• Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Eval Needed: LovelyPink Diamond Jewelry

lovelypink

Hi all,

We are in the beta testing stages of our web site:

http://www.lovelypink.com

We would really really appreciate any testing and/or comments you may have for us including: design/layout, features, and usage process.

For your constructive comment/help, we will private message you a special coupon code for use on our site. :)

If you want to test checkout, just put a note that you are just testing!

Thanks a million!

Teddy

It's a fairly stock setup, but am glad to see that there's actually some pink in your store to go with your company name! :)

A few comments:

- Viewing at 800x600 resolution, I have to scroll about 50-75 pixels to the right on your index page to see the full screen. Other pages seem fine.

- On your product pages, if I don't maximize my browser completely, the product info is overlapping the product image. See screenshot here.

- Would recommend a color other than red for your discounted prices. I thought it really clashed with the pink. Maybe a dark purple?

- Suggest moving the 'Add to Cart' button up closer to the top, instead of at the bottom. Makes the suggestion much more obvious.

- All of the links in your 'Why Lovely Pink' section are bolded, except for 'Contact Us.'

- Change your heading titles from grey to a nicer contrasting color. Maybe dark purple? (Can you tell I'm a little partial?) :)

- On your 'About Us' page, you have underlined text that isn't a link (Our Internet Team), as well as underlined text that is a link (i.e. GIA). Might be a little confusing for your visitors. Perhaps make links underlined and a different color, and give a different font weight/color/decoration to your headers. Also found underlined, non-linked text on Product Quality page.

- Would humbly suggest you change any $666 prices to something else. For many, that number is associated with the devil.

- If you expect people to shell out big dollars for jewelry, then I'd strongly recommend you include more contact information than a simple feedback form. Company mailing address? Phone Number?

- You don't say where you'll ship. Are sales restricted to the US? If shipping internationally, customs declarations that indicate what the contents are MUST be included on packages. That contrasts your return policy. If you're only shipping within the US, that wouldn't be an issue. (I see on the 'Create Account' page that only US is listed as the country, but I'd be peeved if I went through the whole process of finding a product, adding it to my cart, and finding out only at checkout that I couldn't place an order with you.)

- Why are gender and date of birth required on your create account form? I know that I wouldn't provide them -- too much of an intrusion on my privacy. If you don't really need them, then get rid of them. Why put in an extra barrier to business?

- In your privacy policy, you state:

LovelyPink does not use any 3rd party fulfillment center to ship our products unlike most of the other online jewelry centers, so no information will be sent to such centers.

How do you know that most of the other online jewelry centers use 3rd party fulfillment services? Do you need that in there? (I don't think so.) I'd just change it to read:

LovelyPink does not use any 3rd party fulfillment center to ship our products, so no information will be sent to such centers.

General summation: I like that you've incorporated 'pink' into your color scheme, but would like to see a better contrasting color than grey to go with it. The site is functional, but not all that 'classy' yet. Your jewelry looks very nice, so a bit of polish will go a long way to achieving that look.

HTH,

Terry

Terry Kluytmans

Contribs Installed: Purchase Without Account (PWA); Big Images, Product Availability, Description in Product Listing, Graphical Infobox, Header Tags Controller, Login Box, Option Type Feature, plus many layout changes & other mods of my own, like:

Add order total to checkout_shipment

Add order total to checkout_payment

Add radio buttons at checkout_shipping (for backorder options, etc.)

Duplicate Table Rate Shipping Module

Better Product Review Flow

* If at first you don't succeed, find out if there's a prize for the loser. *

hi terry,

wow! thanks for the great feedback and time you've spent.

did many of the changes you suggested, even lowered our pricing on that particular item! ;)

some of the other changes, i may have to figure out how or what to do...

is the overlapping problem consistent on other setups? i haven't tinkered with that particular page... but i changed the img align to left, and it dissappeared. i think maybe IE has some trouble figuring out layout when img align is right??? is this consistent behavior on other versions and browsers?

we'll put in a new contact contribution soon with the suggestions you've made :)

re: customer info. i agree totally with the barrier to signup, but i didn't find a way to set those fields to "not required" in the admin panel. if i put don't show, they totally don't show up. is there an easier way, besides tinkering with the code?

teddy

What about taking it totally away from the Stock Layout? Maybe fix the width and put a nice border around it?

