• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Article Manager v1.0

RobAnderson

Hello, I was thrilled to see Article Manager available for use. It's exacly what I've been looking for for my site, but it doesn't seem to be working. My problem is that it will only display 1 article in any topic. If I have 3 articles in topic X, only the most recently added topic is displayed under X. I'm using OSC 2.2 MS 2 and everything else seems to work fine. Any ideas? :blink:

Hi, Rob. i think i have a big problem in version or missing some php files that containing some functions ( I installed oscommerce 2.2 MS2

- in admin modules ( article listing ), i got a fatal error php's warning that tmp_array_merge() is not defined, when i want to create a new category

- and then when i click new product, i filled the fields, then i click preview button, then the same warning note, but different function, it said that " calling undefined function tep_get_uploaded_file() "

all error point to catalog\admin\articlecat.php line ( .. depends on where the functions locate )

Maybe, i miss the requirement files?

Thanks for your help.

Hendri

Edited by skydance

Has any one got this working yet with any kind of modification so article can appear on the home page (index.php) in a similar fashion as products??

This is becoming more and more inportant for one possible installation I have ... any ideas how this might be achieved??

• 3 weeks later...
Has any one got this working yet with any kind of modification so article can appear on the home page (index.php) in a similar fashion as products??

This is becoming more and more inportant for one possible installation I have ... any ideas how this might be achieved??

There is a "Mainpage" contribution that does exactly what you want. It uses the same WYSIWYG editor, so the amount of work involved is minimal if you aqlready have the article manager installed.

Many Thanks,

Steve

I have just installed Article Manager V1.2 and I am getting the known error

unexpected '}' in admin/articles_xsell.php line 258

I read all pages of replies to this post and found one anser to this problem and indicating that a fix was available in the spanish version. (that was not the case)

I also tried to modify the php file myself but the programming style (omitting optional {' and }' made it impossible for me to guess if the missing { and } where intentional....

can you please help?

ok, as inexperienced as I am I got article manager 1.2b to work (phew!) after a few problem of my doing. BUT I have a question, and Rob I hope your watching this!

On the catalog index page the article box is present.

In admin I added a new topic and this appears on the public side like this

my_topic_title

new articles(0)

all articles (0)

So I gather that articles and topics are different. Now, I then added a new article in admin BUT the public side still displays

my_topic_title

new articles(0)

all articles (0)

Can you help me out here with this??

Sarah

• 2 weeks later...

This contrib is driving me batty too. YOu have the New Articles link and the ALL articles link. But all I want is an articles link to take someone to a page where they can pick the articles they want to read...I have 20 + articles to put in there, I don't want an info box stretching to the moon. So I really dont see the purpose for the ALL and NEW articles topics, and I cant seem to get the jist as to what this thing is really doing.

Any ideas on thsi please? Id like to just have 20 articles to pick from, then goto their perspective pages..

Also do I HAVE to have a topic to post an article. I would like to have it so I have a few articles on the first page as search engines dont really go two deep.

S

Edited by Sincraft

OK - with the above questions in mind..I'm VERY confused as to why:

1. you can't add a root level article. I create an article in the 'top' area, but it doesn't show up.

2. Why when you have no articles does the articles box show up but the author box hides when there are no articles.

3. is anyone else that runs this experiencing a slowdown of their website?

S

OK - with the above questions in mind..I'm VERY confused as to why:

1. you can't add a root level article.  I create an article in the 'top' area, but it doesn't show up. 

2. Why when you have no articles does the articles box show up but the author box hides when there are no articles.

3. is anyone else that runs this experiencing a slowdown of their website?

S

1. You can take advantage of this "feature". I write articles that I don't want customers to find directly. for example, articles that are only accessible from a product as additional information, and articles that I submit to Google.

3. I don't get a slowdown.

Many Thanks,

Steve

ok, as inexperienced as I am I got article manager 1.2b to work (phew!) after a few problem of my doing. BUT I have a question, and Rob I hope your watching this!

