• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Problems with AOL browser

hrose369

We have been up and running for 4 months now and everything is going well except for users using AOL's browser. We have several emails from potential customers that state that they can not use our shopping cart. Every time they try to add to the shopping cart, they are sent back to the log in screen. The only consistence we have found is that they all appear to be using AOL's browser. :huh:

Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone have a solution?

I had a severe problem with AOL. Turned out to be in my config.php file and the way I referenced paths. Give us some info on who you are hosting with, do you have your own SSL certificate or using a shared cert. that puts you on a separate server?

GEOTEX from Houston, TX

(George)

AOL. The worst virus I ever had.

Bumper stickers available for $5.00 each.

But seriously. Ihave had some folks tell me this too. Many of the AOL users on my site have no problems however. Who knows. I just wish AOL would just go under. that would make internet business much easier to conduct.

I have 5 osCommerce carts up using shared ssl. Had problems with all of the and AOL. I only solved the problem after signing up with aol to see exactly what errors their browser caused, then was able to work out the problems in my catalog/includes/configure.php file. Cancelled the service before the free trial ran out, and told them our SBC/Yahoo account had a lot more to offer, and no pop-ups insisting I buy their stuff. :-)

GEOTEX from Houston, TX

(George)

The problem might be in your Sessions config. I've had this problem before. Evidently, AOL doesn't allow most of the checks that are set by default to "True." Do a search for this in the forum and maybe that will help.

The only trouble is, when I went to change most of my Sessions to false, something happened to the database and all my orders got jumbled together. To this day it's still crippled on that server.

Backup backup backup.

I'm glad you mentioned the sessions directory. When I first set up the carts, I set a directory under the catalog path. Ended up having everything set to false. Just not sure if I did that as part of the routines to get the cart to work with AOL ver 9, as I recall having some other problems with our hosting company shared SSL directories that required some false settings, and also set force cookie usage to false, and track sessions with mySQL to accomodate customers that block cookies or block header information.

GEOTEX from Houston, TX

(George)

When I first set up the carts, I set a directory under the catalog path. Ended up having everything set to false. Just not sure if I did that as part of the routines to get the cart to work with AOL ver 9, as I recall having some other problems with our hosting company shared SSL directories that required some false settings, and also set force cookie usage to false, and track sessions with mySQL to accomodate customers that block cookies or block header information.

I have discovered that my issue revolved around the fact that two customers shared a session ID. I may or may not have hard-linked a URL with a session ID (oops).

The default install comes with all of the Session settings as 'false' because they pose issues with users working with Shared SSL (see http://wiki.oscommerce.com/proposalSecurityAndPrivacy) . Fortunately, my host has provided enough space with my shared ssl directory to host and run the entire cart, so I theoretically should be able to set some of these things to 'true.' All that is stored on my actual leased space is the database.

Of course, if I want AOL users to be able to use the cart, I believe that the only things I CAN set to true are Check SSL Session ID and Prevent Spider Sessions. Could someone confirm this? What about the latest AOL 'upgrades?'

I loathe the idea of crippling security just to appease the sloppily-written AOL web browser. There must be another way, aside from cutting them off entirely. I wonder if AOL users can use IE and get through, or could it be a closed port issue or some kind of server block?

One problem with sessions is the check ip address... make sure that is set to false as the aol users ip address can change mid session.

Mark Evans

osCommerce Monkey & Lead Guitarist for "Sparky + the Monkeys" (Album on sale in all good record shops)

---------------------------------------

Software is like sex: It's better when it's free. (Linus Torvalds)

Archived