• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

PHP & the stupid

I'm trying to modify my site to make it feel more like mine....

Anyways, what I'd like to do is simply change some of the colors & the logo at the top of the page.

Now, I have no idea who to write PHP or anything like that and I've tried to figure it out with very little success.

If anyone can give me some directly, that would be great! I'm sure that I'm going to find lots of help here....

Thanks a lot!

I'm trying to modify my site to make it feel more like mine....

Anyways, what I'd like to do is simply change some of the colors & the logo at the top of the page.

Now, I have no idea who to write PHP or anything like that and I've tried to figure it out with very little success.

If anyone can give me some directly, that would be great! I'm sure that I'm going to find lots of help here....

Thanks a lot!

You don't need to know php to make changes in your shop. The docs The_Bear mentions explains how to make the changes you want but when you are new, it can be hard to understand. To change colors in your shop, look at the stylesheet.css file in your catalog directory. The boxes displayed in the left and right column, and elsewhere, are called infoboxes. So look for infobox in the css file and try changng some of the colors there. After you play with it for a while you'll begin to understand how to make such changes. For most text changes, look in the includes/languages/english/ (or whatever your language is).

HTH,

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Hey Jack,

Thanks for the info, I was just about to reply saying that I had just looked through the DOCS that Bear had suggested, and I was not getting anywhere... I will look for those & make the proper changes... Thanks for dumbing it down a little. As well, what do I need to look for when I'm trying to change the OSC cart from the site to my own logo?

Ok, I tried the suggestion that was above & it's not quite giving me the results that I want.

What I'm looking to do is simply change the color of the box itself, not the wording inside.... Still looking for help!

Thanks a lot for the help already!

Hey Jack,

Thanks for the info, I was just about to reply saying that I had just looked through the DOCS that Bear had suggested, and I was not getting anywhere... I will look for those & make the proper changes... Thanks for dumbing it down a little. As well, what do I need to look for when I'm trying to change the OSC cart from the site to my own logo?

The name of the gif for the logo is oscommerce.gif. It is located in catalog/images. There are two basic ways to display your own logo. You can just copy your own logo to catalog/images and rename it to oscommerce.gif. Or you can change the reference to it in the code. It's in catalog/includes/header.php IIRC.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Ok, I tried the suggestion that was above & it's not quite giving me the results that I want.

What I'm looking to do is simply change the color of the box itself, not the wording inside.... Still looking for help!

Thanks a lot for the help already!

You are welcome. :)

Try this: Open the catalog/stylesheet.css file and search for this code:

TD.infoBoxHeading {
 font-family: Verdana, Arial, sans-serif;
 font-size: 10px;
 font-weight: bold;
 background: #bbc3d3;
 color: #ffffff;
}

Change the bbc3d3 to ff0000. Save the file, upload it and reload your site. Does it look different?

Jack

Support Links:

All of My Addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Ok, so I have most of the colors changed, but the only thing that I can't figure out now is why do I still have little blue squares at the corner of each info box.

I really appreciate this help! I'm actually learning quite a bit!

Don't feel bad, I too am a php idiot. Do they have a php for idiots book out yet?

Anyway, I found that those little blue squares were images. I just made them the color of my box and saved them back because I could not figure out how to get rid of them completely.

I found STS to be a great mod for making the site look good. I am a php idiot and look what I was able to do with a site I am working on. It is http://turtlesmart.com/index2.html if you want to have a peek. The site is in production so just categories now. Products coming next week. Should be open in a couple of weeks. A lot of times OSC gets bashed by newbies because of how it is written. It takes a little time but now, I LOVE OSC and what it can do. You are surely in the right place for help. The community is AWESOME! Thanks everyone.

John

You could put the images anywhere on the server if you are loading them with HTML. OSC places imagest in your images directory located at yourdoamin.com/catalog/images in case you want to put them all in one place.

Did you try one of those WYSIWYG HTML contributions? I haven't and was just curious about them.

I hope this helps out.

John

No, I haven't tried it.... The only thing that I'm using is Front Page for my stylesheet editing & crimson edit for my php editing... other that I'm totally lost.

I suppose you could use your front page to generate the HTML for you if you wanted and did not know how to write it on the fly. Of course you would just use the relevant html pertaining to your product page layout. Also, I think you would have to manually make the image paths full and not relative if front page makes them relative paths (not sure if it does or not). Then just place that HTML in as your product description.

If I am off, someone bail me out! Hope that works for you.

John

The corner images are in catalog/images/infobox/

you can change the colour of the images or make transparent gifs to use instead this will allow the background colour to show through, thus if you decide to change the colour you do not have to redo the corners again

No longer giving free advice. Please place deposit in meter slot provided.  Individual: [=] SME: [==] Corporation: [===]
If deposit does not fit one of the slots provided then you are asking too much! :P

Is your Osc dated try Phoenix  raising oscommerce from the ashes.

Ok, so I have most of the colors changed, but the only thing that I can't figure out now is why do I still have little blue squares at the corner of each info box.

I really appreciate this help! I'm actually learning quite a bit!

As john mentioned, they are images and are located in images/infobox (see the connection?). Inforboxes can be drawn with square or rounded corners by choosing which image to display. You can change the color as suggested but that may mess up some of your other boxes that you don't see all of the time (like upcoming products) and you won't be aware of it. Although, you will need to change the color if you change the color of your inforboxes headers so that they match. If you go into includes/boxes, you will see files for all of your boxes. If you look at those files you will see something like

new infoBoxHeading($info_box_contents, false, false);

The false, false represent the shape of the left and right corners. Changing them to true, true or true, false or false, true will alter how the corners are displayed. Play around with them and you will quickly see the result.

Jack

Support Links:

All of My Addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Archived