• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

New site ready for launch. Have at it!

ACE99

Free shipping only kills your profits if your profit margin is low :)

To take a little profit and gain a new customer for a consumable is a viable tradeoff in the log run.

My advice comes in two flavors- Pick the one that won't offend you.

Hard and Cynical: How to Make a Horrible osCommerce Site

Warm and Fuzzy: How to Make an Awesome osCommerce Site

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi there,

Nice, clean looking site.

You'd asked about hosts - I've been with Dreamhost for quite some time now and have been pretty happy with them overall. Whenever I've run into a problem they've been very responsive and quick to fix or help - whatever is necessary. Not terribly expensive either.

Check 'em out!

Laura

Thanks for your input on the site. I am currently working on phase 2 of the store now, and I hope to implement at least 20 additional contributions, add more dynamic content, randomize images and ads on the homepage so the site looks new on every visit, turn the product info pages into those similar to Amazon, with lots of additional content and reviews, cross-selling, etc, and finally, we're going to completely upgrade the checkout process.

Speaking on the checkout process...

THE OSC CHECKOUT PROCESS NEEDS IMPROVEMET!

Osc is awesome, but the entire checkout process is outdated and not extremely effective in my opinion. The fact that you are forced to create an account is just not good, and I don't know how many countless orders have been lost by myself and everyone else using the default checkout process. Sure, there is a "Purchase without account" contribution, but I'm looking for something better.

What we need is a seamless integration of the account creation process into the checkout process, just like all the major online retail store do it today. When you buy something, you should be placed right into the checkout screens with fields to enter appropriate data, and then asked after purchase if you'd like the data saved for faster entry next time. There are several other effective ways to do it, but the point is that the account creation process should be as un-evasive as possible.

I am studying closely the checkout processes of several major online stores. Hopefully with the help of a really good PHP programmer we can come up with a new contribution that will help everyone increase their conversion rates and the satisfaction of their customers.

If anyone would like to help with this, and has experience to do so, please send me a PM. Thanks.

You know, you can always get a dedicated box for around $99 from Rackshack/EV1 and other like providers.

1 site per box = fast fast fast. I run 4 or 5 on mine and my load times rock.

My advice comes in two flavors- Pick the one that won't offend you.

Hard and Cynical: How to Make a Horrible osCommerce Site

Warm and Fuzzy: How to Make an Awesome osCommerce Site

• 2 months later...

Ok I just redid the entire look of this store. Some of you probably don't remember the original, but it was wide-screen, and looked kind of like amazon.com. Amazingly, I redid the store from scratch and I currently have over 50 of the best contributions working together.

Please give me any feedback or ideas. Thanks.

Archived