• Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Article Manager v1.0

RobAnderson

Does this help, ran the test --- see it probably is something I am doing wrong

Missing Code in File explain

How can I run fill tags for the articles, the only thing that shows up is products and categories ?

Header Tags doesn't handle the article manager related files in admin other than allowing the pages to be added and set so the test isn't helpful.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

I have loaded the this much needed contribution and am thankful for it. It is very easy to add articles. I have only one problem, I cannot load the article boxes. I can use the other functions of the contribution. I can load boxes for other functions, but I get the following errors when I try to load the article boxes.

Warning: include(/home/public_html/mysite.com/orders/includes/languages/english/modules/boxes/header_tags_social_bookmarks.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/public_html/mysite.com/orders/admin/modules.php on line 129

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening '/home/public_html/mysite.com/orders/includes/languages/english/modules/boxes/header_tags_social_bookmarks.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/public_html/mysite.com/orders/admin/modules.php on line 129

Fatal error: Call to undefined function stripsid() in /home/public_html/mysite.com/orders/includes/modules/boxes/header_tags_social_bookmarks.php on line 23

During the installation, I could not find the following code in my installation:

In catalog/tell-a-friend.php

FIND (about line 153):

<!-- body_text //-->

<td width="100%" valign="top"><?php echo tep_draw_form('email_friend', tep_href_link(FILENAME_TELL_A_FRIEND, 'action=process&products_id=' . $HTTP_GET_VARS['products_id'])); ?><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">

<tr>

<td><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">

<tr>

<td class="pageHeading"><?php echo sprintf(HEADING_TITLE, $product_info['products_name']); ?></td>

FIND (about line 268):

<td><?php echo '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCT_INFO, 'products_id=' . $HTTP_GET_VARS['products_id']) . '">' . tep_image_button('button_back.gif', IMAGE_BUTTON_BACK) . '</a>'; ?></td>

I got the first part fixed. I had put a file in the wrong directory.

I still can't figure the following out.

During the installation, I could not find the following code in my installation:

In catalog/tell-a-friend.php

FIND (about line 153):

<!-- body_text //-->

<td width="100%" valign="top"><?php echo tep_draw_form('email_friend', tep_href_link(FILENAME_TELL_A_FRIEND, 'action=process&products_id=' . $HTTP_GET_VARS['products_id'])); ?><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">

<tr>

<td><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">

<tr>

<td class="pageHeading"><?php echo sprintf(HEADING_TITLE, $product_info['products_name']); ?></td>

FIND (about line 268):

<td><?php echo '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCT_INFO, 'products_id=' . $HTTP_GET_VARS['products_id']) . '">' . tep_image_button('button_back.gif', IMAGE_BUTTON_BACK) . '</a>'; ?></td>

Also, if I show blog articles the url is wrong. mysite.com/FILENAME_ARTICLE_BLOG?articles_id=1

Also, if I show blog articles the url is wrong. mysite.com/FILENAME_ARTICLE_BLOG?articles_id=1

It means the installation is not correct.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi I had this problem for my 2.3 OSC, all that was missing was

define('FILENAME_ARTICLE_BLOG', 'article_blog.php');

from the catalog/includes/filenames.php

It is included for drop over files but not included in the instructions for manually editing the files.

Hi, I am having problems with other languages. The infobox does not show the articles when a language other than English is chosen. Is there a conflict with the Ultimate_Seo_Urls_5_PRO_r205 contribution?

Try turning SEO 5 off and see if it works. If it does, then it is a problem with SEO 5. If not, then there is a mistake in your installation.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Try turning SEO 5 off and see if it works. If it does, then it is a problem with SEO 5. If not, then there is a mistake in your installation.

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately it didn't work, same outcome with SEO turned off. The article entries are created in the database with the correct language ids but for some reason they are not displayed. I will examine the installation instructions again but I am confident I didn't make any mistakes. I am using OSC 2.3.1.

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately it didn't work, same outcome with SEO turned off. The article entries are created in the database with the correct language ids but for some reason they are not displayed. I will examine the installation instructions again but I am confident I didn't make any mistakes. I am using OSC 2.3.1.

With 2.3, you have to enable the box in admin->Module->Boxes so that may be the problem.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

OK so I deleted all the old authors including articles from the admin page and created a new ones. For some reason now everything works as it should. Both languages display the articles in the infobox.

However I have noticed a new problem regarding the 'submit your own article' from the store front. If the article is written and submitted by a user from the store front only the current store language options and fields are available unlike the admin page where all available language fields are available. This creates the problem that the article will only be available and visible in the language that it was written in. Also only the English language submitted articles become available in the admin page for approval. Even though the data does gets written to the database for the non-English, the articles are not available in the admin for approval.

I already had enabled the boxes.

OK so I deleted all the old authors including articles from the admin page and created a new ones. For some reason now everything works as it should. Both languages display the articles in the infobox.

However I have noticed a new problem regarding the 'submit your own article' from the store front. If the article is written and submitted by a user from the store front only the current store language options and fields are available unlike the admin page where all available language fields are available. This creates the problem that the article will only be available and visible in the language that it was written in. Also only the English language submitted articles become available in the admin page for approval. Even though the data does gets written to the database for the non-English, the articles are not available in the admin for approval.

