• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Need help with HeaderTagsController

Jack_mcs

From what I have been able to gather, the contribution Header Tag Controller is the preferred method for adding meta tags to a site so I am attempting to install it. The first item in the instructions is:

TABLE CHANGES:

Add the following new fields to products_description table. NOTE: The lengths can be anything you perfer to use.

products_head_title_tag varchar 50

products_head_desc_tag longtext 300

products_head_keywords_tag longtext 300

I'm guessing that means that I need to make changes to the database? I looked at the db using phpmyadmin. There is a products_description entry. I click on that but then have no idea what to do next. Would someone please explain to me what I need to do?

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

When you click on table "products_descriptions" it will show the structure of that table. There will be a text box below the table structure to add new fields at the end of table. fill in value 3 and then you can add the fields as per instructions.

Thank you for the quick reply. I tried what you said and got the results below. When I added the items there were three more fields than the three mentioned in the instructions. They are Attributs, Null and Default? Am I supposed to leave the other three blank? I tried setting the null field to null, it defaults to non-null, but got the same result. The last line says access denied. At some point I had added a line to categories for some other contribution I never used. So I went back to it now and deleted that entry just to make sure that I did have access and was allowed to delete it, so I'm not sure what the access denied means.

ALTER TABLE `products_description`

ADD `products_head_title_tag` VARCHAR( 50 ) NOT NULL ,

ADD `products_head_desc_tag ` LONGTEXT NOT NULL ,

ADD `products_head_keywords_tag` LONGTEXT NOT NULL

MySQL said:

Access denied

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Recommended SEO Addons

You may be allowed to add/edit/delete the values in a table, but not given access to edit the database structure.

Have you deleted a field or field values from table categories?

I'm not sure how to answer that. What I did was go into the categories table and select browse. Then I went to the last item added. On the left side there is an edit and delete button. I selected delete and it did so.

Support Links:

All of My Addons

Recommended SEO Addons

I checked with my host and they didn't have phpmyadmin setup to allow altering like you said. They changed it and I entered in the items in the instructions.

I followed the rest of the instructions but it doesn't seem to be working still. I ran my site through an online checker that lists, among other things, the title and it can't find it. In the instructions where it says to change the title tag with

Changes in all files in /catalog containing: <title><?php echo TITLE; ?></title>

It says that there are about 35 files to change. I searched them all and the only one in includes that has that string is index.php. Am I misunderstanding the instructions? What other files do I change?

Support Links:

All of My Addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Have you installed any other meta tag contribution?

You may also seach for the following string:

<title><?php echo TITLE ?></title>

The above string is without ; sign after TITLE.

No, this is the first one I tried. I tried reducing the search to just "echo TITLE" to give it a better chance of finding something but it still only shows up in one file. There are only 15 files total in the includes directory. Can you give me the specific names of some of the files you changed? Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place somehow. I'm assuming the files that need to be changed are files common to a standard installation? I also checked in admin/includes. The readme doesn't say which includes to use but I assumed catalog/includes. In any event, I didn't find any matches there either. :(

Jack

Support Links:

All of My Addons

Recommended SEO Addons

The files in admin do not need to be changed. All the files in your catalog folder (folder where your shop is located) needs to be searched for ..... account.php, create_account.php, checkout_shipping.php,......product_info.php, ...... logoff.php.

Try making your search insensitive.

Have you installed osCommerce through your domain control panel (cPanel)?

Ok, got it sorted out. The instructions say to change the files in catalog/ and somehow I got that twisted around to mean change catalog/includes/. :( So, I went ahead and made all of the changes and they are indeed there when I view source online. Thank you very much for your help. I would have been here next year still trying to get this to work. :)

Now, after all of this, I am wondering if it is needed? I use my catalog page as my home page so in my index file on my host, I have a line redirecting broswers to the catalog. If I don't put meta-tags in that index page, the search engines don't see any of the tags. If I do include tags there, then they report what is on that page, not what I have set up with Header Tags Controller. Where does all of this added by Header Tags Controller come into play?

Jack

Support Links:

All of My Addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Archived