• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Google friendly way to redirect to Subdomain?

tammy507

I have a question, I hope someone here can help me with.

I have my "store" in my root directory.

I have a subdomain for a message board forum.

I need to know the best way to link the forum from my Info box.

Currently, I created a php page and am using a redirect on that page. However, from everything Ive read redirects are a no-no with Google.

So, this is what I need to know: How can I add "Forum" to my Info box and have it go to the forum on my subdomain?

Thanks

Tammy

Google doesn't mind redirects, if they're done right, A PHP redirect will result in a 302 (temporary redirect) and Google will follow that.

Is there a reason you don't just link to the subdomain directly?

I wanted to put a direct link in the Information box where it says:

$info_box_contents = array();

$info_box_contents[] = array('text' => '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_ARTICLES) . '">' . BOX_HEADING_ARTICLES . '</a><br>' .

'<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_CELEBRITY_FORUM) . '">' . BOX_INFORMATION_CELEBRITY_FORUM . '</a><br>' .

'<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_LINKS) . '">' . BOX_INFORMATION_LINKS . '</a><br>' .

'<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_CONTACT_US) . '">' . BOX_INFORMATION_CONTACT . '</a><br>' .

'<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_CONTEST_FORUM) . '">' . BOX_INFORMATION_CONTEST_FORUM . '</a><br>' .

'<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRIVACY) . '">' . BOX_INFORMATION_PRIVACY . '</a><br>' .

'<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_ALL_PRODUCTS) . '">' . ALL_PRODUCTS_LINK . '</a><br>' .

'<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_SHIPPING) . '">' . BOX_INFORMATION_SHIPPING . '</a><br>' .

'<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_CONDITIONS) . '">' . BOX_INFORMATION_CONDITIONS . '</a>');

But I couldnt figure out how to. I tried full urls after the <a href but the received errors.

So I duplicated one of the pages that was already in the information box to create a page called "celebrity_forum.php" , then I put this in the file:

Im trying to find the best way to (google friendly) to link to my forum. Is the above the correct way of doing the redirect? Or can you explain to me how to just link to it directly from the Info box?

Thanks

Tammy

It's not rocket science...merely HTML. ;)

Use this line as an example:

'<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_LINKS) . '">' . BOX_INFORMATION_LINKS . '</a><br>' .

Just change it to:

'<a href="http://linktoyourforum.com">My Forum</a><br>' .

and put it wherever you want it in the info box.

All you're doing here is substituting hard-coded HTML for the variables.

Archived