• Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Recover Cart Sales

<snip>

He gets it!

You snip'd my disortation! Hooooooooooooow Daaare You! :D

Also SNIP is not the best word to use in or arround guys. :o :unsure:

Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government! Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!

BTW you are showing a profound side we have not see before. STOP IT! :)

Keep in mind this is how *I* use the tool and the methods I have implemented to govern that use. Met00 may have other ideas in mind when he created it of how the tool should be used, which I would like to hear, since he has tons of good ideas.

You must feel the Force around you! Between you. Me. The tree. The rock. Everywhere!

I never even liked the PS box. I put it in there because it was asked for.

The goal is to provide customer service above that of any other business they have ever bought from (or in this case, not yet bought from).

Physical world...

Greeter: "Hi and welcome to XXXXXX"

Sales Associate: "Hi, is there anything I can do to help you?"

Cashier: "Thank you Mr/Mrs/Ms/Miss/Dr YYYYY. It was a pleasure to serve you and we look forward to doing so again."

Your OSC shop...

Hi, and welcome to XXXX store. We show you logged in as: Guest! As a guest you can browse our store, but to make a purchase you will have to log yourself in. No Account? Please feel free to create an account now, or when you are ready to purchase from us.

Yeah, real personable, eh? (practicing a foriegn language, Canadian, eh?)

Well hold onto your molson and antlers, but the latest news is that being an on-line store means you have to do more to touch the customer (unless you're a Yanque, eh?). It's not like you can offer them Canadian Tire Money, eh?

And now for something completly different...

Seriously, the goal of this tool is to help you recapture customers, not SPAM them with a "special offer". If that's all you want to do, well, the tool will allow it, but that isn't really what I would consider best practices.

It's sort of like "Tickling Fish". Yeah you can drop a net and trawl picking up floatsom and jetsom and all sorts of garbage, but this tool is part of the fine achient art of "tickling fish". Yes it's a harder way to catch a fish, but once you learn it you can survive no matter what the season and without any special tools. [damn, that was a good metaphore]

back to the CCT design... :D

Well... I don't know about anyone else :)

But...

Not only does this contribution rock, so does the commentary between Met00 and Aalst. I don't know when I've been so educated AND laughed so hard.

Thanks guys for all of your hard work;-)

::please note that I did not snip anything:) ::

Khim~

Edited by inetchoices

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup :-)

Hi Guys,

I just wanted to thank you. I tried it today with 100 days back and hoped for positive reaction. I made a first attempt with 7 days back which was positive. In deed I got ONLY POSITIVE or constructive feedback. Some of the customer even were thankful because we cared about them and try to find out why they are not buying.

I will use this tool now only with 10 days back, because that makes more sence.It is a very good solution getting in touch with the customer.

I personally think the text of the email which is send out makes the difference betwween spam and useful information of the user.

BTW: I also like the PS box where you can leave a short message so it can be a little bit more individual for everybody.

Stefan Fritsche

klosterbrauerei.com

Hi - thanks for the fast update to v 1.3.6. I've installed everything as it should and it seemed to be working ok. (this time I made sure my site & admin were running after every change.

But now, when I click on the Recover Carts tool in admin I get this error:

"Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, [email protected] and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/1.3.29 Server at www.emvi-htpc.com Port 80"

Any clues as to how to sort this and enter the nirvana that is more sales via recovered carts and happy customers....?

I am using MS2.

TIA

Steve

I know I've already said how much I like this thing but it just keeps amazing me...

Recover Cart Sales Report v1.3.5 Show for last 10 days

Examined Records:116

Sales:5

Customer

Brunner, Stephanie

Harmon, Amber

Fouts, Nancy

Shehorn, Rebecca

Browne, Joseph

It keeps on getting more sales that without it I would have totally lost...

Awesome contribution guys... simply awesome. :D

Quote "change the page title!!! "Order Confirmation" .....I changed it to "Please Confirm Your Order"

Can you tell me how to change this please?

Quote "Now I hardcoded (read "hacked") this into /catalog/checkout_confirmation.php"

Do I have to cut and paste the paragraph in to any particular place in the checkout_confirmation.php?

Quote ".. and Aalst would most likely would have created a define variable and added it to the /english/ file"

What does this mean?? Do I have to do this? If not don't worry, bu i would like to understand what this means... :-)

Thanks for your help as this seems like an excellent idea.

TIA

Steve

"Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, [email protected] and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

That is what it says it is an internal server error. You need to contact your hosting provider for tech support. This is not caused by a PHP script directly, this is an error from your SERVER. That is why it can tell you the e-mail address of the one to contact about the problem. PHP would have no idea how to provide this information to you.

I would recommend you follow the instructions on the error message, and also follow your hosts normal support procedures.

"change the page title!!! "Order Confirmation" .....I changed it to "Please Confirm Your Order"

Can you tell me how to change this please?

That is off topic, and I know Met00 stated as such in his post. :P

You can check out http://wiki.oscommerce.com for support documentation about how to make changes to your language files, as well as other interesting things you may want to learn about OSC.

