• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

opinion wanted please

sophie88

Don't you need some sizes on your products? How do I know which size to order to fit my honey?

For sure get rid of the standard osc images and color the rest of your box and table headings to match your header.

You absolutely should install the header tags controller. I found the contrib a little difficult to figure out but got the hang of it.

If you are going to get into the search engines I'm sure you want to be listed under something other than osCommerce. You have to have titles and descriptions on each page and each product.

If you are going to run just one language and one currency you might as well get rid of the currencies and languages boxes.

I would reccommend formating out your text to make it easier to read. Use <p> to separate thoughts and make for shorter bursts of text, much easier for surfers to read. Another trick I have used on a few sites is to place an additional table in the index.php and product info.php pages and size them to 75 or 80 percent. This allows the text to stand out a little better and places the focal point on the text at a glance.

I have recently decided to move the "My Account | Cart Contents | Checkout " that is in the header to the bottom of the right column (or somewhere after the category box). This helps to move your text up a little and the search engines will index your important stuff first. They would see first the bread crum then the category box which should provide them with plenty work.

You might consider doing the same with the search box. I have noticed when the search engines spider my sites they often get hung up in the search box(don't know why) so you could move the search box to the right column also. With scraping the language box and currency box you will have lots of free realestate these changes and keep the over all look in balance.

Stay on it everything will work out.

Tim

How do you know when you know what you want to do for the rest of your life?

Is there anyone who has gone totally insane getting their site up and running,if not i could well be the first :ph34r: I no nothing about all this tec stuff so i paid to get it all going in the right direction now it seems everything (well not quite) needs altering.I think the time is coming to forget it all together thanks for your help anyway.I suppose i could watch eurovision instead ;)

I no nothing about all this tec stuff so i paid to get it all going in the right direction ...

Have you tried making changes to the site yourself?

If you do you'll probably find that there is a lot that can be done with very little or no technical knowledge. there is plenty of guidence within these forums, remember, you could always ask a question if you cannot find the answer in previous posts.

Why not have a go. As long as you back up any files and your database before you make changes you can always put them back if you mess up.

One thing I did notice was the domain you are using, '.me.uk' is specifically for personal use (non-business) I think Nominet can take the domain away if you break the rules! You will have far better results using '.co.uk' or '.com', and looks much more professional.

Hope this helps and don't give up!

If things don't change, things will definetley stay as they are!

Definately don't give up. The site looks really great, but just needs a little bit of alteration to make it fantastic..

Keep up the good work!

Dave

Is there anyone who has gone totally insane getting their site up and running?

Sophie,

I am almost there (insane) myself.

Remember, people here, when entering to review you site are LOOKING FOR error and failures. That's why everybody came with critics. And that's a good thing, you can proof your site before entering the real world.

You can see that some details are not very professional, and you should warn the one you paid for. For example, the title of the site sais osCommerce instead of saying "SexyPants - What more could a girl want?" or something related to your site.

And as everybody pointed before, the standard images of osCommerce don't look good at those big sizes.

One can tell that this programmer who built your site left everything as it comes out-of-the-box in osCommerce, and he should do more customized design for you.

I think this Solgan "What more could a girl want?", is very nice and clever.

Don't give up. There are too many ladies with ugly pants out there. They need you.

If at first you don't succeed, you must be a programmer.

Tip Posted: Languageless Reviews

One thing I did notice was the domain you are using, '.me.uk' is specifically for personal use (non-business) I think Nominet can take the domain away if you break the rules!

Untrue. I have spoken with Nominet about this, and they state that there is no problem running a commercial site under a .me.uk name.

Sophie: Your site is almost standard Oscommerce. Do something with it to put your own individual mark onto it.

The sort of product you are selling calls for (in my opinion) a much "softer" look. Pinks, pastels, good images.

:D well what can i say it is fantastic i even had a little tear in the old eyes i can't thank you enough.You are one in a million,if their were any oscars to be had you would get one for sure.

Archived