• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Article Manager v1.0

RobAnderson

Jack

I have installed Articles Manager V 1.57_5 on a rc2a shop running Header Tags SEO V 3.2.5.

When I go to http://www.firststopsecurity.com/store/admin4sec/articles.php?selected_box=articles this error appears to the right of the search box.

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 268435456 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 71 bytes) in /home1/firstst4/public_html/store/admin4sec/includes/functions/articles.php on line 52

The source generated is

<td align="center" colspan="3"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">
             <tr>
               <td width="70%"></td>
               <td class="smallText" align="right">
<form name="search" action="http://www.firststopsecurity.com/store/admin4sec/articles.php" method="get">Search: <input type="text" name="search"></form>                </td>

<td class="smallText" align="right">
<form name="goto" action="http://www.firststopsecurity.com/store/admin4sec/articles.php" method="get"><br />
<b>Fatal error</b>:  Allowed memory size of 536870912 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 71 bytes) in <b>/home1/firstst4/public_html/store/admin4sec/includes/functions/articles.php</b> on line <b>52</b><br />

A dump of the query shows

select c.topics_id, cd.topics_name, c.parent_id from topics c, topics_description cd where c.topics_id = cd.topics_id and cd.language_id = '1' and c.parent_id = '0' order by c.sort_order, cd.topics_name

select c.topics_id, cd.topics_name, c.parent_id from topics c, topics_description cd where c.topics_id = cd.topics_id and cd.language_id = '1' and c.parent_id = '0' order by c.sort_order, cd.topics_name

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 67108864 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 15265 bytes) in /home1/firstst4/public_html/store/admin4sec/includes/functions/articles.php on line 57

Naturally enough, new installation, everything empty: same code in phpmyadmin gives

Showing rows 0 - 0 (1 total, Query took 0.3076 sec)

Just for the h**l of it I have raised the max memory in steps from 64MB to 512MB and still get the same message.

Can you recommend anything to check for?

Cheers

G

No, unfortunately it did not mention the problem I was having and my searches did not pick it up. Hopefully by splattering it across this post it will help others locate it in future.

Anyway thanks for pointing it out.

The delete worked a dream.

Cheers

G

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 268435456 bytes exhausted

I finally ran into a site that had this problem after a new installation. 

The cause is that the mysql file sets the topic id of the first topic to 0, which causes the code to endlessly loop for some versions of mysql. 

The fix is to change the id from 0 to 1 in the topics and topics description tables, or just delete them. 

If you have other entries, then change the 0 to some number not yet used but then add a new topic to be sure the auto increment field is set correctly. 

Need help installing add ons/contributions, cleaning a hacked site or a bespoke development, check my profile

Virus Threat Scanner

My Contributions

Basic install answers.

Click here for Contributions / Add Ons.

UK your site.

Site Move.

Basic design info.

For links mentioned in old answers that are no longer here follow this link Useful Threads.

If this post was useful, click the Like This button over there ======>>>>>.

Hi all

I have a problem: my articles have subcategories, but when I click on the main categories, the sub categories are not shown. what should I do?

Thanks

A new version will be released soon. I don't recall if that problem was specifically addressed in it but I know some work was done in that section so I suggest waiting and seeing if the problem exits after the upgrade. For what it is worth, I don't have that problem in my test shop.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

A new version has been uploaded with the following changes:

- Added a Printer Friendly option to the articles page.

- Added authors image as an option for the submit an articles page.

- Added code for handling uploading images for authors in admin.

- Added code for handling uploading images for articles in admin.

- Added code to allow an html editor to work with the articles.

- Added code to allow an html editor to work with the authors.

- Added code to delete the associated image when an article, topic or author is deleted.

- Added configure options to add separator lines for the articles box. The style class is in the includes/boxes/articles.php file.

- Added configure options to limit the number of links displayed in the articles box.

- Added sorting for articles.

- Changed articles page so it displays the authors image, if present.

- Changed mysql statement to fix the problem with exhausted memory for some sites.

- Changed mysql for topics to articles table for sites with large numbers of topics/articles.

- Converted files to work with oscommerce 2.3 (not completed but works).

- Fixed coding mistake in the search function that prevented text with spaces from being found.

- Fixed coding mistake in includes/boxes/articles.php introduced in last version that prevented articles from being displayed.

- Fixed coding mistake in includes/boxes/articles.php introduced in last version that prevented articles from being sorted.

- Fixed delete problem in admin/articles_xsell.php that failed if only one delete was being done.

- Fixed spelling mistake in article-submit.php for email subject.

- Fixed many more minor coding misakes and cleaned up the code a little more.

- Removed all code having to do with the htmlArea editor.

- Removed instructions for different languages since I couldn't support them and they were not complete anyway.

