• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

comments wanted on my site

rmowles

I've had my oscommerce based store http://www.aartech.ca up for several months now and it seems to be working well but I'd like some feedback from some of the experts around here as to what could be improved.

More specifically, if you were to come to my store, would you shop there? If not, what can be changed to make it more appealing?

Thanks folks, have a great day!

Robert Mowles

http://www.aartech.ca

I wouldn't recommend having manufacturer's websites in product descriptions. I checked out the X10 and if I go to their website, I can get the exact same thing for $20 less from them, and they're offering free shipping as well.

Start with defining your target market. Are you selling to contractors who install automation equipment? Or the end consumer? If you are selling to the end consumer consider bundling products into a complete solution (like X-10 does). Also provide more documentation - explain the benefits of your products and offer to help novice customers set up their own home automation system.

The links to manufacturers can be dangerous as Don points out unless you have a referal agreement with them where they compensate you for sending visitors to them. I'm not certain, but I think the difference in price that Don mentions is because of the Canadian-US dollar exchange. You are selling in CAD while X-10 sells in USD - so the prices are pretty close to the same. Even so a visitor may prefer to go direct to the manufacturer.

I'm not certain, but I think the difference in price that Don mentions is because of the Canadian-US dollar exchange. You are selling in CAD while X-10 sells in USD - so the prices are pretty close to the same.

Oh yeah..I didn't notice that :lol: My bad!

Thanks for the feedback folks. Actually I was looking more for feedback on the layout of the site itself, but I will take your other comments into consideration. I will definitely be adding more "kits" in the future as I've noticed that sort of product is well liked.

Thanks & take care,

Robert

I just analyzed your site:

Analysis and Recommendations

TOTAL_OBJECTS - Warning! The total number of objects on this page is 23 - consider reducing this to a more reasonable number. Combine, refine, and optimize your external objects. Replace graphic rollovers with CSS rollovers to speed display and minimize HTTP requests.

TOTAL_IMAGES - Warning! The total number of images on this page is 21, consider reducing this to a more reasonable number. Combine, refine, and optimize your graphics. Replace graphic rollovers with CSS rollovers to speed display and minimize HTTP requests.

TOTAL_CSS - Congratulations, the total number of external CSS files on this page is 1. Because external CSS files must be in the HEAD of your HTML document, they must load first before any BODY content displays. Although they are cached, CSS files slow down the initial display of your page.

TOTAL_SIZE - Warning! The total size of this page is 176525 bytes, which will load in 39.78 seconds on a 56Kbps modem. Consider reducing total page size to less than 30K to achieve sub eight second response times on 56K connections. Pages over 100K exceed most attention thresholds at 56Kbps, even with feedback. Consider contacting us about our optimization services.

HTML_SIZE - Congratulations, the total size of this HTML file is 3683 bytes, which less than 20K. Assuming that you specify the HEIGHT and WIDTH of your images, this size allows your page to display content in well under 8 seconds, the average time users are willing to wait for a page to display without feedback.

IMAGES_SIZE - Warning! The total size of your images is 166775 bytes, which is over 30K. Consider optimizing your images for size, combining them, and replacing graphic rollovers with CSS.

CSS_SIZE - Caution. The total size of your external CSS is 6067 bytes, which is above 1160 bytes and less than 8K. For external files, try to keep them less than 1160 bytes to fit within one higher-speed TCP-IP packet (or an approximate multiple thereof). Consider optimizing your CSS and eliminating features to reduce this to a more reasonable size.

Check this site:

http://www.websiteoptimization.com/services/analyze/

:D

Archived