• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Simple SEO

sosidge

Hi,

Obviously, I want to make the site as search engine friendly as poss.

But I don't want to over-egg the pudding, and use spammy tricks that the search engines may decide to penalise me for.

Plus I don't want to go too far with adding code, and end up in a php mess.

So far, I've installed a couple of contributions - "Really Easy HTML Title" (to get a more descriptive <title>) & "All Products Page" (to create a bot-friendly site map, which I've chosen not to hide - it's publicly accessible in the information box).

I've tried to write full descriptions as well, with decent search terms.

One disadvantage I can see is that my homepage does not go straight to the catalogue - but I want to leave things that way.

Any other tips I should consider? A robots.txt? More "obvious" links from the homepage?

Currently the site ranks poorly in Google for searches like "rc direct" and "Eagle Tree Systems", even for "rc-direct", but it has only been up for a month, and I have made a few changes to the directory structure in that time (but won't do again).

Thanks.

- osCommerce is fun! -

A few thoughts:

The best thing you can do to improve your rank on Google (& most other engines) is to get more incoming links.

Getting your site completely spidered & indexed can take months.

The robots.txt file (in your root directory) only _excludes_ robots, don't mess with it lightly.

It looks like you only have a dozen products, you could link directly to each product from your home page which would help.

I hope this helps,

Bob

Just to say, I think the "Really Easy HTML Title" has already worked - I'm listed much higher in the search engines for the individual products I'm selling.

Sadly, the bots don't appear to have looked at my "All Products" page yet, hopefully when they do it will be a useful guide for them. I may hide it towards the top of the page if they don't find it in the future.

- osCommerce is fun! -

FYI, I think hyperlinks to your site in your signature is a no-no...

It has taken google a while to get everything going, but I noticed they are visiting quite often and I have more and more pages listed in google everyday.

9 times out of 10 its a PEBCAK Error (Problem exists between chair and keyboard)

Replace that and you're fine...

Read the Fourm rules, there is a www button provided for your link

No longer giving free advice. Please place deposit in meter slot provided.  Individual: [=] SME: [==] Corporation: [===]
If deposit does not fit one of the slots provided then you are asking too much! :P

Is your Osc dated try Phoenix  raising oscommerce from the ashes.

Archived