• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

New store (live)

Arcadiauk

Haven't posted before but these forums are a great source of information when you get stuck.

Please could you give me some contructive critisism (If any) regarding my store, it is fully operational and is already bringing sales in. Please do not create orders.

Black-Dragon and click eShop

Thanks in advance :)

Derek

You've kept a lot of the stock elements of OSC which works in some places, but not everywhere. The 3 column layout works fine because you are able to take advantage of many of the infoboxes. I would however replace all of the OSC stock icons - look in the contributions for some replacement graphics that would work better with the theme of the store.

The scrolling best sellers and the Who's Online mods work nicely and your product pictures look great.

The color scheme used is not bad, but if your business starts to take off you might consider hiring a web designer to tweak your CSS stylesheet. A really creative designer could do a lot to help build your Black Dragon brand.

Good luck on your new endeavor!

Like the layout, though the colors don't bring bring visualization to your 'Black Dragon' name. One comment: because of the scrolling message in the status bar, when you highlight a category, you can't tell what it is, and I'm not sure that I think the pictures clearly depict each category. ( Personally, I really dislike messages in the scrollbar -- I refer to the info there often. )

Anyway, good luck with your store!

Terry

Terry Kluytmans

Contribs Installed: Purchase Without Account (PWA); Big Images, Product Availability, Description in Product Listing, Graphical Infobox, Header Tags Controller, Login Box, Option Type Feature, plus many layout changes & other mods of my own, like:

Add order total to checkout_shipment

Add order total to checkout_payment

Add radio buttons at checkout_shipping (for backorder options, etc.)

Duplicate Table Rate Shipping Module

Better Product Review Flow

* If at first you don't succeed, find out if there's a prize for the loser. *

Hi

Thankyou for your input, I have gone through a few of your comments and amended accordingly. I didn't mean to make it look as if i'm claiming copyright to the OSC program, the link next to the Black Dragon copyright went to black dragon's terms & conditions, but the OSC copyright link direct to OSC. I have removed it now anyway. :)

I realise the store is basically stock but I was asked by my wife if there was anyway of putting a shop together quite quickly and OSC seem the right choice.

Thankyou for your input, it is very much appreciated, because when you work with a site for so long you become very blinkered and I agree, what looks nice to one person can look very boring to someone else.

Thanks again :)

Derek

• 3 weeks later...

To arcadiaUK - I've been looking to how will I modify the width of my os commmerce so it goes with my main page. Where did you change the width under? Can you pls. Let me know?

To arcadiaUK - I've been looking to how will I modify the width of my os commmerce so it goes with my main page. Where did you change the width under? Can you pls. Let me know?

http://pinoy-radio.com/

click on my CD's on top to get in to os commerce......

Hi

Check your email, I think i've covered all the things you need to do, it was something I found in the oscommerce forums. I'm sure it was a contribution.

You need to edit the header.php file. But please back it up first.

Here is my setup and it goes right at the top......

<?php

/*

$Id: header.php,v 1.42 2003/06/10 18:20:38 hpdl Exp $

osCommerce, Open Source E-Commerce Solutions

http://www.oscommerce.com

Copyright © 2003 osCommerce

Released under the GNU General Public License

*/

//begin dead easy outer table

print ('<table width="960" border="0" align="center" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="2" bgcolor="#EADBF0">

<tr>

<td bgcolor="#FFFFFF">');

//end dead easy outer table

Just alter the colours and the table width from 960 to what ever you need it to be.

Good luck

Derek

Also with best sellers.. How many do you have to sell before it comes out? I sold about 4 items so far since I started this site....

With the best sellers I changed the best sellers maximum qty to 30 in admin and whenever we sell something and it goes out of stock, we always change the status of the item back to instock even with a zero qty. That way the best sellers will always show up in the listing, if that is what you wanted to do.

I used a nice contribution too for a 3 column list when showing the products, instead of a long list of items, people viewing now don't have to scroll too far to view everything. Unfortunately that lost me the Stock Level qty contribution that i'd installed so I tweaked it slightly to show this now. I think it works well.

Good luck with your site

Derek

• 1 month later...

Derek,

Your site looking really good. How did you do the scrolling best sellers? The only thing that I'm not feeling was the color scheme because it doesn't go with the name black dragon. but all in all it was all good..

Bobby

Bobby

For the scrolling best sellers box i used this contribution

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,1073

Glad you liked the website, I have changed the home page today, it has given a less cluttered look, i think.

I understand where you are coming from regarding the colour scheme. We wanted to have a bright colourful website that was welcoming to all visitors.

I'm sure perhaps within the coming weeks I may be inspired to link the Black-Dragon logo and name into the colour scheme though.

Derek

• 1 month later...

Archived