- Replaced short-cut php delimiter in article_xsell.php (the last one).

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

A new version has been uploaded with the following changes:

- Added a Printer Friendly option to the articles page.

- Added authors image as an option for the submit an articles page.

- Added code for handling uploading images for authors in admin.

- Added code for handling uploading images for articles in admin.

- Added code to allow an html editor to work with the articles.

- Added code to allow an html editor to work with the authors.

- Added code to delete the associated image when an article, topic or author is deleted.

- Added configure options to add separator lines for the articles box. The style class is in the includes/boxes/articles.php file.

- Added configure options to limit the number of links displayed in the articles box.

- Added sorting for articles.

- Changed articles page so it displays the authors image, if present.

- Changed mysql statement to fix the problem with exhausted memory for some sites.

- Changed mysql for topics to articles table for sites with large numbers of topics/articles.

- Converted files to work with oscommerce 2.3 (not completed but works).

- Fixed coding mistake in the search function that prevented text with spaces from being found.

- Fixed coding mistake in includes/boxes/articles.php introduced in last version that prevented articles from being displayed.

- Fixed coding mistake in includes/boxes/articles.php introduced in last version that prevented articles from being sorted.

- Fixed delete problem in admin/articles_xsell.php that failed if only one delete was being done.

- Fixed spelling mistake in article-submit.php for email subject.

- Fixed many more minor coding misakes and cleaned up the code a little more.

- Removed all code having to do with the htmlArea editor.

- Removed instructions for different languages since I couldn't support them and they were not complete anyway.

- Replaced short-cut php delimiter in article_xsell.php (the last one).

Hi Jack,

it looks like to be over sized. Could you separate?

:blink:
osCommerce based shop owner with minimal design and focused on background works. When the less is more.
Email managment with tracking pixel, package managment for shipping, stock management, warehouse managment with bar code reader, parcel shops management on 3000 pickup points without local store.

Would this work with "KissMT Dynamic SEO Meta & Canonical Header Tags"? Also if not would it hurt if I have both installed?

The non-1_57 version should, though I'm only guesing. For the 1_57 version you would have to make some edits to get them to work together. But, once done, you would lose the pseudo page abilities of Header Tags SEO, which will help the pages of Article Maanger rank better, so, if that is important to you, I wouldn't recommend it.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Thanks for Update to 2.3.1 but

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Add the following before the last ?> in includes/column_left.php or 
column_right.php (depending on what side you want the boxes):

/**** BEGIN ARTICLE MANAGER ****/
 if (AUTHOR_BOX_DISPLAY == 'true'){
   require(DIR_WS_BOXES . 'authors.php');
 }
 if (ARTICLE_BOX_DISPLAY == 'true'){
   require(DIR_WS_BOXES . 'articles.php');
 }
 /**** END ARTICLE MANAGER ****/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

includes/column_left.php or includes/column_right.php not in the 2.3.1 Version.

Who file I mustt be edit?

includes/column_left.php or includes/column_right.php not in the 2.3.1 Version.

Who file I mustt be edit?

You don't. That is an oversight in the instructions. In 2.3, you install the boxes in admin. So go to admin->Modules and click on the install link and install the new boxes. Then edit them to display as you want.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi,

I installed Article manager V1.57_6 on a vanilla OSC RC2. I have followed the instructions including installing Header Tags SEO V 3.2.5.

All seemed to go well, a few niggly problems, now sorted, along with the following:

Add the following before the last ?> in includes/column_left.php or

column_right.php (depending on what side you want the boxes):

if (AUTHOR_BOX_DISPLAY == 'true'){

}

if (ARTICLE_BOX_DISPLAY == 'true'){

}

got round it by leaving it out as when i replaced it with the following:

the site would hang, but it was better if i just added:

Anyway hope this helps somebody, but my main problem is that when i login to the admin section and goto

admin > Articles Manager, the default page appears, however in the list, i cant seem to find a way of adding any articles.

I can add authors etc, which i have done as this was in the instructions to do first.

I have checked the installation several times, reinstalled it several times, installed Header Tags SEO first and then Article Manager V1.57_6

and then the other way round, each time comparing files with win merge.

Still no luck.

Have i just over looed something obvious?

Hope somebody has an idea, please

got round it by leaving it out as when i replaced it with the following:

the site would hang, but it was better if i just added:

That won't do you any good since it prevents the articles box from showing on the site and without it, the contribution doesn't serve a purpose. You should restore that code to the original and then turn off the options for the boxes in admin until the problem is resolved.

Anyway hope this helps somebody, but my main problem is that when i login to the admin section and goto

admin > Articles Manager, the default page appears, however in the list, i cant seem to find a way of adding any articles.

The should be two buttons on that page: new topic and new article. Are you saying they are not there? If not, maybe you didn't upload all of the files?

