• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Automatically send data feed to Froogle

gottaloveit

Does Froogle work for Canada Businesses, it seems to be mainly US based?

Froogle is no longer supported. It is googlebase you want to us, which is what this contribution is. And, yes, it will work for other countries, even Canada. ;)

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

This isn't the support thread for that contribution and I only offer support for the contributions I work on. You'll need to ask in its support thread for help with it.

My apologies, I don't know how, but I meant to ask you in SEO URLs thread... since it might be seo.class related.

Absinthe Original Liquor Store

Froogle is no longer supported. It is googlebase you want to us, which is what this contribution is. And, yes, it will work for other countries, even Canada. ;)

Guess I as looking at the new Merchant center which appears not to support Canada specifically right now.

Is there anything I should be wary of or know in advance with this. It appears to not mess with much but I want to make sure it's not going to harm anything by submitting feeds. I already have Google Sitemap setup and that seems to be working great, just don't want conflicts.

Guess I as looking at the new Merchant center which appears not to support Canada specifically right now.

Is there anything I should be wary of or know in advance with this. It appears to not mess with much but I want to make sure it's not going to harm anything by submitting feeds. I already have Google Sitemap setup and that seems to be working great, just don't want conflicts.

No, there's no conflict and this contribution works fine for non-US sites. I'm not aware of any changes with the merchant center that will prevent it from working but that is easy to setup. It would take you about 15 minutes to setup a googlebase account and another 15 minutes to install this contribution and upload the feed. If google denied you for some strange reason, you've lost 30 minutes, probably less than you've spent worrying about doing this. If they do deny you, they won't allow your datafeed to be accepted so it can't do any harm. Sometimes you just have to take the plunge.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

No, there's no conflict and this contribution works fine for non-US sites. I'm not aware of any changes with the merchant center that will prevent it from working but that is easy to setup. It would take you about 15 minutes to setup a googlebase account and another 15 minutes to install this contribution and upload the feed. If google denied you for some strange reason, you've lost 30 minutes, probably less than you've spent worrying about doing this. If they do deny you, they won't allow your datafeed to be accepted so it can't do any harm. Sometimes you just have to take the plunge.

Yeah I guess maybe I need to do some reading. I have just taken a quick look through google base and it seems like its not geared towards product sales for businesses but services. It also just looks complicated with all the stuff it says it does (tax, SEO, shipping etc). I know this probably isn't the place but how does the service work and benefit the store?

Yeah I guess maybe I need to do some reading. I have just taken a quick look through google base and it seems like its not geared towards product sales for businesses but services. It also just looks complicated with all the stuff it says it does (tax, SEO, shipping etc). I know this probably isn't the place but how does the service work and benefit the store?

- Create a googlebase account

- Install this contibution

- Setup a cron job so it runs weekly

All done. It will benefit your site since it lists your products in googles store.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi first thanks looks to be a great contrib (if i can get it working!)

when running googlebase.php it generates the txt feed fine (and works when uploaded manaully )

but then times out with this error

Warning: ftp_put() [function.ftp-put]: php_connect_nonb() failed: Operation now in progress (115) in /home/XXXXX/public_html/shop/google_base.php on line 401

We checked else where and some of the solutions are

1)I used to have the same problem. Mine was caused by a firewall preventing access to the server.(Firewall is blocking FTP).

2)Call your host, ask if there is a firewall, tell them to allow outgoing connections on port 21 to you. (port 21 should allow for outgoing connection).

We asked the host to add the ip in the script to the firewall and it worked fine right after the ip was added, but then appears google changes this ip, or rotates ftp ports?

so the next day it stopped working with same error above...

Our host has said

"Weve adde the ip to whitelist but its completely different from what it was before. There is really no way for us to preemptively whitelist these IPs. Although if you could contact google and ask about this issue, they may be able to provide you with a port range that they are using for these ftp connections, We could then open those ports in the firewall and this issue would not arise again. But without that information there isn't much we can do."

Any ideas ?

Thanks

K

"Weve adde the ip to whitelist but its completely different from what it was before. There is really no way for us to preemptively whitelist these IPs. Although if you could contact google and ask about this issue, they may be able to provide you with a port range that they are using for these ftp connections, We could then open those ports in the firewall and this issue would not arise again. But without that information there isn't much we can do."

It's still a host issue. They have to allow ftp'ing from a script. You can try contacting google as they mentioned but I doubt that will help. If your host can't get it to work, it is time to switch hosts, I'm afraid.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

So it looks like Google won't except a feed when your store uses the Minimum Quantity contribution. It dis-regards the whole feed even when only a few items use a minimum quantity...

I'm using Google Froogle / Base feeder v2.5 Jack_mcs posted Dec 25th, 2009. There are 2 other updates, but neither seem to address the issue with Minimum quantity.

