• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Page Rank 8 and back again

BlueYon

Great thread guys, thanks for the tips and information from various contributors. Now I just need to try and use some of it to get some results. Currently getting ranking of PR 0 so plenty of work to do.

Still a long way ahead but just submit to high ranking directories and avail of link building services to get huge back links. You can have one-way linking, reciprocal linking, three-way linking, or paid directory submission strategies.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi everyone.

I would like to know if someone could give me assistance with why my PR is 0 ... I have been around for 2 months ... I know I have sites that link to me ... but when I type link:www.digitaladdiction.co.za ... it says there is nothing. If you go to oneshop.co.za, or sennheiser.co.za or a few other local directories, you will see the link for www.digitaladdiction.co.za ... but I dunno ... I'm sure by now you guessed the digitaladdiction.co.za is my site ... so if anyone is willing to help ... please do ... also, if you would like to speak to me directly, go the the contact page on my site and select itai for the e-mail ... I would really appreciate all help ... I need to get high up in the listings.

Thanks

Itai

Google doesn't update PR on a regular basis. Sometimes it is once a year, sometimes it is more. They also don't list all sites that link to you. All you can do to increase PR is to keep adding links to your site. Eventually it will change.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

• 3 weeks later...
I have read a few threads in this forum about improving page rank when using osCommerce and I have noticed a few things that nobody has mentioned so far. Here is what I did to get to a page rank of 8 and then lose it in after changing stupidly changing domain names on 2 of my sites.

This is what I did:

I started out with the standard layout of osCommerce and after months of having no page rank or my site being indexed past the first page I decided to try to fix the problems.

I have been using Google AdWords and having to pay for visitors to my site. So far I have been getting around 300 a day which easily is enough to get a page rank.

1st I set my site to use safe search engine urls, force cookies and not to create a session ID for spiders. After 1 month this gave me a page rank of 1.

2nd I installed the BTS template because it loads pages quicker then the standard osCommerce and also automatically generate the Meta tag information. I particularly like this mode because it sets the links in Google to display the prices at the end. This was not enough though. Any one who has had there site index by Google will know that it will display the first words that Google�s spider will come to on you page. Normally it is Top > Catalog> etc� This is not good so I added the <?php echo META_TAG_TITLE; ?> <?php echo META_TAG_DESCRIPTION; ?> to the top of the page. I then used the style sheet to change the height into 0px and make the words invisible. This worked and when Google index my site again I had a perfect description of my products.

3rd Google was still not indexing my pages past 3 layers so I installed a page with links to all my products. Again I used style sheet to hide this from customers but Google�s spiders will still see it. Now from what I have read Google does not like there being more then 100 links on a page. I have over 700 products so I had to split the links page into 8 pages (don�t for get to create back links to you main page). After another month my rank went to 3.

4th I linked my 3 duplicate osCommerce sites(for different countries) onto a links page which put my page rank to 4 on my main page but rankings on my other pages was at 3 after another month of waiting. I then decided to put links to all my other sites at the bottom of the pages and again use style sheets to hide it from customers. This then spread my ranking across the rest of the pages.

5th I added 1 link to a friend on my links page to people who had a higher page rank then me and got them to link back. After 2 weeks this increased my page rank to 5. After that I went looking for all the sites I could link to with a higher PR. I managed to get over 30 people on my links page which put my ranking to 8 after another month.

Anyway, I decided to change my domain names on to of the sites so they would all match up and managed to lose the PR back down to 1. I think the PR will come back again but it will take along time.

A few more tricks

I have found that using the random new product mod increase�s Google�s spider visits. I have read some where it�s because Google thinks you a have updated the content.

Google likes .html extensions. If you are hosting from home change your apache config to include html extensions to run .php code.

I dont think you fully understand how you get pagerank. It is down the sites with pagerank linking to you and not the other way round.

For the record: discuising text so users cannot read it but spiders can is a technique called cloaking and can get your site booted from google alltogether.

There is only one OSC site i have seen with a rank over 7 and that is the google shop.

Based on OsCommerce 2.2 MS2 - Mods Including: Customer Approval, STS Template System, OS-CMS, Sage Line 50 Sync, Locate a Stockist, Auto Thumbnailer, Easy Populator, Visitors Stats, Extra Images, Header Tags Controller, Unsold Cart, Products w/o Description/Prices/Images Reports, Backup Customers Table, Login to See Prices. Full customised products_info.php page. OSC Links Manager. Minimum Order Amount. Visitor Web Stats. Google Sitemap. All products page (user sitemap).

The OsCommerce Site is hosted on 1 domain with 20 feeder domains extracting data from OS-CMS & the shop catalogue.

If you would like to view my website in relation to any of my posts you can google my forum username to find my URL or add a (dot)co(dot)uk to the end of it.