Edited by Jack_mcs

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

That won't do you any good since it prevents the articles box from showing on the site and without it, the contribution doesn't serve a purpose. You should restore that code to the original and then turn off the options for the boxes in admin until the problem is resolved.

The articles and author box was just to try it out to see what it may look like, have left it out for now.

The should be two buttons on that page: new topic and new article. Are you saying they are not there? If not, maybe you didn't upload all of the files?

i am afraid that the buttons dont show up, i have checked the folder several times and this is what is in them:

from extracted folder ArticlesManager_1.57_6:

Docs

oscommerce_2.3

oscommerce_other

article_manager_update_configure.php

article_manager_V_1.57.sql

readme.txt

as per instructions in read me file, used oscommerce_other folder as i am using OsCommerce-2.2rc2a

in oscommerce_other folder

catalog

NewFiles

readme.txt

uploaded all of NewFile folder which had the following files

admin

includes

boxes

>articles.php

functions

>articles.php

>version_checker.php

languages

english

images

>article_manager_blog_comments.php

>article_reviews.php

>articles.php

>articles_config.php

>artices_xsell.php

>authors.php

>version_checker.php

modules

>articles_pseudo.php

>article_manager_blog_comments.php

>article_reviews.php

>articles.php

>articles_config.php

>artices_xsell.php

>authors.php

images

article_manager_uploads

>empty folder

includes

boxes

>articles.php

>authors.php

functions

>articles.php

languages

english

images

buttons

>button_submit.gif

>button_print_article.gif

>article_blog.php

>article_info.php

>article_manager_search_result.php

>article_reviews.php

>article_reviews_info.php

>article_reviews_write.php

>article_rss.php

>articles.php

>articles_new.php

>article_sumit.php

>article_topics.php

modules

>article_listing.php

>articles_pxsell.php

>articles_upcoming.php

>articles_xsell.php

>article_blog.php

>article_info.php

>article_manager_search_result.php

>article_popup_print.php

>article_reviews.php

>article_reviews_info.php

>article_reviews_write.php

>article_rss.php

>articles.php

>articles_new.php

>article_sumit.php

>article_topics.php

The catalog folder was installed using 'winmerge' to compare the files, these files were in the folder.

catalog

admin

includes

languages

>english.php

>application_top_MS2.php

>application_top_RC2.php

>column_left.php

>database_tables.php

>filenames.php

includes

languages

english

>tell_a_friend.php

>english.php

>application_top_MS2.php

>application_top_RC2.php

>column_left.php

>database_tables.php

>filenames.php

>product_info.php

>redirect.php

>tell_a_friend.php

I have checked several times and i think i have compared all of these files and uploaded them. As i said, this is on a fresh install

of oscommerce, so there are no other contributions installed except for header tags seo of course.

This is on a home server so at the moment i can not provide a link.

I am hoping that it is something very simple that i have overlooked.

Thanks for all your help

i am afraid that the buttons dont show up, i have checked the folder several times and this is what is in them:

from extracted folder ArticlesManager_1.57_6:

I have checked several times and i think i have compared all of these files and uploaded them. As i said, this is on a fresh install

of oscommerce, so there are no other contributions installed except for header tags seo of course.

If the page is displaying, I can't think of any way for the buttons not too. But instead of trying to install it per the instructions, since it is a new shop, all you need do is upload the files in the package. The changes have already been made in those. Be sure to backup first, of course.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

If the page is displaying, I can't think of any way for the buttons not too. But instead of trying to install it per the instructions, since it is a new shop, all you need do is upload the files in the package. The changes have already been made in those. Be sure to backup first, of course.

Thanks, i will have another go, but what i am finding, i install header tags seo first, just by coping the files to the new shop folder, then try the the same with article manager , but some of the files are different to the ones installed, so i am doing a file comparison on them and them updating the files.

will let you know how i get on. I think that i am makeing a very simple mistake but just cannot see it.

Thanks again

i am afraid i have to admit defeat, i just do not know enough php programming to locate any problems.

Just to let you know, i have boiled it down to the articles.php file in admin folder of the new files.

The page stops loading after it displays the title header / banner, the section at the top of the actual

page containing the following:

"Articles Manager V 1.57_6 title by Jack_mcs from oscommerce-solution.com"

and the search box.

It will not go any further and does not display the footer.

Thanks for you help anyway, it was an idea i was working on but will try something else.

Hi Jack,

I have installed 1.57_6 (and Header Tags SEO 3.2.5)and all seems to have gone well in terms of not getting any errors, however I do think I may have overlooked some things. I have made a test author/article but do not see anything on my sites index page that would indicate that articles exists. Am I correct in thinking there should be an infobox or some other form of linkage? I CAN get to the test article by going directly to www.mysite/articles.php.

