to fullfil and make sure you don't fall foul of the Taxman.

Personally, I would declare it to the Revenue. Under a certain amount per year (I think it's ?52k), you don't need to become VAT registered, but again, talk to your accountant as being VAT registered has certain perks ;) . Added to that you can claim back any VAT you pay on anything you buy through your company.

Good luck

Schneckster

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Owen.

I am in the UK and I also run a music website, selling artists CDS as well as creating CDS for artists who do not have a CD for sale.

My website is registered as a business, but I do not charge tax because I an not vat registered at the moment.

(BTW....You can't charge tax if you are not vat registered)

Incidently......what's the url of your music forum.

I'd like to visit, seeing as we're both in the same line of business.

:D

Good news Iain, the VAT threshold in the UK is ?58,000. (That's still pretty low though if you are trying to make a living from your website :huh: )

mikeyj,

I use the occasional sample on my website to sell meditation music by independent artists but haven't really found a good way of doing it since Real Player tm switched to using their own servers. I have been getting people to either download an mp3 or visit supplier websites (with their permission of course) for the srtreaming audio. I see you are using asf files. Does that work well? Does it work on the Mac as well as the pc? Is it easy to do on your server?

I see you also promote independent artists. That looks like a great deal compared with the 50% + that some of the big names charge! If you were to exceed the VAT threshold I suppose that would mess things up on that front :-)

I see you are using asf files. Does that work well?

Yes, it does work well....I used to host mp3 files but, now that wma files are much smaller with supier quality, I changed to asf / asx.

Basically, my files are Windows Media Audio, called by asf or asx extentions.

Does it work on the Mac as well as the pc?

Microsoft has now launched a version of the Media Player for Mac computers, so it does work well.

Is it easy to do on your server?

Yes....it's as easy as creating streaming mp3's.......the only difference being that I use asx call files.

The best feature is the webspace I save....

....an average mp3 file is about 4 megs, whereas a wma file with the same sound quality is about a meg. :)

I see you also promote independent artists

Yep....actually I'm more geared towards indie artists.....the chart cds on the site serve as "crowd pullers" to attract the traffic.

That looks like a great deal compared with the 50% + that some of the big names charge! If you were to exceed the VAT threshold I suppose that would mess things up on that front

I guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. :D

Sounds great! I shall have to get working on setting up the right mime types in .htaccess! Your site looks very professional by the way - that's why I thought your turnover might have been higher :P

Archived