• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Automatically send data feed to Froogle

gottaloveit

I added the newly required attributes courtesy of the latest update to Googlefeeder 1.03 but I have one problem.

It's creating the file just fine, but still not connecting to Google because one of my attributes is blank.

Manufacturer.

I sell back issues of magazines, so, I don't apply manufacturers names to any of my products.

When I look at the .txt file that was generated, the manufacturers field is what is blank, so, my question is:

Is there any way to set up a default manufacturer for all my products in that googlefeeder file or am I going to have to create a manufacturer name in Admin and manually edit all 1700 items in my website to include that manufacturer? I know how to do that; I just don't WANT to have to do that.

I see there are defaults set up for a lot of things in the feeder file (payment accepted, condition, etc.) but not for manufacturers. Any way to get around that?

You can set up a default manufacturer, but it isn't necessary. I don't use the field and the feed works fine. Since these new attributes are required by Google and you have modified the file according to the contribution, you must enable the Advance Optional Values by setting $optional_sec equal to 1.

Then, set the things you want to feed equal to 1.

Specifically, set $manufacturer equal to 0 (approx. line 47). Hope this helps.

Thank You, Dennis.

You're right. If anything, I spoke too soon. It turns out that the problem was not manufacturers (which I learned is NOT a required attribute). It was Google. If you read their help forums within Googlebase, you'll see tons of messages about their store connectors and FTP software being unavailable on and off for the last several weeks.

I redid my file and set manufacturers at 0 as you suggested, and I uploaded just fine a few minutes ago. Apparently, Google is experiencing some ongoing problem with FTP uploads and that's why I kept getting the errors.

Out of curiousity, regarding two of the attributes in the the Googlefeeder file:

Is there a certain format that needs to be used for the shipping price? I see the default is NL:overnight:6.00 so I turned mine into US:firstclass:2.50...I wonder if that will be okay?

I also wonder what people are doing about the 'brand' attribute...particularly those who sell handmade or homemade items. I sell back issues of soap opera magazines. Different titles, different publishers, I mean....what brand? Should I have put the name of my website in there?

I had no idea what to do there so I just plugged in the word 'soaps'. Maybe I'll get picked up in search by people looking for soap. :)

You're absolutely right, Andrea.

I had a smilar quandry regarding brand, but I just gave it my wife's name since my website incorporates her first name. I used Siti for the brandname. But soaps may give you an edge in searches. Based on your comments I am reconsidering using jewelry for a brandname.

Regarding shipping, what you have is Ok and format is perfect. If you want to enter others, just separate with a comma. Here is what Google says:

The shipping options available for the product.

Format:

Each shipping option consists of three sub-attributes: the country an item will ship to (as an ISO 3166 country code), the delivery speed for the shipment, and the price of shipping (required). Up to 10 shipping options can be included for each item. For tab-delimited, separate each sub-attribute by a colon and each shipping option by a comma. For XML, the three sub-attributes are country, service, and price. Include each shipping option as a separate <shipping> attribute.

Tab-delimited example:

US:Ground:5.95,US:Overnight:35.95

XML example:

<g:shipping>

<g:country>US</g:country>

<g:service>Ground</g:service>

<g:price>5.95</g:price>

</g:shipping>

<g:shipping>

<g:country>US</g:country>

<g:service>Overnight</g:service>

<g:price>35.95</g:price>

</g:shipping>

Notice price is required for each method you enter . . . which means it can't be variable based on destination. Not sure if it really means much unless you're using Google Checkout. My website uses the USPS and UPS methods to calculate based on weight, carrier, and destination. :D

First let me say, Thanks for the contribution. I just uploaded it to my site today and was able to use it without problem. I am going to googlebase.php page and downloading the txt file myself and uploading it to goggle. Just easier for me right now since my knowledge of things is not so great.

But I have a question. On my store I am using the USPS shipping module and have weights on all my products. I do not use a table system. So, how can I get the shipping info to show up on goggle without having to manually edit each file?

I am not good with coding and do not want to change something that will make it crash.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Pattie

Hi everybody,

I am in the process of installing this contrib and I've made it to part 7 of the instructions; making sure everything is written properly. I am getting some errors, but I don't know what they mean. Could someone poitn me in the right direction? I sure would appreciate any advice...here's the errors...