• 2 months later...

http://oyoy.eu/google/pr/?url=http%3a%2f%2...ss.co.ukr

Is this a good result?

But if I put my website name itno google its not on the first page?

Google places your site in its list of sites at a certain position. This is called the index position. The hihger you are in the index (the closer to number 1), the better the position. In order to dertermine your index position, google uses over 100 items. Page Rank is one of those items. Your PR of 1 is not good but it is normal for new sites. But concentrating just on the PR is a mistake due to how google decides where to place your site in the index.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

<h1> is a good idea I am actually using <h2> but <h1> should be better.

This is what I have in my stylesheet.css

.hidden {visibility: hidden; font-size:0px;}

And this is what you should display at the top

<h1 class="hidden">Your description</h1>

I have Randelia Custom_META_Tags_Per_Item installed on my site,

I have done the H1 and class hidden thing in stylesheet for my pageHeading. Instead of the title as I kept getting errors trying to do it on the title.

When I didnt get the errors the h1 tags where below my page title and not wrapping any text at all.

I have changed the stylesheet to

.hidden { font-size:20px;}

instead of

.hidden {visibility: hidden; font-size:0px;}

Will this help seo?

If you look at

http://get-wireless.co.uk/dev/bluetooth-us...apter-p-42.html <--Test Site

where I have done the above mod and then look at

http://get-wireless.co.uk/Shop/bluetooth-u...apter-p-42.html <--Live Site

where I havent done the mod yet you will see that I was adding the pageheading again and wrapping that in H1 tags as I heard some time ago that h1 carried more weight with the SE's

Also what other ways are there of getting back links without paying for them.

and to be sneaky I have a links page on my web site if anyone fancies exchanging banners ;)

I am on page rank 0 and no ideas what I am doing wrong.

I have read the thread and found some interesting points that i will try to implement.

If anyone has suggestions about my site (www.hatsfromoz.com.au) I will be most grateful.

Thank you all,

Rudolf

I have read the thread and found some interesting points that i will try to implement.

If anyone has suggestions about my site (www.hatsfromoz.com.au) I will be most grateful.

Thank you all,

Rudolf

Page rank is only determined by links linking to your shop. If your PR is low, you need to increase those links. But PR is not updated regularly so it is not something you can change today and see a difference of tomorrow. It might be months before google updates the PR. In the meantime, you should keep adding backlinks. Google doesn't like to see a lot of links added in one go, thus one of the reasons for the long delay on the update, so it is best to add them slowly.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

I was reading the thread and there is a discussion about hidden links.

Personally, I would not risk it. Even if Google does not recognise CSS now, it may in future.

Here is whate I did -- I have created a page with links to all of my products. I made page as "cryptic" as possible. It only contains our own model numbers and not even title on the page. No useful info for humans and nothing useful that crawlers can put into search engines. So, my guess is that this page will not appear in search engines.

But it has links to all the products, so this will provide spiders with quick access to any product on the site.

Now, where to put the link to page?

Find the place people will least likely to click on. In my case, I have a footer with copyright message. "Copyright 2007 Hats From Oz". "Hats From Oz" was a link to the first page. I changed it to be a link to a products listing page I created.

Advantages -- this link appears on all the pages on the site and it is unlikely people will click on it. Even if they did, it looks like some internal maintenance page and they will just hit the BACK button.

I only did that this morning and already saw occasional spider getting there. Will wait to see if it improves my position in search engines.

Site is www.hatsfromoz.com.au

I can send the code to produce the listing page if anyone is interested.

Rudolf

I don't understand the reason for going to such extremes to create page of links for the products. Why not just install the All Products with Images and let the search engines get to the links naturally?

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

I don't understand the reason for going to such extremes to create page of links for the products. Why not just install the All Products with Images and let the search engines get to the links naturally?

Jack

I , for example, have too many products to be listed on a single page. Also, products are different in a sense that they are targeted to a different markets.

If customers do get to this page (and they will if it gets into search engines), they will be confused.

I will look at the contribution you have mentioned.

Rudolf

P.S. This page is actually handy for myself as well, as I do not remember what each product looks like, so it gives me quick access to any product

I , for example, have too many products to be listed on a single page. Also, products are different in a sense that they are targeted to a different markets.

If customers do get to this page (and they will if it gets into search engines), they will be confused.

I will look at the contribution you have mentioned.

Rudolf

P.S. This page is actually handy for myself as well, as I do not remember what each product looks like, so it gives me quick access to any product

If your list of products is long (over 50) and on one page, it is more likely tohurt you with the search engines instead of help. The All Products with Images is setup with SEO in mind so that is not a concern.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Thank you all,

Rudolf

Remove your osCsid!! this is must, use the SEO Urls contribution, you won't regret it.

