• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

A module for extra subproducts selections...

lex

The situation is quite simple. I would like to offer a possibility to the customers to also buy less important (optional) product addons, after they purchase some of main products. Like, if customer buys a PC in the store, they can also buy some extra RAM, harddrives and simmilar... Buying RAM alone is however not possible. I wouldn't like it to be list on products list either. Not on a main products page at least (otherwise it would become a mess). Thus it whould somehow be attached to a PC system and someone can buy it ONLY as an extra...

Is there a module that solves this?

Perhaps osCommerce solves that already but I haven't be able to discover it yet (using it for a few weeks by now), nor I could find the topic that covers this....

An example. On this page you have main product:

http://www.mikroelektronika.co.yu/english/...ools/psocds.htm

when you scroll down to: "Important to know", you'll find the pins picture link, above the text: "With Development system you can by a extra PSoC MCU. Please click on picture for more information."

So the link leads to a this page:

http://www.mikroelektronika.co.yu/english/.../components.htm

How can I include a such extra's products which can't be baught separatly but exclusively with some of main products?

I was thinking to make a separate product category and somehow hide it in a menu, so I can include only each of it's ID's onto a products pages where I want it... but it would be a workarround, not practical at all and still without a restriction that (once included into one of main products pages) customer chose an optional subproduct, in stead of buying a main product at all... I'm not even sure if it would work at all. Perhaps there is a better solution. That's why I'm here.

---------------

I'm a newbie here (not salling PC's, it was just the best example I could think of) and I would like to say that osCommerce is a great application. Far better I ever expected. Petty that register_globals must be on, but I can live with it. You can't have it all...

;-)

Thanx in advance!

Take a look in your database at the three tables

products_options

products_options_values

products_options_values_to_products_options

These link products from your products table with options (e.g. extra RAM, bigger hard drive) available. Each product can have several options; each option can be offered with several products. You can charge more for options too, or charge less.

If you've still got the default database installed, find a product that has some options, then look at the database contents to see how those products are linked to the options.

Ok that's at least something.

Explain it to me in a human terms please. ;-)

Take a look in your database at the three tables

products_options

products_options_values

products_options_values_to_products_options

Where do I do that?

These link products from your products table with options (e.g. extra RAM, bigger hard drive) available. Each product can have several options; each option can be offered with several products. You can charge more for options too, or charge less.

If you've still got the default database installed, find a product that has some options, then look at the database contents to see how those products are linked to the options.

Again, where do I start looking?

You also mention product atributes. I know I saw this under /admin/ --> 'article options', but that part is rather confusing then intuitive... Please don't take me wrong, 'cause the rest of admin CMS I do understand.

Well, I'm doing all my database admin using phpMyAdmin. You can probably use whatever you've been using so far for setting up your database. If you haven't got as far as looking at the database because you've been editing all your php files... well, it's database time!

Do you understand relational databases? If you do, you're laughing, because the good news is that what you want to do is built into osCommerce and all you have to do is put the data into the existing database structure. If you don't know about relational databases, I hope you pick things up quickly.

It's all in those four tables though. Get yourself to the stage that you can look at the structure and contents of the tables, and see if you can work out how the tables are linked and what it means. If you need more help at that stage, post again.

Thanx for your patience Ewan. No I haven't been using phpMyAdmin yet. I have to admit, my knowledge of mysql is limited (on beginners level). I saw the database tables through a Linux console (having a status of a beginner on this one too.... trying to find a way home, just as Voyager ;-) being sick of windows sometimes...) and I added one or two more tables that were required for certain contributions... but that's as far as I get regarding mysql... Al right, alright, I can also create databases, insert tables, make here and there a dump, but 'relational databases' are a bit above my level. (I am however a fanatic with html, styles and photoshop, so if you need any help on this, just whistle!).

I asked my host, who is also friend of mine to install phpMyAdmin and he said he will. How about I make some noise when it's done so we take it from there again? I also discovered this Wiki documentation stuff and I'll do some reading in a meantime.

P.S. I did see mysql structure in a pdf document which is distributed along with oscommerce 2.2 M something... and I'll take a look again and try to check on these relations you're talking about.

Where did you find the diagram of the database? That would be really useful - save me working the rest out for myself (I'm only one step ahead of you).

Good luck with phpMyAdmin. It's pretty good once you find your way around it.

When you unpack "oscommerce-2.2ms2.tar.gz (oscommerce-2.2ms2)", you'll find tep_database-pr2.2-CVS.pdf in it. Hit Ctrl+ as many times you need until the tables are magnified so you can read/view them... Have a fun!

By the way, if you're working with windooos, use WinRar to exctract it, 'cause I'm not quite sure if .zip file too contains this database pdf file.

why are you playing around with tables to add attributes? Just go into the admin and click on products attributes and set up additional options from there.

If I was crafty, this would be a funny signature.

I'm not sure if I need atributes to solve my issue. I have to figure that out. Even I do, I wonder how?... See my first post...

My mind is still open for all meaningfull suggestions.

why are you playing around with tables to add attributes?  Just go into the admin and click on products attributes and set up additional options from there.

That's a good point.

The reason I'm playing around with tables is that I'm adding 1000+ products whose details are currently held in a flat file database. I could add the attributes product by product for 1000+ times, or I can work out how the SQL database is structured, and import the required data on a table by table basis.

Of course, if Lex only has a few products to add then the way to go is through Admin, as you suggest. I must admit I never even thought of this.

Lex, if I've sent you on a wild goose chase then I apologise.

No man you didn't. That's a second time already someone claims that I should do it with atributes, but once I ask how, sudden silence....

Look I looked at the admin part where you can play with atributes. But my issue is not to ad to a product red green or blue color, so the customer can chose.

Did you find that database blueprint pdf file?, otherwise I can mail it to you or place it somewhere so you can download it...

Yes I did find the pdf thanks, and I've found it useful already.

I've re-read this thread, and I think I see (a) what you want to do and (b) why you think attributes won't do it.

Can you post a description of the sort of product you'll be selling and the sort of product you'll be selling as add-ons-but-not-alone. It'll be easier for me to explain if I'm talking about real products instead of making something up.

Archived