Warning: fopen(): URL file-access is disabled in the server configuration in /home/content/a/w/a/awarner203/html/admin/googlefeeder.php on line 357

Warning: fopen(http://www.goodfellasgames.com/feeds/gfg_product_feed.txt): failed to open stream: no suitable wrapper could be found in /home/content/a/w/a/awarner203/html/admin/googlefeeder.php on line 357

Warning: fwrite(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/content/a/w/a/awarner203/html/admin/googlefeeder.php on line 358

Warning: fclose(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/content/a/w/a/awarner203/html/admin/googlefeeder.php on line 359

Warning: fopen(): URL file-access is disabled in the server configuration in /home/content/a/w/a/awarner203/html/admin/googlefeeder.php on line 365

Warning: fopen(http://www.goodfellasgames.com/feeds/gfg_product_feed.txt): failed to open stream: no suitable wrapper could be found in /home/content/a/w/a/awarner203/html/admin/googlefeeder.php on line 365

Warning: fwrite(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/content/a/w/a/awarner203/html/admin/googlefeeder.php on line 366

Warning: fclose(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/content/a/w/a/awarner203/html/admin/googlefeeder.php on line 367
File completed: gfg_product_feed.txt

Warning: chmod(): No such file or directory in /home/content/a/w/a/awarner203/html/admin/googlefeeder.php on line 369

Thanks for any direction....

Adam

We see our customers as invited guests to a party, and we are the hosts. It's our job every day to make every important aspect of the customer experience a little bit better. - Jeff Bezos

Hi everybody,

I am in the process of installing this contrib and I've made it to part 7 of the instructions; making sure everything is written properly. I am getting some errors, but I don't know what they mean. Could someone poitn me in the right direction? I sure would appreciate any advice...here's the errors...

Warning: fopen(): URL file-access is disabled in the server configuration in /home/content/a/w/a/awarner203/html/admin/googlefeeder.php on line 357

Warning: fopen(http://www.goodfellasgames.com/feeds/gfg_product_feed.txt): failed to open stream: no suitable wrapper could be found in /home/content/a/w/a/awarner203/html/admin/googlefeeder.php on line 357

Warning: fwrite(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/content/a/w/a/awarner203/html/admin/googlefeeder.php on line 358

Warning: fclose(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/content/a/w/a/awarner203/html/admin/googlefeeder.php on line 359

Warning: fopen(): URL file-access is disabled in the server configuration in /home/content/a/w/a/awarner203/html/admin/googlefeeder.php on line 365

Warning: fopen(http://www.goodfellasgames.com/feeds/gfg_product_feed.txt): failed to open stream: no suitable wrapper could be found in /home/content/a/w/a/awarner203/html/admin/googlefeeder.php on line 365

Warning: fwrite(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/content/a/w/a/awarner203/html/admin/googlefeeder.php on line 366

Warning: fclose(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/content/a/w/a/awarner203/html/admin/googlefeeder.php on line 367

Warning: chmod(): No such file or directory in /home/content/a/w/a/awarner203/html/admin/googlefeeder.php on line 369

Adam

We see our customers as invited guests to a party, and we are the hosts. It's our job every day to make every important aspect of the customer experience a little bit better. - Jeff Bezos

Hi everybody,

Adam

Hi everybody,

Adam

Hi everybody,

Adam

Can anyone give me some guidance? I sure would appreciate it:)

Adam

Can anyone give me some guidance? I sure would appreciate it:)

Adam

The webserver doesn't have write permissions to the directory that the file is being stored in. You can either create a blank file, and set the appropriate permissions on that file, or, set the directory as required by your webserver so it can write to the directory.

For security consideration, it is best to create the file and set permissions. To do this via a shell:

touch gfg_product_feed.txt

chmod o+w gfg_product_feed.txt (this depends on how your host has your webserver configured).

Dan

Dan Stevens

I'm trying to make a PriceGrabber feed and they want a shipping value. Like a few other people I use a value based on the weight of the products, not a fixed amount/table. How can I call/query the database to get back a shipping value for each product.

I'm quite happy writing SQL, so a complex answer would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Allen

http://www.healthy-living-products.co.uk

The webserver doesn't have write permissions to the directory that the file is being stored in. You can either create a blank file, and set the appropriate permissions on that file, or, set the directory as required by your webserver so it can write to the directory.

For security consideration, it is best to create the file and set permissions. To do this via a shell:

touch gfg_product_feed.txt

chmod o+w gfg_product_feed.txt (this depends on how your host has your webserver configured).

Dan

Thanks Dan,

It appears that I had a different issue, and a stupid one at that. I had downloaded this contribution and also the extra "googlefeeder_copychanges.zip" with the additional Google Base attribute requirements listed in the new file.