Google Says:

"Wrong prices: For items that can be purchased in various bulk

quantities, you should include the total price for the minimum quantity

available on your site. For example, if a user must purchase a minimum

quantity of ten items, you should include the total price for ten items

(the minimum purchasable quantity) in the 'price' attribute. Please update

your feed to make sure that all prices in your feed match the total price

for the minimum purchasable quantity on your site."

Aside from the one error in the master code area that leaves out the correct path to the images, it has worked for us up until last month. (just noticed it today).

Can anybody help me with the code needed to check the minimum quantity then multiple that with the price per unit? I can post the googlefeeder.php file if that will help, but I'm sure somebody else must have run into this issue by now.

Your help is appreciated.

So it looks like Google won't except a feed when your store uses the Minimum Quantity contribution. It dis-regards the whole feed even when only a few items use a minimum quantity...

Can anybody help me with the code needed to check the minimum quantity then multiple that with the price per unit? I can post the googlefeeder.php file if that will help, but I'm sure somebody else must have run into this issue by now.

This contribution can't work with all such addons out of the box since they each require specific code. To get it to work, you would need to alter the mysql code to load in those fields and then adjust the column information for the pricing.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

This contribution can't work with all such addons out of the box since they each require specific code. To get it to work, you would need to alter the mysql code to load in those fields and then adjust the column information for the pricing.

Okay so the original code in the file for the price is:

FORMAT( IFNULL(specials.specials_new_products_price, products.products_price) * " . $taxCalc . ",2) AS price,

Change to:

FORMAT( IFNULL(specials.specials_new_products_price, products.products_price) * products.minorder * " . $taxCalc . ",2) AS price,

Is this valid code?

Hi first thanks looks to be a great contrib (if i can get it working!)

when running googlebase.php it generates the txt feed fine (and works when uploaded manaully )

but then times out with this error

Warning: ftp_put() [function.ftp-put]: php_connect_nonb() failed: Operation now in progress (115) in /home/XXXXX/public_html/shop/google_base.php on line 401

We checked else where and some of the solutions are

1)I used to have the same problem. Mine was caused by a firewall preventing access to the server.(Firewall is blocking FTP).

2)Call your host, ask if there is a firewall, tell them to allow outgoing connections on port 21 to you. (port 21 should allow for outgoing connection).

We asked the host to add the ip in the script to the firewall and it worked fine right after the ip was added, but then appears google changes this ip, or rotates ftp ports?

so the next day it stopped working with same error above...

Our host has said

Any ideas ?

Thanks

K

Hi Jack, my host has said

"Unless google provides us with a list of IP's to whitelist for this, I think the only solution would be to just disable your firewall completely. This is not a problem with ftp on your server, your firewall is simply blocking it. As long as you have strong passwords for your accounts and are not running vulnerable/out of date software it should be fine. CSF will no longer be able to block users for login failures and your ports will no longer be blocked."

hmm

im not sure i lik the sound of that...especially seeing oscommerce is probably guilt of being "vulnerable/out of date software"

id hate to think this would then be responsible for bringing down the whole server...

is there no other way to allow ftping by this script?

find it hard to underdstand how other sites automating the fetching of product feeds

obviously every one isnt doing it manually or turning off their firewall

there must be another way?

thank again for your help jack

next reply from host...

"CSF does not protect against intrusion through out-date 3rd-party php software. I believe that was mentioned only as a general security measure. Unfortunately, we can find no other alternative. The issue is that the ports required for this connection to work are being blocked by the firewall. White-listing the IP allows this IP to connect on all ports and so makes the connection possible. The only way to have the firewall up and have the connection go through from any IP address would be if we expressly opened the port range that this connection uses. Since we do not have this information this is not possible."

any ideas, im confused now'

want this to be automated but worried if the firewall is turned off

Okay so the original code in the file for the price is:

Change to:

FORMAT( IFNULL(specials.specials_new_products_price, products.products_price) * products.minorder * " . $taxCalc . ",2) AS price,

Is this valid code?

It looks valid. You will have to change the mysql query to pull in the minorder field.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

any ideas, im confused now'

want this to be automated but worried if the firewall is turned off

No, there are specifics about the server I'm not privy to. Plus, it isn't something that is covered in a support thread like this. But this contribution works on many hosts without having to disable the firewall, which would be a mistake, so it still comes back to your host.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

thanks for the reply

my question would be

how does it work on other hosts without disabling the firewall?

my host said

"The issue is that the ports required for this connection to work are being blocked by the firewall. White-listing the IP allows this IP to connect on all ports and so makes the connection possible."

my host are super helpful normally and very good to deal with

how are other people doing it with a firewall?

thanks

thanks for the reply

my question would be

how does it work on other hosts without disabling the firewall?

my host said

"The issue is that the ports required for this connection to work are being blocked by the firewall. White-listing the IP allows this IP to connect on all ports and so makes the connection possible."

my host are super helpful normally and very good to deal with

how are other people doing it with a firewall?

thanks

Turn off FTP in the Googlefeeder.php and schedule the feed in the Google Merchant center. Google will GET the feed instead of you sending it via FTP.

