• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Distribution Clarity

frangers83

Just confirming my understanding. of the GPL with regards to distribution. If I do some work for a client creating a customised osCommerce solution (derived work) to meet their business needs, and I give them all the source code as per section 3A of the GPL as well as a copy of the GPL itself; are they under any obligation to give out source code to anyone who requests it?

My understanding is that they have no obligation to do this, as by viewing a site, the whole site is being "distributed" to you.

Obviously they would have the ability to distribute the source for the customisations if they chose to do so, but I just want to confirm my understanding with regards to obligation.

They are not under any obligation to provide the source code.. Unless they distribute it themselves then the source code must be provided.

Mark Evans

osCommerce Monkey & Lead Guitarist for "Sparky + the Monkeys" (Album on sale in all good record shops)

---------------------------------------

Software is like sex: It's better when it's free. (Linus Torvalds)

Thanks, just as Id thought!

I think I've learnt a number of really neat tricks that could assist some osCommerce users; I'd much prefer to share some of these code samples, rather than the whole code.

This is ok isn't it? Or does this become classed as distribution, and hence I would need to distribute the whole code?

All you need to do is ensure that any tricks you do wish to distribute come with the source code... if there are features you dont want to distrubute then you dont need to :)

Mark Evans

osCommerce Monkey & Lead Guitarist for "Sparky + the Monkeys" (Album on sale in all good record shops)

---------------------------------------

Software is like sex: It's better when it's free. (Linus Torvalds)

Archived