In this zip file is a googlefeeder.php file....the instructions before downloading this additional contrib specifically state "Do Not Overwrite the Existing googlefeeder.php file. Look for the additional stuff and change as necessary...etc..etc..."

Well, I must've missed that line, because I did overwrite the file and that was the casue of all my problems! A rookie mistake, I apologize;)

I started from scratch, and everything appears to test ok now, although I have yet to submit to Google Base (waiting for Multi-Client account change).

Thanks for the help, other readers please learn from my mistake.

Adam

Can someone here clarify something for me please?

As stated in the above post, I have everything working. I also added the Admin additions. When adding the additions, the code references some .php files for different company feeds, example below....

//Feeder Systems
 define('FILENAME_FEEDERS', 'feeders.php');
 define('FILENAME_AMAZON', 'amazon.php');
 define('FILENAME_BIZRATE', 'bizrate.php');
 define('FILENAME_GOOGLE', 'googlefeeder.php');
 define('FILENAME_MYSIMON', 'mysimon.php');
 define('FILENAME_PRICE_GRABBER', 'pricegrabber.php');
 define('FILENAME_SHOPPING', 'shopping.php');
 define('FILENAME_YAHOO','yahoo.php');

When I log into Admin and go to the "Feeder Systems" area, I see the following listed...

BizRate: Biz Rate

Froogle: Google Base / Froogle

Yahoo: Yahoo

The Froogle link runs and creates the .txt file I've specified in googlefeeder.php. The other two fail to open, which makes sense.

My main question is this...

Am I supossed to create these additional .php files? .... for Biz Rate, Yahoo, MySimon, etc...? They were not included in the "Feeds" folder in the contribution download. Have I missed them?

Can someone please clarify this for me?

Thanks a ton if you can help...sorry if this should be obvious, it's just not clicking with me today.

Adam

First let me say, Thanks for the contribution. I just uploaded it to my site today and was able to use it without problem. I am going to googlebase.php page and downloading the txt file myself and uploading it to goggle. Just easier for me right now since my knowledge of things is not so great.

But I have a question. On my store I am using the USPS shipping module and have weights on all my products. I do not use a table system. So, how can I get the shipping info to show up on goggle without having to manually edit each file?

I am not good with coding and do not want to change something that will make it crash.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Pattie

Anybody have a suggestion? I am manually adding to google but don't want to keep doing that. Also- I noticed that google does not accept items less than $1, is there anyway that I might be able to block certain items from showing up in my txt file?

Thanks so much for any help.

pattie

I am aware of the Feburary Requirements Update... and I am working on a new version. It's a bit difficult since I don't have a store of my own anymore.

awarner20: This was originally part of a "great" idea of mine to build a feeder for each of those applications, but due to new obligations (work); I am unable to provide a major update to include those feeders. To reduce confusion, references to those feeders will be removed in the next revision.

pattie1970: Yes; but that error is harmless. I would not worry about them, unless your feeds have a significant number of products (>1k) like that.

AllenConquest: If your familar with the way osC handles shipping, you can probably feed it the weight and get back the shipping options/prices then take that data and format it appropriately. Please contact me directly, if you'd like to work on it together or if you already have a solution. I'd like to integrate it.

General Note: For bugs please send me an e-mail directly to me; for free installation support and issue resolution please post in the forum. Most bugs are not error messages from the feeder meaning if the feed does not create successfully, it's unlikely to be a bug and is likely to be an installation issue.

Most likely your question has been answered, please do a search first.

I am aware of the Feburary Requirements Update... and I am working on a new version. It's a bit difficult since I don't have a store of my own anymore.

awarner20: This was originally part of a "great" idea of mine to build a feeder for each of those applications, but due to new obligations (work); I am unable to provide a major update to include those feeders. To reduce confusion, references to those feeders will be removed in the next revision.

pattie1970: Yes; but that error is harmless. I would not worry about them, unless your feeds have a significant number of products (>1k) like that.

AllenConquest: If your familar with the way osC handles shipping, you can probably feed it the weight and get back the shipping options/prices then take that data and format it appropriately. Please contact me directly, if you'd like to work on it together or if you already have a solution. I'd like to integrate it.

General Note: For bugs please send me an e-mail directly to me; for free installation support and issue resolution please post in the forum. Most bugs are not error messages from the feeder meaning if the feed does not create successfully, it's unlikely to be a bug and is likely to be an installation issue.

