• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Customer Groups

I have a question with relation to creating customer groups.

Is there a Contribution where you can setup customer groups and that when a customer signs up for an account they will automatically added to a group dependent on the country they choose.

For example if I had a price for local customers and international customers, dependent on the country they choose on signup they will automatically be added to either a local group or international group.

Or would it be possible to customise a contribution to meet these requirements?

Thanks in advance

Cheers for that Matti!

Just one more question I am reading through the information for this contribution but I do not see anything about automatically assigning customers to groups when a customer signs up for an account.

Does this contribution have this feature or does it have to be customised to add this.

Thanks again

I did say you would need to modify it :)

It does assign a default group - it would be simple enough to add groups to the query at account signup based on location.

Matti

Hi Matti

I am fairly new to PHP but learning fast. Would you be able to help me identify what pages would have to be updated and provide some example code.

I know this is a big ask, and apologise if this is not proper forum behaviour.

Sorry for the wait - I had to sleep :blink:

create_account.php should be the only file you need to modify. I shall take a look at the Xprices structure today and post a mod.

Matti

Thank you Matti :D

I think we are probably on different time zones! I am really looking forward to your reply.

Ok - I shall try and run through this simply - I will assume that you have Xprices installed. Backup your database.

In admin->configuration->my store: set 'Number Of Prices Per Products to 2'.

In admin->customers->groups: rename 'Wholesale' to 'International ->select product price 2.

In catalog/create_account.php, after:

? ?$country = tep_db_prepare_input($HTTP_POST_VARS['country']);

add:

//Xprices mod - [email protected] ? ?
? ?if ($HTTP_POST_VARS['country'] == 223) {
? ?$customer_group = '1';
? ?} else {
? ?$customer_group = '2';
? ?}
//Xprices mod = EOF

after:

'customers_newsletter' => $newsletter,

add:

//Xprices mod - [email protected] ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?'customers_groups_id' => $customer_group,
//Xprices mod = EOF

In the above code, '223' is the countries_id for USA from the countries table in your database - change this to the country of your choice.

Add your new prices in your admin->categories/products edit page.

Thats it! :)

Matti

Thanks Matti! Your a star!!

I have not worked on it yet but am going to try it now. Will let you know how I get on...

Hi Matti

Unfortunately that did not do the trick. I followed your instructions and copied and pasted your code and also changed the country number.

I also setup both the International price and the Default price. I then went into the shop and logged in as a user from the local country and it displayed the default price. However when I logged in as a customer from the UK or US the default price still appeared.

I also loaded a fresh install of osCommerce and installed the Xprices Contribution and then added your code as descripbed. Unfortunately I had the same result as above.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Hi Matti

Please ignore my previous post I have it working now. I made a slight code error after revising.

My apologies your code worked perfectly!! :D

However just one final question. I noticed that if a customer has created an account and have been assigned to a group and then decide to change their address details "Country" that they are not changed to the appropriate group.

Would a solution to this simply be to copy your code into catalog/address_book.php?

Thanks Matti for all your help!!

I noticed that if a customer has created an account and have been assigned to a group and then decide to change their address details "Country" that they are not changed to the appropriate group. 

Would a solution to this simply be to copy your code into catalog/address_book.php?

Pretty much :)

Put the second code snippet after:

'customers_lastname' => $lastname,

Matti

Cheers! that worked

However instead of changing catalog/address_book.php I had to make the changes in catalog/address_book_process.php

I have it all working perfectly - Thanks for all you help with this code you are a life saver! :D

However instead of changing catalog/address_book.php I had to make the changes in catalog/address_book_process.php

Yes - I forgot to say :P

I have it all working perfectly - Thanks for all you help with this code you are a life saver!  :D

No prob - was fun :)

Matti

Archived