• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Please please help me....please...please

jcr100

Hi Everyone!

I think I have a tricky question and havent had any luck searching the forums for an answer so would really appreciate any help :)

Summary:

My site sells USB Flash Drives among other stuff.

My Webpage

I want to be able to offer the function whereby someone can order a flash drive with their name or a message printed on it.

I thought it might go something like this:

1) Customer lands on website & clicks on product called 'Flash Drive with Custom message' thus being taken to product_info page.

2)They select from various atributes (e.g. font type, bold/italics etc) which determine how their message will appear.

3) They add their custom message to a form field.

4) They press 'add to cart' and proceed as checkout as normal.

It is 3) which is really causing me trouble. Does anyone know how I might do this - allowing the cusomer to add a custom message of up to about 30 characters.

I imagine this type of thing would also be really useful for online card stores that want to offer the customer the chance to add a custom greeting.

I considered just overiding one of the unused fields in the create_account page but thought it would would be confusing to let the customer wait till checkout to add a custom message.

Any help/ ideas would be really appreciated !

thanks

james

Check out the Option Type Features contribution, which allows you to add custom fields. To see it in action, click on my WWW link, then go to the Personalized category and select the one product listed.

HTH,

Terry

Terry Kluytmans

Contribs Installed: Purchase Without Account (PWA); Big Images, Product Availability, Description in Product Listing, Graphical Infobox, Header Tags Controller, Login Box, Option Type Feature, plus many layout changes & other mods of my own, like:

Add order total to checkout_shipment

Add order total to checkout_payment

Add radio buttons at checkout_shipping (for backorder options, etc.)

Duplicate Table Rate Shipping Module

Better Product Review Flow

* If at first you don't succeed, find out if there's a prize for the loser. *

Hi Terry,

Thank you so very much for your reply! I have just looked at your site and think that's exactly what I want to achieve.

I was actually reading some of your earlier posts when trying to figure this one out but didnt realise we were after the same thing and that you had come up with a solution. :D

You have made my day!

Now i just have to try and implement this... qute a chalange for a newbie like me

james

Hi James,

It took a bit of work to get it right, but as long as you read the instructions carefully and do all they say, you should have no problems.

(Famous last words... ) :)

Good luck!

Terry

Terry Kluytmans

Contribs Installed: Purchase Without Account (PWA); Big Images, Product Availability, Description in Product Listing, Graphical Infobox, Header Tags Controller, Login Box, Option Type Feature, plus many layout changes & other mods of my own, like:

Add order total to checkout_shipment

Add order total to checkout_payment

Add radio buttons at checkout_shipping (for backorder options, etc.)

Duplicate Table Rate Shipping Module

Better Product Review Flow

* If at first you don't succeed, find out if there's a prize for the loser. *

Archived