On the catalog index page the article box is present.

In admin I added a new topic and this appears on the public side like this

my_topic_title

new articles(0)

all articles (0)

So I gather that articles and topics are different. Now, I then added a new article in admin BUT the public side still displays

my_topic_title

new articles(0)

all articles (0)

Can you help me out here with this??

Sarah

You can change that by going into administration>>article manager>>configuration

This contrib is driving me batty too.  YOu have the New Articles link and the ALL articles link.  But all I want is an articles link to take someone to a page where they can pick the articles they want to read...I have 20 + articles to put in there, I don't want an info box stretching to the moon.  So I really dont see the purpose for the ALL and NEW articles topics, and I cant seem to get the jist as to what this thing is really doing.

Any ideas on thsi please? Id like to just have 20 articles to pick from, then goto their perspective pages..

Also do I HAVE to have a topic to post an article.  I would like to have it so I have a few articles on the first page as search engines dont really go two deep.

S

administration>>article manager>>configuration

Sorry TCwho. Exactly what can I change in the admin? Could you clarify. Sarah

Hey Sarah. What I meant to point out was after you write a article you have to approve it. You will notice the little green and red circles next to the articles....(under status column)

Still cant post articles at the root level - They have to be posted inside a TOPIC. So then the person has to click on the topic name, then the article. I want 5 articles on the front page in that little info box that when they click on those articles, it goes to the articles...then I could create a MORE topic that takes people to all my articles.

Any help on this please...still trying to figure out why this GREAT little tool didnt allow for this..

S

I dont really see the point of what you are trying to do, but:

how about calling the 'topic' the 'title of the article' you want it to say...that you want people to then click on to show them more 'articles'

Yes - this is how I see it TC;

In case this is helpful, I found a good working practice for my setup.

First in article manager config I turn OFF show new articles AND show all articles. Then I add a new topic, say news. Within this News folder I create articles namely January 2005, February 2005 etc. I wanted another topic so I added another called Photography and WITHIN this topic I added articles called Canon EOS20D and Canon 300D. Now when I go to the main page I see this:

ARTICLES

NEWS (2)

PHOTOGRAPHY(2)

Click on either link and you see the articles within the topic.

Great! Just what I wanted. It was quite confusing until I thought about Topics in terms of folders and articles in terms of files. I realise that this is not how everyone wants to set it up but it may help.

Sarah

haha the point of what I am trying to do is just make it so when they click on a Link, they get what they clicked on. Search engines penalize you for making people jump through hoops and rate content MUCH higher when it is one level less than how this contrib is currently setup.

S

I dont really see the point of what you are trying to do, but:

how about calling the 'topic' the 'title of the article' you want it to say...that you want people to then click on to show them more 'articles'

Because then your description is a 250 or so words and search engines consider this keyword or description spamming and penalize you.

I dont really want or care about creating articles for people. I am doing this solely because content is considered king for search engine ranking. Therefore I am creating quality content...if people find it useful, great, but I want them there to purchase our product - not to help or inform people, I help enough people in my life and online hehe.

S

Found another bug er...well I consider the others a bug, this possibly is more of a realistic bug rather than lack of features..

When you are entering a topic, and hit preview, then hit back ...it doesn't take you back to the editor - It wipes everything out and takes you back to Articles/Topics.

S

And another..

When enter a LONG description for a topic - either the editor is broken or the description was made to scrunch things to fit on one page because it takes half of my info and keeps it to its original size, then the other half is shrunk to a smaller pixeled font size. I've tried everything, selecting all and clicking on the font then size, tried copy and paste from word..

S

The above issue was resolved by typing everything in over again. The editor seems to be 'broken'. I also tried another document from plain text that was sent to me, and it kept wanting to size it either 10 or 14, but wouldn't allow me to pick size 12. Very odd. Is there a way I can access another editor or remove the editor on this and add a newer updated one that works properly?

S