We should try to keep post that are not related in some way to the RCS tool out of this topic. If they are not RCS related in some way they should be directed to an appropriate topic, PM the person you wish to ask the question to, or start a new topic.

Just in a little over 2 weeks we have already generated a very long topic (136 posts including this one). It makes it difficult for new comers to keep up if they have to go through all this. Now I am not saying we should drop the humor, Heven (or that other place) forbid, if it is at least remotely related to the RCS tool. :) Just questions about: ?How to do this? or ?how to do that?, which have nothing to do with the tool. Most likely if someone just did a search in the forums they would find the answer, or if they checked out the Wiki Documentation.

This now concludes part one of the Obnoxious Articulation as performed by Aalst the Rude and Short Tempered, to hear more please insert the Eight Track tape labeled part two.

My original comment was just that. A comment stating that one possible reason for abandoned carts was that customers failed to click on the Confirm Button. since it has caused confusion here, and for those who want a simple solution, please see Order Confirmation - lost sales for a quick fix. End of Off Topic.

Please resume On Topic discussion.

Boom... Big butta boom.

"Internal Server Error

That is what it says it is an internal server error. You need to contact your hosting provider for tech support. This is not caused by a PHP script directly, this is an error from your SERVER. That is why it can tell you the e-mail address of the one to contact about the problem. PHP would have no idea how to provide this information to you.

I would recommend you follow the instructions on the error message, and also follow your hosts normal support procedures.

Stop being snippy! Geeze, you can help a guy out with a bit more than being devisive...

Steve needs to know that we care, and that means it's time for a group hug and a rousing round of Kumbyah... and Steve, the problem can most liekly be foind in the latest changes you made to the pieces of code that control the left hand side. You're most likely trying to pass something to the Apache server that is causing it to choke and generate the error. Odds are that there is a typo or something missing or extra somewhere in your link.

The text you got is correct, a quick check of the Apache error log will tell you what the server thought you sent to it, and what it saw, and that should help you figgure out what went wrong.

There, now, isn't that a much nicer way of saying "bugger off and look in the error log" than what you did? Now Steve thinks we are nice helpful people even though you and I basically did the same thing.

On a tool note... all that studying of Canadian didn't help and I still froze my butt off over the weekend when I went out for my nighttime cigar while in South Carolina. I *hate* being in places where you can see your breath before lighting. On the positive side the movie on US Airways on the way back to sunny and warm California was Matchstick Men (a truely horrible Cage vehicle) that was so boring that I actually pulled out the laptop and played with some ideas I have for the report. Based on that I'll be running some tests on it and contacting Aalst with some changes that need to be made to the database and what gets stored so the reports are a bit more useful.

I'm sure you will like that Phatweb. :)

Oh, and inetchoices, you can feel free to <snip> my posts all you want. Being married with 2 kids, it doesn't matter how much you <snip> around me, I just smile and say "Thank you." :D

Stop being snippy! Geeze, you can help a guy out with a bit more than being devisive...

that's what I though, too much snippy on this thread..! :P

Kumbyah

ahem, here we go..."kumbyah my...snip" Oh ok....back to business:

the problem can most likely be foind in the latest changes you made to the pieces of code that control the left hand side. You're most likely trying to pass something to the Apache server that is causing it to choke and generate the error. Odds are that there is a typo or something missing or extra somewhere in your link.

This is all a tad new to me, I will check the changes I made again but I'm sure they are ok. If I needed you to check for me is there a file I can cut n' paste here for you to check spelling (in case I am missing something?)

I have only been running this store for a few months and have neve used php before. I think I am doing ok so far.... (constructive criticism welcome - Emvi Store

Now Steve thinks we are nice helpful people even though you and I basically did the same thing.

I do, I do...THANKS! :D

End of Off Topic.

sorry, my fault. BTW - Canadians get mention on this thread a lot, are they not off topic?

Thanks for your help guys - I am dying to get RCS working....

TIA

Steve

Just to help clarify a tad - I've got the following errors on my sites error log:

"[2003-12-10 00:47:37]: error: file is writable by others: (/home/emvihtpc/public_html/store/admin/recover_cart_sales.php)

[2003-12-10 00:44:26]: error: file is writable by others: (/home/emvihtpc/public_html/store/admin/recover_cart_sales.php)

[2003-12-10 00:20:22]: error: file is writable by others: (/home/emvihtpc/public_html/store/admin/recover_cart_sales.php)

[2003-12-10 00:17:16]: error: file is writable by others: (/home/emvihtpc/public_html/store/admin/recover_cart_sales.php)

[2003-12-10 00:08:00]: error: file is writable by others: (/home/emvihtpc/public_html/store/admin/recover_cart_sales.php)

[2003-12-10 00:05:35]: error: file is writable by others: (/home/emvihtpc/public_html/store/admin/recover_cart_sales.php)

[2003-12-10 00:02:48]: error: file is writable by others: (/home/emvihtpc/public_html/store/admin/recover_cart_sales.php)

"

So would I be correct in saying that I need to change the read and write properties on this file? I will try it anyway and see, will post what happens.