Monito

• 4 weeks later...
I am still trying to make my way up ..... my target wud be to get my PR3 to atleast Pr 4 in the next month or two ... can u guys give me some suggestions apart from using osCommerce .
All you can do is get more links to your site. You can do that with link exchnages, one-way links (usually from directories) or by purchasing them. If you add too many at once, it will probably hurt you so they should be added gradually over time. There is no telling when google will do a PR update though so it may be next spring before you see a difference (give or take three or four months).

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

I have a question...might be a dopey question, but...I'll ask it anyway.

I've learned enough to know that exchanging links with other websites that have higher page rank than mine is a good thing.

The osCommerce website has terrific page rank. And I've posted here many times and have occasionally linked my website in posts when asking for help with this and that. My shop is listed in the OSC shops directory, as well.

Would it help to increase page rank for my site (which presently is 3) if I put a link to osCommerce on my Links page? Or would it be irrelevant or even hurtful to do so because OSC has nothing to do with what I sell?

I have a question...might be a dopey question, but...I'll ask it anyway.

I've learned enough to know that exchanging links with other websites that have higher page rank than mine is a good thing.

The osCommerce website has terrific page rank. And I've posted here many times and have occasionally linked my website in posts when asking for help with this and that. My shop is listed in the OSC shops directory, as well.

Would it help to increase page rank for my site (which presently is 3) if I put a link to osCommerce on my Links page? Or would it be irrelevant or even hurtful to do so because OSC has nothing to do with what I sell?

You should never put a link to the other site on your site if it can be avoided. Having links from here to your site will help more if your site is related to oscommerce in some way (as far as your products). Otherwise, it may not help much or could hurt if you have a lot of such non-relevant links.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

So...a relevant site that links to mine and I don't link back...that link is more valuable for me in the eyes of Google than if I were trading links with the site?

Kind of defeats the whole purpose of the Links Exchange contrib, doesn't it?

Let me ask you this: Does it help or hurt to place links on my website to other websites whose content may have something to do with what I sell? But...they're not linking back to me?

Say...I'm selling quilts. And I link to a few websites that offer articles and information about the history of quilting.

Does that hurt or help my pagerank?

The link exchange contribution is for link exchanges. If you can get one-way links, it is not needed. But links from a site to another site don't do anything for the originating site, which is why one-way links are very difficult to get. Let's say you sell apples and I sell cider. I want you to link to me since that would be a very relevant link. You agree and I end up very happy since my sites PR improves. But nothing has changed for your site. It doesn't matter if my sites goes on to out-rank google, it won't affect your site at all. So since there is nothing in it for you, you would very soon stop the practice of giving out one-way links.

Having links on your quilting site to a site that talks about the history of quilting would be a nice feature for your customers but wouldn't affect your PR in any way. If will help the site you link to however.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

So, is it useful for everyone to try and build My eBay pages and Squidoo pages and Myspace pages and Lord knows what else? Do having those things pointing to your site help increase pagerank?

The rest of it just sounds like...hope and pray someone who doesn't know any better puts a link to your site on theirs. LOL.

The one-way links have to make sense. If you just place a bunch of links on a MySpace page, it probably won't count for much. Many people use blogs to try to accomplish this but that only works if the blog is kept updated. It doesn't matter what other sites do. I could create a site of some illegal content and put a link to your site on it and it wouldn't affect you negatively unless you linked back. But I think you are overthinking PR. It is a small part of SEO and doesn't count for much be itself. If you build link exchanges as you are able, your PR will eventually increase. If you want to jump ahead, then you can pay sites that will link to you in order to increase your PR but that would be, in my opinion, a waste of money.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

All you can do is get more links to your site. You can do that with link exchnages, one-way links (usually from directories) or by purchasing them. If you add too many at once, it will probably hurt you so they should be added gradually over time. There is no telling when google will do a PR update though so it may be next spring before you see a difference (give or take three or four months).

He is banned now, with the bogus answers and the spam in his signature. So getting his links through the osC forums met a dead end :)

I don't have any interest (or the money) in paying for links.

I've always been under the impression that it's all about content.

It's painful to look around other websites that may share the same keywords as I do and discover that the page hasn't been updated since 1998 or something. But, then I think...well, that's good! Their website has been around longer than mine! Apparently, longevity on the Internet counts for something, too.

I dunno. I add new items to my site almost daily...I have Header Tags Controller and SEO-G installed...I recently installed the Articles Manager contrib and have put 4 new articles on the site in the last 10 days, thinking....CONTENT.

I was sending product feeds on a regular basis to Google Base but discovered the other night that it no longer works....because I installed SEO-G. I have to fix that or figure out some other way to upload feeds. Yikes.

I installed the Links Manager contrib purely for SEO reasons and I guess I was wrong about how that really works.

At the end of the day, I just feel like all I can do is keep updating the content on the homepage....keep adding new items, new articles, whatever....and hope for the best. :)

Archived