• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

?UPS Shipping calculations come out too low - why?

mimages

I added the UPS shipping module, and it automatically calculates a shipping charge at checkout that's too low. For example, it comes up with $22.84, and the ups.com calculator (which allows for more accurate charges based on dimmensions an shipping location) comes out to about 57.47.Anyone have any ideas what to do?

Thanks.

Ah, the oversize packages problem. UPS has a table of the estimated size of a package with X weight. If your package weighs 2 lbs but is bigger than what UPS expects, they charge you a "dimensional weight." One solution I've seen is to go to ups.com and figure up the dimensional weight for each product, then change the weight in your catalog to that dimensional weight. This will work find if you don't offer US Postal Service - changing the weights will make their rates higher than what should be. You could just print your labels from UPS based on the weights and not even count the dimensions...they only check 1 in 100 or so packages. I have yet to see a contribution that calculates based on the dimensions...I'm not sure the UPS system is set up to handle that. It would get very complicated with multiple products...now you're not just adding weight x and weight y to get total weight z, but you have to figure out how each product fits in the box...pretty complicated. Good luck with this!

Well, your suggestion sounds good. I could say my product wieghs 150 pounds instead of 65, and would then get an accurate weight count--or would I? How do I determine the exact weight to put in so that osCommerce makes an appropriate adjustment? Is there a formula for this? This could put me out of business just due to the worry of having to pay out half my profits in shipping cost errors.

Thanks in advance.

After doing a bit more research, this isn't quite that simple. However, to answer your first question:

If you go to www.ups.com and "estimate charges," you can find the dimensional weight. Here's a theoretical package going from Ohio to Texas that measures 14x14x14 but only weighs 1 lb - link. If you scroll to the bottom is says this:

Package Information

Package 1

Weight: 1 lbs.

Dimensions: 14x14x14 in.

Insured Value: USD 0

**Dimensional Weight applies

(Billable Weight: 15.0 LBS)

That "dimensional weight" is the weight that UPS is actually charging for. A package of this size weighing 15 pounds would cost the same to ship as this package that only weighs 1.

However, I just did a more thorough reading of the UPS site, and for ground shipments (probably what you're concerned with) you have to use a different set of calculations. Here's a link for more information:

Dimensional Weight

Well, daw-gonnit (sp?)! This doesn't encourage me. I was hoping to provide accurate shipping prices, but I don't know how now without coding a bunch of calculations per product. Oh well, I'll have to guestimate, and hope that my results are sufficient to cover the actual shipping expenses. It's just not providing the level of accuracy I was hoping for.

Thanks for the assist.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello

This is a problem that I'm having also. I have had the latest version of UPS Choice installed for some time now and have never been satisfied with the UPS calculations.

It's not a major problem since I ship mostly small packages ( < 2 lbs) by USPS. But still I would like more accurate calculations for comparsion since I also use SHIP IN CART contrib. If I select Customer Counter in admin as an options the cost are lower for Ground Shipping than if I go to UPS site to get an estimate.

I have done some searching here but have found nothing. Anyone have any suggestions or fixes.

Doug

The only solution I've from within these forums and contributions is the UPSXML module with dimensional support enabled. I am successfully using it and ShipInCart with a Dec 2002 version of osC... I imagine that it could be fairly easily amended to work with newer versions (if it isn't already compatible).

Now, it would be really terrific if someone could amend the USPS Methods contribution to also use the same dimensional information to return accurate oversize quotes for USPS. ;)

... if you want to REALLY see something that doesn't set up right out of the box without some tweaking,

try being a Foster Parent!

I can get OSC calculations to agree with UPS Web Site calculations if I do the following (and it has nothing to do with dimensions).

In OSC admin select customer counter (CC) and Your Packaging.

At the UPS Web Site select "DROP OFF" and Your Packaging.

They both agree for a 1 pound package.

Doug

UPS rates for "drop off" and "customer counter" should be the same. "Drop off" means you'll pay online and then take it to UPS or hand it to a driver or something like that. "Customer counter" means the service counter at an actual UPS site (NOT The UPS Store). The rates go up if you take them to a retail location to have them processed (such as PostNet, Mailboxes ETC, The UPS Store) because those places charge extra for your convenience. A one-time pickup at your house/office adds about $4, if you have a daily pickup the price is less (but you have to pay for the daily pickup).

At least, that's the way it was when I worked for UPS...

I don't know if this helps solve your problem, but it's good knowledge anyway.

I can get OSC calculations to agree with UPS Web Site calculations if I do the following (and it has nothing to do with dimensions).

I should have specified for oversize conditions. For oversized packages, the UPSXML with dimensional support is the only thing I have found that will give accurate rates from within osC

... if you want to REALLY see something that doesn't set up right out of the box without some tweaking,

try being a Foster Parent!

Archived