Steve

Ok - so I changed recover_cart_sales.php via chmod from:

Owner - Read/Write

Group - Read

Other - Read

to:

Owner - Read

Group - Read

Other - Read

and when I click on the RCS in my admind/tools I get the error:

"1146 - Table 'emvihtpc_oscommerce.TABLE_SCART' doesn't exist

select * from TABLE_SCART where customers_id = '2'

[TEP STOP]"

and what looks like the beggining of the list after that, just the title "Recover Cart Sales v1.3.6" and the headings Contacted, Customer Name etc.

I know the SCART table exists becuase I impirted the sql file and I can see it there now in phpMyAdmin. I tried dropping scart and then re-insterting it via the provided sql file - same error.

What can I try next?? :angry:

Thanks

Steve

and the last post from me (at least for the next 5 mins)

In the readme it says:

" Provided files:

/catalog/admin/recover_cart_sales.php

/catalog/admin/stats_recover_cart_sales.php

/catalog/admin/languages/English/langrecover_cart_sales.php

/catalog/admin/languages/English/stats_recover_cart_sales.php"

When its not langrecover_cart_sales.php but just recover_cart_sales.php - is this just a typo in the readme?

Sorry - I will go now...

Steve

ok - solved the problem. I had the "define('TABLE_SCART', 'scart');" in my database_tables.php at the bottom of the list, so I moved it so it was in alphabetical order and it works...!!! Yipee.

For future reference, when contribution instructions say add so and so to this or that file, is there a general rule as to where to add them. For small files like database_tables.php it's easy to see where to add things (eventuallY!), but for larger files like english.php does it really matter where you add things?

Thanks for all your help guys, this seems a great tool. now I can play with it! B)

Cheers

Steve

Edited by Biffa001

Hi Everybody, indeed a great contribution.

However, for some reason the generated E-mail arrives at the recipient (buyer) as a one paragraph text E-mail... I noticed the "/n" which I take is suppose to intoduce the line-breaks, but is not happening. Also, how would I "generate" a HTML response to my clients ?

Hope to have a response soon ...

Once again, thanx for the great work.

From all the things I lost, I miss my mind the most - Ozzy Ozborne

I try this add on but i have a problem.

When the mail is sending, i receive always an english message and not a french message. I don't know why all my mail are in english and not in the french if my administration is in french ?

Could you help me ?

Thanks

Regards
-----------------------------------------
Loïc

Contact me by skype for business
Contact me @gyakutsuki for an answer on the forum

I try this add on but i have a problem.

When the mail is sending, i receive always an english message and not a french message. I don't know why all my mail are in english and not in the french if my administration is in french ?

Could you help me ?

Thanks

Regards
-----------------------------------------
Loïc

Contact me by skype for business
Contact me @gyakutsuki for an answer on the forum

However, for some reason the generated E-mail arrives at the recipient (buyer) as a one paragraph text E-mail... I noticed the "/n" which I take is suppose to intoduce the line-breaks, but is not happening. Also, how would I "generate" a HTML response to my clients ?

I have the same problem. When I use a web-based email client everything is ok, but when I download the message with Outlook, it doesn't recognize the line breaks. Maybe this has something to do with different linefeeds characters used in Unix/Windows?

The contribution comes with support for 4 languages at this time: english, spanish, german and polish. If you want to have e-mails sent in french, you simply have to modify the language files: recover_cart_sales.php and stats_recover_cart_sales.php. You should find these files in admin/includes/languages/french folder. The e-mail text is in the first file. If, after applying modifications, you get a parse error, it means that you messed up with the ' or . "\n\n" . chars.

If you get through it, please post new language files to the forum, so that they can be included in the next releases of this contribution.

For future reference, when contribution instructions say add so and so to this or that file, is there a general rule as to where to add them. For small files like database_tables.php it's easy to see where to add things (eventuallY!), but for larger files like english.php does it really matter where you add things?

Formally, it makes no difference where in a file you add definitions, like filenames or table names as far as the whole file is loaded before the sript "aks" for that particular definiton. However, the convention is to group similar things together (e.g. BOX_HEADING_*) and make them appear in alphabetical order.

It is then much faster to find bugs that you have just made in a live shop, when you had been too lazy to backup :)

Update...

1) I am working on redoing reports. There are a few changes that I want to make to the cart recovery tool on what gets stored in the database so the reports are actually valuable.

2) CCT (Customer Cleanup Tool) has moved up on my priority list as an initial run showed that 30% of my customers had never actually purchased from me.

3) In the first 16 days of the month my store has processed more than it did in my best month this year... :o I have been told that will end shortly and then I go into a three-four month slowdown :( . This will allow me to rehost do a version upgrade to MS2 and do a great deal of cleanup, as well as complete reports and CCT and three other tools I have been working on for the back end so I can get them released to the community. :D B)

Please bear with me this month, I'm-a-workin-on-it... I-a-promise.