Scheduling feeds

Print

The scheduling function allows you to create an uploading schedule for your data feed and define a URL pointing to the feed located on your website. Based on the schedule you create, the Google Merchant Center will then download the file from your website and upload it to your account for you.

To create or edit a schedule for a data feed:

1. Sign in to your Google Merchant Center account.

2. Click the Data feeds link.

3. Under the Upload schedule column, click Edit next to the data feed you'd like to schedule.

4. Schedule the desired frequency, timing, and location of your feed. (Important: The URL of your feed location must begin with either "http://" or "https://", include your domain name, and match the registered domain specified in your account.)

5. Click Save changes to complete the set-up process.

Note: The size of the file you're scheduling must be less than 15 megabytes (MB), and the user-agent "googlebot" is not being blocked from the directory containing your feed.

Community Bootstrap Edition, Edge

Avoid the most asked question. See How to Secure My Site and How do I...?

It looks valid. You will have to change the mysql query to pull in the minorder field.

Thanks Jack,

The code for the SQL was :

$sql = "
SELECT concat( '" . $productURL . "' ,products.products_id) AS product_url,
products_model AS prodModel,
manufacturers.manufacturers_name AS mfgName,
manufacturers.manufacturers_id,
products.products_id AS id,
products_description.products_name AS name,
products_description.products_description AS description,
products.products_quantity AS quantity,
products.products_status AS prodStatus,
products.products_weight AS prodWeight,
FORMAT( IFNULL(specials.specials_new_products_price, products.products_price) * " . $taxCalc . ",2) AS price,
CONCAT( '" . $imageURL . "' ,products.products_image) AS image_url,
products_to_categories.categories_id AS prodCatID,
categories.parent_id AS catParentID,
categories_description.categories_name AS catName
FROM (categories,
categories_description,
products,
products_description,
products_to_categories)

I just replaced the FORMAT line with the code above:

And the calculations were done perfectly in my out_put.txt file.

It appears to be the only change I needed. I'll do a manual upload now at google and see what they say.

Edited by NodsDorf

thanks jack

aah okay

so setup a cron to run googlebase.php but schedule a get

how would i turn the ftp off ?

can see line 368 comment

//Start FTP to Froogle

would i comment out all this code to the end of the

//End FTP to Froogle ??

thanks heaps for your time with this

you are a complete legend!

thanks jack

aah okay

so setup a cron to run googlebase.php but schedule a get

how would i turn the ftp off ?

can see line 368 comment

//Start FTP to Froogle

would i comment out all this code to the end of the

//End FTP to Froogle ??

thanks heaps for your time with this

you are a complete legend!

If I remember right, there is a SINGLE line of code that allows you to turn off FTP as if you are just testing. Just set that option to '0'

Community Bootstrap Edition, Edge

Avoid the most asked question. See How to Secure My Site and How do I...?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I've got Googlefeeder v2.5 installed and this wonderful contribution worked like a dream. Until I changed hosts, transferred the database, the site is working fine, lots of orders, then ran it again to create the .txt datafile, but it is now not picking up any new products that I add to the database. i.e. it generates the file but does not include all the products. Any ideas much appreciated. Are there any settings that must be changed in the db or config files when you change hosts?

cheers

project2016

I've got Googlefeeder v2.5 installed and this wonderful contribution worked like a dream. Until I changed hosts, transferred the database, the site is working fine, lots of orders, then ran it again to create the .txt datafile, but it is now not picking up any new products that I add to the database. i.e. it generates the file but does not include all the products. Any ideas much appreciated. Are there any settings that must be changed in the db or config files when you change hosts?

There isn't anything in the code that would cause that to happen if it was working before. If the feed is actually being created, but just not with the new products, then it has to be how the new products are set up. Maybe they are disabled or something like that? Try editing one of the products that does get included and then run the feed to see if they are being seen correctly. If not, then the code may be picking up the wrong database login. Be sure the configure file is pointing to the new database.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

There isn't anything in the code that would cause that to happen if it was working before. If the feed is actually being created, but just not with the new products, then it has to be how the new products are set up. Maybe they are disabled or something like that? Try editing one of the products that does get included and then run the feed to see if they are being seen correctly. If not, then the code may be picking up the wrong database login. Be sure the configure file is pointing to the new database.

Sorry Jack, I double checked and it was not creating the file again, I had not checked the date of the old one. But I found out what was wrong, the images directory was set to 777, and feeds was 755, so for some reason it did not create the file. 755 was read only on Group Permissions, and 777 is open to all! Presumably since its php & an SQL query that is creating and populating the file, the Group permissions are important.

thanks for your time.

Graham