• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Ocommerce is Free but......?

Hambowned

But do you get what you pay for? I am getting ready to get a client, perhaps a small business client to want to sell items online via a shopping cart interface.

I have OCommerce in mind, but would it behoove me to do this.

Recently, I've come across "Hosting services" that use MIVA, a top of the line online shopping merhant/cart. I checked on the pricing on the Shopping Cart itself,and WOAH man, its pricey, I imagine hosting providers can only afford this.

Would I be taking a considerable risk using a Free interface such as this one?

Or to use something like "MIVA" which comes with alot of "Web Hosting" Plans/packages?

But do you get what you pay for?

You get a full e-commerce package and dont pay anything... hmm I guess that answers the question :)

Would I be taking a considerable risk using a Free interface such as this one?

I cant see any risk.... if you dont like it try miva.. if its broke.. you have the source code.. you can fix it :)

The only downside being if you dont know much about PHP/MySQL and want to make changes you might need to pay for some mods to be done.

Mark Evans

osCommerce Monkey & Lead Guitarist for "Sparky + the Monkeys" (Album on sale in all good record shops)

---------------------------------------

Software is like sex: It's better when it's free. (Linus Torvalds)

Are you saying OSCommerce is just about as good as MIVA? Seems like big hosting providers such as Earthlink and Atlantic Net are using it with their hostingplans.

And I would imagine they offer phone support for MIVA?

I know someone that's using MIVA, they'll settle for nothing less, of course she's leasing an entire server for her business.

Would you say the chances of MIVA getting "Broke" are slim to none though?

I have looked around for free/cheap packages that I can offer to clients and implement on their behalf. This is by far the best sourced, best supported, and most advanced & feature-rich system I found (in over 3 months of searching).

It is as good as the people using and contributing to it ... and it's bloody brilliant.

if you want to save money, and know some about mysql and php, then us osCommerce. Great program I must say

But if you dont know much of php or mysql and dont have time to learn, get miva.....

I got miva free with my previous web hosting. The problems was that if I switch web hosting, I lose the shopping cart.

I imagine it would...it would cost a pretty penny if you wanted to take "MIVA" with you. ;-)

I'm not "Totally" an expert at PHP, but I am pretty good at learning, so far I had at least got it "Up" and "Functional" due to the help I had recieved on here...I have had some coding experiences in college courses, so I have a general idea.

But if I want speed and efficiency, I want to make the client happy. :-)

well i am no php expert but i have managed to learn quit a bit.

oscommerce is the best package i have found probably better than most paid for aps.

I also run my oun server so i dont have a lot of problems that some people run in to with hosting companies.

speed with osc is as good as any of the other big money sites i have been to.

It takes some time to get it set up the way you desire because we all have different needs.

but over all this is one great application.

i have no complaints only good things to say!

thank you to every who is involved with osc

It really depends on how much effort and time you are willing to spend in this endeavor. I'm sure MIVA is much simpler to modify and customize. OSC takes some time to customize because you're dealing directly with code. You can do anything with OSC provided you have the skills.

• 1 month later...

Miva is the devil herself.

It is useful only for shops with very few products and no exceptional circumstances. If you want to customize ANYTHING you have to buy module after module after module.

I'm just now convincing my employers to rid themselves of the cancer that is Miva. I've never used osCommerce before, but unless it pokes me with a sharp stick every second of the day it MUST be a better option than Miva.

Good is the enemy to great.

While being free I have to say OSC is very impressive. Even more impressive is the support community, some of which I now correspnd with on a regular basis on things not even dealing with OSC.

But the comments about knowing a little about php & MySQL is true as configuration, addons and layout means you will be dealing directly with the files. If your not worried about that then the sky is the limit.

I'm sure MIVA is much simpler to modify and customize.
I don't believe that, you're probably not even allowed to modify and costumize it (only to change some settings to on or off).

You will have to hire a MIVA employee to costomize it for you I think.

But then I suppose you better get osC and, if you can't or don't want to do it yourself, hire someone to costumize it (and pay him/her with the money you save because you don't use MIVA).

Archived