• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Usable front page

tobybailey

I am just trying out osCommerce with a view to moving our shopping site to this system.

It looks fine but one criticism I have is that in most impementations I have seen customers have to spot the "Categories" box lurking in a side-column before they can start shopping.

We are designing for not very web-aware customers and I would like to have a big "Start Shopping" button leading to a whole page showing our "Categories", or alternatively have the categories come up as the main item on the front page (much as the contents of a category do once you click on it).

I'd be grateful for any suggestions about implementing in a way that makes it clear to web beginners where you go to start shopping.

Hmm - do you see amazon.com doing that?

It is simple enough for you to add your own category list, formatted however you want it, to your main page text. Or you can add some other visual indication of categories, such as tabs in the header.

Hmm - do you see amazon.com doing that?

It is simple enough for you to add your own category list, formatted however you want it, to your main page text. Or you can add some other visual indication of categories, such as tabs in the header.

Thanks.

Yes, of course one can do anything - which is a great feature. It is a bit of work to add something decent looking to the front page, and then it looks a bit silly if you have the default "categories box" there too. (I notice a number of sites have added some other link to shopping and left the categories there so that you have the same menu appearing twice.)

I do feel it is a bit of a design flaw that you have to work quite hard to make the important thing (your available products) stand out from a lot of marginal gimicks like special offers, just added, best-sellers,......

Archived