• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Editing index page

moaneek

I was offered this shopping cart through my hosting company. WOW what a deal I thought!! Well I have been struggling for 2 days. Everytime I "try" to edit the index page it goes wrong. I get pharse errors in line 13. I have been reading and reading. I have to be doing something wrong. Or do I really have to learn how to write php before I do this???

In desperate need of help!!!

Mo :blink:

I really don't understand that last post. For instance, the first line in the index page:

define('TEXT_MAIN', 'This is a default setup of the osCommerce project, products shown are for demonstrational purposes, <b>any products purchased will not be delivered nor will the customer be billed</b>. Any information seen on these products is to be treated as fictional.<br><br><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="5" cellpadding="2"><tr><td class="main" valign="top">'

If I edit any of that, i get errors. I am looking for some reference on if i have to physically write out the code to create an index page to get all the default stuff off of there???

• 9 months later...
I really don't understand that last post.  For instance, the first line in the index page:

define('TEXT_MAIN', 'This is a default setup of the osCommerce project, products shown are for demonstrational purposes, <b>any products purchased will not be delivered nor will the customer be billed</b>. Any information seen on these products is to be treated as fictional.<br><br><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="5" cellpadding="2"><tr><td class="main" valign="top">'

If I edit any of that, i get errors. I am looking for some reference on if i have to physically write out the code to create an index page to get all the default stuff off of there???

im stuck to . can anyone help or point me to a page that will help/.

thanks

• 1 month later...

i'm new to this too and i had the same problem i hardly know how to write php but its really easy when you keep trying.

the text main i just changed the text at first and kept the rest standing or you could try to remove everything and just write a short line and see what happens

For both of you:

Do not use the osCommerce File Manager to edit files. When you hit the 'Save' button it strips out essential backslashes from in front of apostrophies and causes parse errors.

Download (via FTP is best) the file you want to edit, then take a backup (just to be safe), and edit the file in a plain text editor like Notepad (not Word or Wordpad - they're not plain text editors). When done upload again to website, making sure you put the file in the right folder. If there is a problem you can restore the file from the backup you took.

Anyone using osCommerce is recommended to get a good plain text editor like Text Pad or Crimson Editor - they will be invaluable to you.

When you add text to a page content file and the text contains an apostrophy you must 'escape' it with a preceeding backslash, as in:

Let's = wrong

Let\'s = right

If you have already edited files using the osCommerce File Manager and you have parse errors restore the file from an original (good) copy and start again.

Vger

• 2 months later...

Archived