• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Problems With Paying By Cheque

Hi, I am having problems with taking cheque/postal orders on my store. When the user gets to the confirmation stage and clicks the continue button the following error occurs:

1054 - Unknown column 'comments' in 'field list'

The url of this page was:

/catalog/checkout_process.php

Any help would be appriciated since I have lost at least two customers due to this problem.

Regards

-Barry

I have now discovered that this happens with all payment methods once they get to the final stage. Please could anyone give me any suggestions as this is a major problem and I don't want to have to close my store down due to the fact I cannot fix this error.

Again any help would be extremely appriciated.

Regards

-Barry

It sounds like one of your mods or your 'take cheques' module is messed up in some way..

The 'unknown column' seems to refer to your store asking the database for a field it doesn't contain - have you run all necessary SQL over your db for any mods you've added?

Can't help more without more detailed info.

I have no added any aditional mods. The store was set up by a friend who said they just installed the default set of items.

He has since tried reinstalling and still with the same problem, however I don't know much about php/mySQL so I have no idea what the error message says. Under the error message there is the customers details all one after another, kind of like this:

1054 - Unknown column 'comments' in 'field list'

insert into orders (customers_id, customers_name, customers_company, customers_street_address, customers_suburb, customers_city, customers_postcode, customers_state, customers_country, customers_telephone, customers_email_address, customers_address_format_id, delivery_name, delivery_company, delivery_street_address, delivery_suburb, delivery_city, delivery_postcode, delivery_state, delivery_country, delivery_address_format_id, billing_name, billing_company, billing_street_address, billing_suburb, billing_city, billing_postcode, billing_state, billing_country, billing_address_format_id, payment_method, cc_type, cc_owner, cc_number, cc_expires, date_purchased, orders_status, comments, currency, currency_value) values ('2', 'CUSTOMER NAME', '', 'ADDRESS 1', '', 'ADDRESS 2', 'POST/ZIP CODE', 'COUNTY/STATE', '`COUNTRY', 'TELEPHONE NUMBER', 'EMAIL ADDRESS', '1', 'CUSTOMER NAME', '', 'ADDRESS 1, '', 'ADDRESS 2', 'POSTAL/ZIP CODE', 'COUNTY/STATE', 'COUNTRY', '1', 'CUSTOMER NAME', '', 'ADDRESS 1, '', 'ADDRESS 2', 'POSTAL/ZIP CODE', 'COUNTY/STATE', 'COUNTRY', '1', 'Check/Money Order', '', '', '', '', now(), '1', '', 'GBP', '1.00000000')

[TEP STOP]

I have replaced what the customers details would be with "CUSTOMER NAME" and so forth, but thats the complete error on the page (the error is the only thing on the page).

No, I don't know what phpmyadmin is, its not the normal admin section where I add items etc. is it?

Sorry about being nieve about this but I haven't had much experience with php.

Thanks for the reply.

Regards

-Barry

Look in the control panel your host provides, the place where you have links to things like file manager, error logs, etc. You probably have a link somewhere that says "database management", "databases", or even a direct link to phpmyadmin. If you have access to mysql and php, then most likely you have phpmyadmin.

When you find the link to it, click it. You will see a a screen with two frames. Look at the smaller frame on the left. If you only have one database set up, all tables within that db will be listed in that left-side frame. If you have more than one, you'll see a drop-down list. If that's the case, select the oscommerce db, usually named something like "user_osc".

You should see a list of items (on the left), beginning with address_book (maybe not the very first one), the list also contains "products", "categories", "products_description", "orders" so if you see those you know you're in the right place.

Click on "orders" (click the name, not the little icon beside it) and a list of the table fields will show in the main frame. Clicking on the icon will display the entire contents of the table. Is "comments" one of the fields?

In my admin area for the host, I have nothing about phpmyadmin, the only reference to databases are mySQL database.

Any help really appriciated as I am missing out on orders.

Regards and Best Festive Wishes

-Barry

Email your host, and ask them if 'phpmyadmin' comes with your control panel.

Sometimes it's hidden pretty well. It might be in a section call "Database Management" or something.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

Archived