Also smaller things like the colour of the links when you mouseover them.

Also, particularly for Jewellery sites, I like to see really high resolution images on white background. It makes the product look more classy.

What about taking it totally away from the Stock Layout?  Maybe fix the width and put a nice border around it?

Also smaller things like the colour of the links when you mouseover them.

Also, particularly for Jewellery sites, I like to see really high resolution images on white background.  It makes the product look more classy.

hi gary,

thanks for your input. we will try to get higher resolution images next time.

re: link color changing. is that not happening on your browser? if not, could you let me know your setup?

thanks,

teddy

I agree with burt on the image background. I do like the idea of you putting the ruller beside your products though- it gives a quick visual reference to the size. I think you could take much better product shots with a little more setup though-

Take a white background (heavy bond white paper will work for what you need to shoot, its non reflective) and carefully lay out a neat ruler pattern on it in a sharp point pen (something that won't bleed) along one side. That would give the ruler effect, showing your products size, but would not look like it was thrown together in someones basement.

Use two lamps at opposing angles (you may want to use a piece of paper or a pillowcase in front of the lamps to cut glare) , and don't use the flash on your camera. This should give you bright, vibrant product shots, and it will look much more professional in my opinion.

My advice comes in two flavors- Pick the one that won't offend you.

Hard and Cynical: How to Make a Horrible osCommerce Site

Warm and Fuzzy: How to Make an Awesome osCommerce Site

hi jason,

thanks for your comment and the tips on photography. i will try out the photo taking technique... we might just have to end up purchasing one of those photoboxes designed to take jewelry... pretty pricy tho.. around $1000+

teddy

Maybe try this before you spend a bunch of money-

http://bermangraphics.com/coolpix/jewelryphoto.htm

It looks like it might work for you, and with a little work it will probably yield as great results as the $$$ model.

My advice comes in two flavors- Pick the one that won't offend you.

Hard and Cynical: How to Make a Horrible osCommerce Site

Warm and Fuzzy: How to Make an Awesome osCommerce Site

• 2 weeks later...

jason, i used the setup you recommended... but i think the most important change was buying a cheaper digi camera with manual settings.

rich, i stored my products in access database... then use sql to extract the data creating the table along the way.

thanks meimei! i hope to improve the look later on :)

It sure is a nice start. But I have to say that if I'm going to spend that kind of money on jewelry, I want to be sure that I'm visiting an entirely professional place and this doesn't instill that kind of confidence. There's nothing *wrong* with it per se, but it just doesn't portray that extra something - something along the lines of bluenile.com.

I don't know how business has been so far. I hope it's been brisk :D But I'd seriously put a refining of the design as a top priority. Make it more lux I'd say - and you can do that and still keep the lovely pinks & purples ;)

Just my $0.02!

Laura

It sure is a nice start.? But I have to say that if I'm going to spend that kind of money on jewelry, I want to be sure that I'm visiting an entirely professional place and this doesn't instill that kind of confidence.? There's nothing *wrong* with it per se, but it just doesn't portray that extra something - something along the lines of bluenile.com.

I don't know how business has been so far.? I hope it's been brisk? :D But I'd seriously put a refining of the design as a top priority.? Make it more lux I'd say - and you can do that and still keep the lovely pinks & purples? ;)

Just my $0.02!

Laura

hi laura,

thank you very much for your comment. i definitely agree with you regarding the need to make the site "prettier". but our plans for the web site is to do things in stages... i want to make sure i can get the oscommerce to do all the functionality i need it to before we try to put a nicer face on it. this is also why i have not done any SEO changes or any marketing for the site. :)

*edit*

Archived