• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

HELP

sbusch

I am new and have never used a shopping cart before. I am finding it very difficult to install. None of the directions I have makes it simple. Is there not a step by step guide to this program. I have seen the link to install directions but they make no sense. Why doesn't OsCommerce have an idiot guide if they want people to use their product? Please help me get this install with directions for someone that has no computer knowledge. I know someone out there was in my shoes before, HELP.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

By the way, I am trying to install this on Ipowerweb. I can't even figure out how to upload it. I am not interested in using thier old OsCommerece on Ipowerwebs site.

HELP

I wouldn't say osCommerce is for people with no computer knowledge.. but maybe more for people with a strong web/html/php background. What troubles are you having installing? Might be worth paying someone to set it up for you if its for your business.

gp

First off, you need to be able to FTP it to your server. So you need an FTP program such as Cute FTP or something similar. Then you need to be able to connect that program to your server, that information should be available from IPowerWeb's emails that you got when you signed up with them.

Then unzip the osC program and FTP all the directories to your server to the public/html or www directory.

Then create a DB on your server and get the sql file for osC and execute the file into your servers DB. You will need another program to do this (such as Navicat).

What stage of that are you having problems with? The more specific you are the better the response people can give.

Peter

Ok, I am having trouble with uploading the Catalog file. But I have received some advice. I am going to get a FTP program and try upload these files. Are there any free FTP programs that anyone is aware of? I'll let you know how that goes because I am sure I will have another question after I finally get this uploaded.

2nd, Question- Do you think there is anything wrong with using the older version that Ipowerweb has on their website? Would it be better for a newbe to use that until I get some experience? Or do you think it would be better to take the time to install the newer version?

I am now searching for my Database server information for Ipowerweb.com to enter it on the page that I am currently looking at. Let me know if anyone has this IP address.

I am happy to report that I am now up to this page within the first couple of install pages:

"New Installation

Database Import

Please enter the database server information:

Database Server:

Hostame or IP-address of the database server

The database server can be in the form of a hostname, such as db1.myserver.com, or as an IP-address, such as 192.168.0.1

Username:

Database username

The username used to connect to the database server. An example username is 'mysql_10'.

Note: Create and Drop permissions are required at this point of the installation procedure.

Password:

Database password

The password is used together with the username, which forms the database user account.

Database Name:

Database Name

The database used to hold the data. An example database name is 'osCommerce'.

Persistent Connections:

Enable persistent database connections.

Note: Persistent connections should be disabled for shared servers.

Session Storage: Files Database

Store user session data as files on the server, or in the database.

Note: Due to security related issues, database session storage is recommended for shared servers. "

As for #2, only you can answer that question.. Grab the tar.gz, open with WinZip, and read the Changes file. If there's new features you want/need/are interested in, grab the latest copy.

In general with open source, you'll find that you'll get a better chance of support if your using a recent version, as they hate bug-reports for problems already fixed. :P

Cheers,

Crobusa

PS. Sorry this is 2 posts, but it seems msg editing is disabled.

This is my latest error message. Any suggestions?

New Installation

osCommerce Configuration

The following error has occurred:

The configuration files do not exist, or permission levels are not set.

Please perform the following actions:

cd /home/iwantlin/public_html/catalog/includes/

touch configure.php

chmod 706 configure.php

cd /home/iwantlin/public_html/catalog/admin/includes/

touch configure.php

chmod 706 configure.php

If chmod 706 does not work, please try chmod 777.

If you are running this installation procedure under a Microsoft Windows environment, try renaming the existing configuration file so a new file can be created.

Archived