• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Need guidance in choosing version

charles

Can someone help me with choosing a version.

Last March I was working with a 2.2 CVS daily snapshot with excellent success but I lost my hard drive and weeks of developement work. Not being able to afford a new drive right away and entering the summer season, I was forced to immerse myself in an impossible work schedule so was unable to start over at that time. Because I kept copies on another drive I have recovered all of my files but, of course, need to reinstall Apache, PHP, MYSQL etc. to get started again. since I now have a new drive.

Here is my quandry. Should I stick with the older OSC version that contains the modifications, or get a newer version and copy the modifications over. If going with one of the newer versions, should I get the new CVS version or go with the newest milestone version. I would like to think that my changes to the old 2.2 version would effectively function in the newer versions?

Any suggestions as to my best course of action would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Charles

We stand in ignorance only for questions not asked. Plug up the leaks in your knowledge base and open up a flood of understanding.

Harald has suggested that people avoid the latest CVS (except for testing purposes), as it is currently in mid change. However, if your store is complete, you might want to throw it up as is and *then* start looking at what you might have to do to update under the system that is currently in development.

It will be a lot easier to add to the current system than an older system. Particularly if it was between Milestones (some changes made; others not). Also, contributions are scheduled to be included with (or immediately after) the Milestone 4 release.

Hth,

Matt

Well. the store was never quite completed. I was in the middle of writing an involved modification of existing code dealing with accomodating complicated pricing schemes which take into account multiple choices for multiple variables for any given product so that one would not have to enter all permutaions individually for each product.

For example: a lumber company sells pine lumber but offers 3 different grades of pine in 6 different lengths (but not all lengths apply to all grades) and 4 different quantities reflecting different $/ft depending on volume purchase. As the software was written this would involve making a max of 72 (3x6x4) entries for one product, pine. The mod would reduce that to 13 (3+6+4) entries for a savings of over 80% in inventory management time, whether entering data for the first time or effecting price changes.

So, since it was a serious mod but unfinished (albeit close, I think) it may be more worthwhile to gear it toward the current milestone, since cosmetic changes will always be basically the same for any version. With luck and a program like Compare It!, it may be worth it to upgrade while I refamiliarize myself with the code anyway (it's been 7 months). That is... unless the nature of the MS2 changes affected the files I was modifying.

Charles

We stand in ignorance only for questions not asked. Plug up the leaks in your knowledge base and open up a flood of understanding.

Archived