I already had enabled the boxes.

Those are probably coding issues. I don't see the pointing of displaying an article on a Spanish page when it was written in English (or whatever the languages are) but. I will add them to the list of things to look at for the next version.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

I understand your logic but I think it would be better if all the articles show up in the infobox irrespective of the store language, let the user decide if they want to read it or not. Could it not be implemented by either providing additional fields like the admin area and the user has the option to either write the article more than once, or have hidden language fields that autofill to the other languages available to the system with whatever was written and submitted by the users?

I noticed that articles submitted in the current store language by users only become available to the admin page for that language.

What I mean is that if the store is in english and an article is submitted for approval, it will only be visible in the article manager area of that language in the admin page if the admin has logged in for that language. ie if the article is submitted when the store front is in a different language the admin will have to log out of the english admin and log in with the other language in order to see and approve the article.

I know what I wrote is a bit confusing but I hope you can make sense of it. Thanks by the way for the great work you have done so far for osc.

I noticed that articles submitted in the current store language by users only become available to the admin page for that language.

Yes, I understood and can duplicate it here.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Ok I found a couple quirks.

This doesn't seam to handle sub topics very well or maybe just in spots.

on the article topics page

http://absolutelyscooterparts.net/catalog/article-topics.php

My whole service tips topic is omitted on the page but shows up in the box to the right.

on the article topics page of scooter parts diagrams

http://absolutelyscooterparts.net/catalog/scooter-parts-diagrams-t-4.html

It doesn't show the sub topic, only the one article in the parent category. So when someone clicks the info box of scooter parts diagrams it brings up the parent category but doesn't show the sub topic accept in little print off in the info box.

I don't know if this is a code issue or something I have configured wrong. Any suggestions?

It sounds you are talking about cross scripting. As far as I know, this code should not allow it but it is possible. You'll need to ask in the general forums for cross scripting fixes though (there's a contribution for it).

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

[Fri Dec 16 03:58:40 2011] [error] [client ] PHP Warning:  require(includes/languages/english/FILENAME_ARTICLE_BLOG) [<a href='function.require'>function.require</a>]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/html/article_blog.php on line 15
[Fri Dec 16 03:58:40 2011] [error] [client ] PHP Fatal error:  require() [<a href='function.require'>function.require</a>]: Failed opening required 'includes/languages/english/FILENAME_ARTICLE_BLOG' (include_path='.:/usr/share/pear:/usr/share/php') in /var/www/html/article_blog.php on line 15

When I placed www.discxpress.com/article_blog.php in my browser, I get a 500 error. I checked for includes/languages/english/FILENAME_ARTICLE_BLOG and it's there. Here's the code for line 15 in article_blog.php:

require(DIR_WS_LANGUAGES . $language . '/' . FILENAME_ARTICLE_BLOG);

Thanks for reading

Jack,

Is it possible to generate a xml site map of articles? I was wondering for seo purposes.

Im sure with coding it can be done.

That would be a great feature to add when you have the time.

:)

NOTE: I forgot to search first, found the answer.

Edited by discxpress

• 3 weeks later...

Not really a complaint or suggestion, more of a 'is this possible' kind of question (osc 2.3.1, latest ver of Article Manager).

I've got two topics (Let's call them Topic1 and Topic2), each with say 4-5 articles per topic. What I'd like to do is display an independant Articles box in the left hand menu for each topic, so something like this:

(box header)

Topic1

--------

Article1

Article2

Article3

(box terminator)

(box header)

Topic2

---------

Article 1a

Article 2a

Article 3a

(box terminator)

Instead, what I end up with is this:

(box header)

Default Topic

----------------

Article 1

Article 2

Article 1a

Article 3

(box terminator)

I'm pretty sure I can fake this out, either by trapping the (box terminator) and then adding a hardcoded Topic2 box in the same bm_articles.php, or by creating an entirely new 'bm_articles_topic2.php' specifically for Topic2. What I was wondering is if there's an 'easy' way to do it using the traditional Article Manager configuration.

Apologies if this is in the wrong place;

Not really a complaint or suggestion, more of a 'is this possible' kind of question (osc 2.3.1, latest ver of Article Manager).

I've got two topics (Let's call them Topic1 and Topic2), each with say 4-5 articles per topic. What I'd like to do is display an independant Articles box in the left hand menu for each topic, so something like this:

(box header)

I'm pretty sure I can fake this out, either by trapping the (box terminator) and then adding a hardcoded Topic2 box in the same bm_articles.php, or by creating an entirely new 'bm_articles_topic2.php' specifically for Topic2. What I was wondering is if there's an 'easy' way to do it using the traditional Article Manager configuration.

Apologies if this is in the wrong place;

I'm not sure I understand what you are asking but it sounds like you want the articles broken up into separate infoboxes. If that is the case, there isn't anything in the code that will allow that. You would need to duplicate the articles infobox and then edit it to only show what you wanted.

Edited by Jack_mcs

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons