• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

PayPal - Account Optional

fmerrill

Has this been posted already somewhere and I missed it?

It appears as if PayPal has now made it optional to have an account when paying merchants. You can now pay, then after payment they offer the option of creating an account.

Minor details about it can be seen by logging into your account and looking at your Profile: Website Payments Preferences. Look at the bottom of that screen.

Per the website:

"This feature is available for Buy Now, Donations, and Shopping Cart buttons, but not for Subscription buttons."

I haven't tested this at all yet, but if it has been tested, how does this interface (if at all) with current PayPal payment methods and osC?

If this has been mentioned, please disregard.

Wow! That's pretty cool. Apparently it's turned on by default - I don't remember seeing it before, and it's already enabled on my account. I will be testing this out this afternoon!

Chris Dunning

osCommerce, Contributions Moderator Team

Please do not send me PM! I do not read or answer these often. Use the email button instead!

I do NOT support contributions other than my own. Emails asking for support on other people's contributions will be ignored. Ask in the forum or contact the contribution author directly.

I took a look at this today. Apparently, no account is required - but there are still several pages involved. There isn't much difference between the old method of creating an account and the new method. Most of the information was already populated for me - that's a good sign! PayPal already knew the shipping and billing addresses and put that information into the proper places 99% of the time. I don't think it's cookie based - PayPal knows me when I go into their site and automatically inputs my PayPal email address into the payment screen. However, when I tried the "I've never used PayPal before" link, it used the address information from my test account in my store. I'm impressed at their new development, but I'm not closing my merchant account just yet.

Chris Dunning

osCommerce, Contributions Moderator Team

Please do not send me PM! I do not read or answer these often. Use the email button instead!

I do NOT support contributions other than my own. Emails asking for support on other people's contributions will be ignored. Ask in the forum or contact the contribution author directly.

That's correct: buyers no longer need to set up an account when paying through PayPal. This currently works for Buy Now (which OSCommerce and all of the contributions use) and Shopping Cart, but not Subscriptions. Unfortunately, our International team was busy with PayPal Germany and ELMI and so the feature does not yet work for non-US buyers. This is a topp priority, however.

This modification applies primarily to buyers who have not used PayPal previously. The 40+ million existing PayPal users will not see much of a difference since they already have accounts.

We also rolled out some other features that merchants and developers have been requesting. Most notably, more ability to customize payment pages with color and graphics.

See http://paypal.typepad.com for more information.

Patrick Breitenbach

• 10 months later...
Is there anyway to edit this so that it says "Credit Card - Via PayPal" instead of "PayPal" on checkout_payment.php?

Backup and edit /catalog/includes/languages/english/modules/payment/paypal.php

That should do it.

Bob G.

Installed Contributions: CCGV, Close Popup, Dynamic Meta Tags, Easy Populate, Froogle Data Feeder, Google Position, Infobox Header Entire Row, Live Support for OSC, PayPal Seal with CC images, Report_m Sales, Shop by Price Revised, SQL Updater, Who's Online Enhancement, Footer, GNA EP Assistant and still going.

Can someone help me with installing this, its my first module that I'm adding. I ahve added it to

includes/languages/english/modules/payment/

and

/includes/modules/payment/

But it gives me errors on line 162

Ian MacMillan

Rockingham Junction Models

Epping, New Hampshire

Ok, got it installed, but here is what it is outputing when you go to check out and hit pay via PayPal IPN

Warning: fopen(/tem/292247-2-data.txt): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /homepages/35/d90652178/htdocs/includes/modules/payment/paypal_ipn.php on line 349

Warning: fwrite(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /homepages/35/d90652178/htdocs/includes/modules/payment/paypal_ipn.php on line 350

Warning: fclose(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /homepages/35/d90652178/htdocs/includes/modules/payment/paypal_ipn.php on line 351

Warning: unlink(/tem/292247-2-data.txt): No such file or directory in /homepages/35/d90652178/htdocs/includes/modules/payment/paypal_ipn.php on line 356

Warning: unlink(/tem/292247-2-signed.txt): No such file or directory in /homepages/35/d90652178/htdocs/includes/modules/payment/paypal_ipn.php on line 359

Warning: fopen(/tem/292247-2-encrypted.txt): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /homepages/35/d90652178/htdocs/includes/modules/payment/paypal_ipn.php on line 361

Warning: filesize(): Stat failed for /tem/292247-2-encrypted.txt (errno=2 - No such file or directory) in /homepages/35/d90652178/htdocs/includes/modules/payment/paypal_ipn.php on line 362

Warning: fread(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /homepages/35/d90652178/htdocs/includes/modules/payment/paypal_ipn.php on line 362

Warning: fclose(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /homepages/35/d90652178/htdocs/includes/modules/payment/paypal_ipn.php on line 363

Warning: unlink(/tem/292247-2-encrypted.txt): No such file or directory in /homepages/35/d90652178/htdocs/includes/modules/payment/paypal_ipn.php on line 365

Ian MacMillan

Rockingham Junction Models

Epping, New Hampshire

I've used paypal's new system and it seems to work great.

I'm now implementing it into my oscommerce store, and I was wondering, can you use it for digital downloads?

• 5 weeks later...
I've used paypal's new system and it seems to work great.

I'm now implementing it into my oscommerce store, and I was wondering, can you use it for digital downloads?

hi jerry, can i ask on how did u used this paypal account optional in osc? what are the codes to be added or removed?

thanks

Birds with same feathers, are same birds.

• 2 years later...

This all seems fantastic, but it just doesn't work with mine. When I started the paypal account, it was defaulted to allow a user to not have to sign up, but when I test it live, it's giving the option of either signing in or signing up.

Am I missing something? :blush:

This all seems fantastic, but it just doesn't work with mine. When I started the paypal account, it was defaulted to allow a user to not have to sign up, but when I test it live, it's giving the option of either signing in or signing up.

Am I missing something? :blush:

Did you check your account settings at paypal?

Did you check your account settings at paypal?

I followed the Paypal document, and found that my settings seemed to be correct by default - I have Auto-Return on, and I have Account Optional on. Is there any other setting I'm missing? I've scoured the Profile pages for more settings that might work, to no avail!

Janna

• 2 weeks later...

nobody noticed that if the customer is registered with paypal the autoreturn to the shop works but if a customer not registered with paypal pays with the credit card they MUST click return to merchant button otherwise the seller receives the payment with no order is in the database? someone has a solution for this? thanks!!!