Also, on the test article I created, I enabled blogging but I don't see an obvious place or link to leave a comment (with a signed-in user) on the article itself. In the Topics/Articles section of the admin, where you select the individual article, the little green light is on to indicate that blogging is allowed on the article...however when I edit the article, the blog selector is reverted back to 'no'. If I go to to www.mysite/article_blog.php i get the message 'Sorry, but the article you requested is not available in this site.'

I'm sure these are probably some small mistakes I made..was just wondering i you can give me a heads up on which files to look at...

thanks!

Hi Jack,

I have installed 1.57_6 (and Header Tags SEO 3.2.5)and all seems to have gone well in terms of not getting any errors, however I do think I may have overlooked some things. I have made a test author/article but do not see anything on my sites index page that would indicate that articles exists. Am I correct in thinking there should be an infobox or some other form of linkage? I CAN get to the test article by going directly to www.mysite/articles.php.

Also, on the test article I created, I enabled blogging but I don't see an obvious place or link to leave a comment (with a signed-in user) on the article itself. In the Topics/Articles section of the admin, where you select the individual article, the little green light is on to indicate that blogging is allowed on the article...however when I edit the article, the blog selector is reverted back to 'no'. If I go to to www.mysite/article_blog.php i get the message 'Sorry, but the article you requested is not available in this site.'

For the infoboxes to appear on the site, you have to either install the code for them in one of the column files or install them in admin, depending upon which oscommerce version you are using. You also have to enable them in the article manger settings. If both of those are done, then the boxes should show.

There's not an option in admin to add a comment to the blog. You have to do it from the shop side. I thought of adding that but ran out of time so it will be in the next version.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

For the infoboxes to appear on the site, you have to either install the code for them in one of the column files or install them in admin, depending upon which oscommerce version you are using. You also have to enable them in the article manger settings. If both of those are done, then the boxes should show.

There's not an option in admin to add a comment to the blog. You have to do it from the shop side. I thought of adding that but ran out of time so it will be in the next version.

Thanks for the quick reply. Sorry, I'm running osc 2.3.1. I think I'm going to have to add them in manually as I don't see anything under modules/boxes in the admin...no biggie, I'm going to have to play around with the boxes anyway.

On the blogging, yea, I was referring to the catalog side...I don't see anything underneath the article except 'Write Review, Review, and Print'. Reviews work well :thumbsup:

Thanks

Johan

i am afraid i have to admit defeat, i just do not know enough php programming to locate any problems.

Just to let you know, i have boiled it down to the articles.php file in admin folder of the new files.

The page stops loading after it displays the title header / banner, the section at the top of the actual

page containing the following:

"Articles Manager V 1.57_6 title by Jack_mcs from oscommerce-solution.com"

and the search box.

It will not go any further and does not display the footer.

Thanks for you help anyway, it was an idea i was working on but will try something else.

Hi Jack,

Could not give up so went through every file from header tags SEO and article manager with winmerge.

did this on every single file needed. I am pleased to say i have finally cracked it, dont know where or

how but it works!

Thanks for your help again.

Thanks for the quick reply. Sorry, I'm running osc 2.3.1. I think I'm going to have to add them in manually as I don't see anything under modules/boxes in the admin...no biggie, I'm going to have to play around with the boxes anyway.

On the blogging, yea, I was referring to the catalog side...I don't see anything underneath the article except 'Write Review, Review, and Print'. Reviews work well :thumbsup:

Perhaps you didn't upload the required files? The boxes should show up as modules to install in admin. Of course, this is the first time this has been switched to 2.3 so maybe there is something wrong or missing with the installation instructions. The contribution does work fine for me here under 2.3 though.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi Jack,

Could not give up so went through every file from header tags SEO and article manager with winmerge.

did this on every single file needed. I am pleased to say i have finally cracked it, dont know where or

how but it works!

Thanks for your help again.

Congratulations on sticking with it and getting it to work. Sometimes that is what it takes.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Perhaps you didn't upload the required files? The boxes should show up as modules to install in admin. Of course, this is the first time this has been switched to 2.3 so maybe there is something wrong or missing with the installation instructions. The contribution does work fine for me here under 2.3 though.

Hi,

Just wanted to follow up. I had a problem in my admin/includes/column_left.php. to make a long story short, I installed header tags after article manager..so I wound up with the same edit twice,

include(DIR_WS_BOXES . 'header_tags_seo.php');

with the one I added before the last

?>

. (the first being around line 24)

As soon as I deleted it, the option to install modules appeared on the top right of the admin, which in turn opened up a whole new world on my index page :D

I haven't figured out the blogging issue yet, but will scan over my edits again and post if I find anything either today or tomorrow.

Thanks

Edited by theoiks