• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Zones - state and tax

LostInPHP

I went live last week and had a problem with my taxes. I was charging my NY sales tax on all orders from all States. I searched the forums and found a thread (do you think I can find it this morning though? lol) it said to remove all by my state from the zones and that will make it so the store only charges for my state. Well guess what? I didn't know it would remove all but my state from the customer sign up for their state. In other words when a customer signs up they can only pick NY as a state! UGH!

I'm at Thistle Meadow Soaps

I know I know... it's a basic store without too many changes, but the look of this is the look of my site prior to hooking up with OsCommece.. I like it this way. Creative no, but it stays with the crisp clean look that I've always had, which fits my product line.

Help me I'm lost in PHP and I don't have a map!

You have removed the zones in the wrong place! And I don't think that you have to remove anything at all.

You need to define 2 Tax Zones in Locations/Taxes - Tax Zones. One for New York and one for the rest of the States. Then go to Tax Rates to define individual rates for the 2 zones.

I hope I understood your point correctly

Nick

Wrong you don't have to have two zones.

The Tax Zone you have set for New York State, go to the far left edge of this Tax Zone and click to open the little folder icon. Once inside, it is most probably empty, click insert, complete the info, click insert, click back. You should be at your New York Tax Zone. Important make sure you are using the full spelling. Make sure your Tax Rate info matches this. Thats all only New York customers will be charged tax.

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back in here.. I've been down with a flu like bug. Anyway... which of these fixes is right? How do I restore the States for the customers to choose from?

Terri

:blink:

Help me I'm lost in PHP and I don't have a map!

I'm having a similar problem - it makes sense that there would be three tax zones 1) NY State 2) NY City and Westchester County and 3) eveywhere else, because the precentage of tax is different for each.

Why would you insert select places within a zone folder, when it's the zone folder that feeds the tax rate table?

When I test the cart, sending stuff to myself in CT, I still get charged tax. Not only that, but the tax is compunded.

Please explain the "tax priority." Shoudln't it be an either/or question not an "and this and this and this?"

Please help.

Archived