• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Reserve an out of stock item

Hi there, I've searched the contribution list and the forums and found nothing on this matter.

I'm just wondering if anyone has or knows of a contribution that allows a customer reserve an item which is out of stock?

If not then its going to be a looong night and a lot of headaches for me and my php tutorial book :blink:

cheers :)

aL

If there isn't one about then I'll get working on one as I'm sure alot of people would like this modification...

I need to finish my site first though, which is a pretty big task in itself, so it may a few weeks / a month before I get working on it.

I'll let you know if/when I do get round to it angeleyz :) And ofcourse I'll post it in the contributions list.

It's a tricky one though, not sure how I'd set about doing it.

What do you think would be the best method? Perhaps when a user clicks 'order / reserve item' (which shows up if an item is out of stock in place of the 'buy now' button) it brings up a page where the user can fill out details about the order and submit it. On successful submition perhaps it could flag up a message in the admin panel requesting the order ??

Is there anything else it should do?

*I'll be out of town untill the 3rd of January so I won't be able to reply until then*

How about a new button all together that just says "Reserve" and then puts into a queue list in your shopping cart? It might be a lot of work, but I know on a site like mine it would be worth it. Then perhaps the customer could get emailed when it's in stock and available for purchase again? I know on all my products if it's out of stock, it has an ETA date for when it will be back in stock. If it doesn't have an ETA date, I simply make that item inactive so the customer can't see it at all.

Hmmmm........ maybe another idea would be to make a notification system like the "Tell a Friend" contrib. But instead it would be "Notify me when Product is in stock" contrib. So in other words, they wouldn't necessarily order the product, but would be notified when it's back and then could order it then... maybe that would be less work and would accomplish the same goal ultimately???

Have a great holiday and I'll talk to you when yuo get back :)

I would be interested in this mod too.

Like you said, there has to be a way to notify the store that an item is wanted. Some of my items will not get restocked unless I see a lot of people looking at it. I would let people order out of stock items, but then they probably will get tired of waiting for it to ship.

There is a contrib called wishlist, which act like another cart. People can add items, which stay in there till they delete or buy. It also has the ability to email a friend the wishlist.

It might be a good candidate for this admin notification contribution, if we can modify it to notify the store when an item is added to the wishlist.

Also MS2 has some sort of product notification system, but I haven't really checked it out. I guess you can either go to my account and there is a product notification under email notifications. There is a global product notification, as well as the ability to be notified about specific products. The catch is that you have to purchase the product in order to get to the check the box to be notified of products your interested in. there is no other way to be notified of the product your interested in. It is the account_notifications.php

Well hope this gives you some easier way to make a contrib instead of starting from scratch. Can't think to straight tonight..

Happy holidays :D

there is also a mod called unsold cart and another by the same author called recover carts or something similar to that. There may also be a way to modify them to make a reserve item contrib. the author is Aalst and you should be able to find the forum and member name by searching the contribs for recover cart.

She might be able to help make a contribution for reserve or similar to what you are looking for

• 1 year later...
there is also a mod called unsold cart and another by the same author called recover carts or something similar to that.  There may also be a way to modify them to make a reserve item contrib.  the author is Aalst and you should be able to find the forum and member name by searching the contribs for recover cart.

She might be able to help make a contribution for reserve or similar to what you are looking for

I have made a module which will automatically tell a customer when an item comes into stock, could that help? It's at:

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,3152/

Hope it helps!

Archived