• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Adding another Flat-Rate post option?

sosidge

Hi,

I want to add another flat-rate shipping option.

Basically, postage on my site is ?1.50 flat rate - this is fine as far as weight and packaging goes for most orders - but I want to offer Royal Mail "Special Delivery" as another flat-rate option, for customers to buy insurance on high value orders.

How can I install another flat-rate option? Customise one of the more complex options to get rid of the variables? Create a new shipping module with the same settings as the current Flat Rate module?

Any guidance much appreciated.

- osCommerce is fun! -

Probably the simplest thing would be to simply copy the two files used for the flat rate, rename them to flat2 or insured or whatever you want and alter the parameters in admin to whatever.

You would also need to alter some text in the language file.

You will probably find them in these directories:

catalog/includes/modules/shipping

and

catalog/includes/languages/modules/shipping

Or something like that. I did that off memory so I might have got it a bit wrong. If you can't find them, get back to me and I will have a proper look.

I've found the contribution I need (thanks to Nimmit for directing me to the right area - although I haven't used his suggestion).

For anyone else wanting to do the same, this contribution - Priority and Next Day Shipping - has done the job.

Basically it includes two copies of the flat rate module, that have been renamed in the right places - doing all the hard work for me! (I've only used one of the two as well).

- osCommerce is fun! -

Archived