• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Admin and Security

Stryks

Hi all,

I'm just trying to figure all of this out for a new install and there are a few things that I cant really figure out.

Firstly, how do I setup the secure aspect of the site? I mean ... I have a domain name registered and I have a simple HTML page hosted, but who do I have to contact to organize the secure side of things, and what should I be asking them to actually do? Or do I do it?

Secondly ... the admin tool. What is the situation with this tool and security. If I see an osCommerce site out there, why cant I just cast around until I find the directory name they are using to store the tool and then just go in and mess with the settings? Change the prices down on things I want ... that kind of thing?

What steps can be taken on a remote host to secure this?

Sorry if these are basic questions ... I have been searching around on here but I cant really find a solid answer on these topics.

Thanks.

I don't know the answer to your security question, but I do know that you need to password protect your admin folder...that's how you keep others from getting into it...

Like the man above said... contact your host and ask him to put /catalog/admin/ dir under the password. After it's done, the next time you access your ftp, in admin dir you'll find .htaccess file. Don't delete it.

Archived