@ Michael and Flying Monkey

Thanks for the clarification, I really appreciate it. This is a great contrib, and I'd just like to give a personal thanks to Flying Monkey for supplying this! :)

Adam

Google Base / Froogle Data Feeder v1.20

Released By: Calvin K

E-Mail: [email protected]

------------------------

Date: February 25, 2006

Creates and automatically sends a data feed to Google Base and Froogle using Google's new unified feed specification. This Google Data Feeder, handles product duplicates, specials(if available), currency conversion, tax support, SEO links, html descriptions, full category trees, and automatic upload. In addition, the Google Data Feeder supports advance feeds. With the advance feed option enabled and the "quantity" field enabled, it will create a feed with all of the products. Without the advance feed option enabled, it will only submit in stock items.

Note: v1.10 was not publically released, but it's new SEO link feature is included in v1.20.

Feature: v1.20 updates the feed attribute requirements to Google's new February 2007 Requirements.

Edited by FlyingMonkey

Hi,

I've installed the latest version of this great contribution. Everything was a success until I pointed my browser to http://www.********.com/feeds/my-outfile.txt. The problem is that my products URLs are not generated properly. I'm using the latest version of Ultimate SEO URLs "Ultimate SEO URLs - 2.1d with optional Admin settable Product and Category URLs" by Yesudo. But I noticed that my products links shown in the feeder file are as follows:

www.********.com/product_info.php?products_id=1

www.********.com/product_info.php?products_id=2

www.********.com/product_info.php?products_id=3

www.********.com/product_info.php?products_id=4

www.********.com/product_info.php?products_id=5

And os on.

Any idea how to fix this?

Would appreciate any help.

One more thing, I noticed that the brand column is blank. Am I missing something?

Thank You.

Thanks for the update!! Works great!!!!

Just a question about 'product_type'. How do I get it to report the top level category?

For example:

I sell mostly outdoor sporting goods products. I list a category such as knives and then by brand/manufacturer. When I run googlefeeder.php the column for 'product_type' is 'Knives, Gerber'.

I know this is trival and I can edit the output file, but it would be nice to have it only report the 'top-level' category.

TIA

plusecheck: please read the installation guide, I believe it's step 2 or 3. Good luck! Brand is based on the Manufacturer that is set for the product. If no manufacturer is set, then there will be no brand. =)

edukes: For product type, I currently have it set to include the entire category tree (which may not neccessary be correct). My logic was that the more information about the product we can provide Google, the better chance of their algorithms guessing it correctly. If Google complains, I will adjust it to just the product level category. To obtain the 'top-level' category you would have to trace from the current category level through every parent category. If it's just one category deep, then you could just call for the parent category.

once again, i don't have a store anymore. so let me know if you notice any bugs. i will be traveling again for a while, so i may not have access to the forums. =)

Edited by FlyingMonkey

I have had problems the last few months with this script not uploading properly after connecting to google. I uncommented the following line and it works fine now. I'm not exactly certain why...perhaps google changed their ftp setting requirements.

//ftp_pasv ( $conn_id, true );

no, it usually has to do with your hosting and what ftp capabilities it allows. =)

Hi,

I get a totally blank page when trying to generate the feed.

$OutFile = "http://www.motorheadextraordinaire.com/feeds/motor_feed.txt"; //"CHANGEME-full-path-to-file-with-777-dir-and-file-permissions-your-outfile.txt";

$destination_file = "motor_feed.txt"; //"CHANGEME-filename-to-upload-to-google.txt" ;

$source_file = $OutFile;

$catalogURL = 'http://www.motorheadextraordinaire.com/';

$imageURL = 'http://www.motorheadextraordinaire.com/images/';

$productURL = 'http://www.motorheadextraordinaire.com/product_info.php?products_id=';

The products url in the store looks like this:

http://www.motorheadextraordinaire.com/pro.../products_id/38

With each folder a different number.

What goes in here? Is this a google account that the store owner needs to setup?

$ftp_server = "uploads.google.com" ;

$ftp_user_name = "CHANGEME-googleFTP-username";

$ftp_user_pass = "CHANGEME-googleFTP-password";

What goes in here? Is this a google account that the store owner needs to setup?

$ftp_server = "uploads.google.com" ;

$ftp_user_name = "CHANGEME-googleFTP-username";

$ftp_user_pass = "CHANGEME-googleFTP-password";

Yes, you must create a Google Account, that username and password will go there.