• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Master Products - MS2

I was always told "measure twice and cut once" so please consider this question as my way of measuring twice.

I'm relatively new to OSC, not to script installation or customization. Another developer asked me to help on a project, in which a person has a product catalog from hell. After looking at this list of products, I can see why help is needed.

Is this the contribution I want, or is there something else that might work better?

Thanks for your guidance,

Schelly

To get a model number you would have to write in something to combine elements from each option. QTPro alongside AJAX Attribute Manager might also be appropriate for your needs, though again the model number is an issue. With QTPro, in theory it should be possible to assign a number to the option combination in the same way as the stock amount is but I haven't tried it! Another thought might be one of the PC creator type contributions?

Edited by trogette

Hi there,

I've a similar problem to paulchen's - but I want it all ;-)

I try to attach a "buy now" button to each slave and I want the selection box to be displayed.

It should look like this:

Master

slave 1 price select qty [___] Buy Now Button

slave 2 price select qty [___] Buy Now Button

slave 3 price select qty [___] Buy Now Button

I've managed to display either the selection box OR the Buy now button, but not both at the same time.

Maybe anyone could help?

Many thanks and best regards,

Aeryn

Hi, new to this so please bear with my long explanation.

I'm setting up to sell garments with designs on them. At this point, 3 designs, and 3 types of shirts, where each design will be available on each shirt type. So the shopper will choose the design (which is the product), and the attributes to choose will be ShirtType, Color, and Size. To save myself some headache with attributes, I've installed Attributes_Sets_Plus.

Now, however, I have a new problem, and Master Products *may* be the answer.

Each ShirtType has different colors, which negates the advantage of using Attributes_Sets_Plus since it would force me to make "Design-ShirtType" combinations as my products, rather than just the Design itself. So, I imagine that with Master Products, I would set up my 3 Designs as products, and then set up the 3 ShirtTypes as products, and the ShirtType products would have Attribute Sets assigned to them (Size, of course, and then their respective Color attribute sets). The ShirtTypes and their attributes is where all the pricing info is assigned. Then, I "slave" the ShirtTypes to each of the Designs.

Is that correct?

My concern is that Master Products will make it appear to the shopper that if they buy the Design, then they also get the Shirt! And that's simply not the case. I would need the slave products to still act like Attributes of the master products. The shopper clicks the design, and then selects ShirtType from a pulldown. The ShirtType selection then modifies the color options available in the Color pulldown. (The Size pulldown would remain unaffected.) Can Master Products be set up to do what I describe?

Thanks!

William

I've installed this contrib and uninstalled it 3 times now, all due to a frustrating bug.

In admin->catalogue-> you have the option to a)Add a Category b)Add a Master c)Add a Product

THIS IS VERY MISLEADING IMO!

Add a Product takes you to what looks like a standard "add a product" form...however, don't be fooled because if you choose to add the product, your "Buy Now" button will not function in the product listing page...it will take to the dreaded "empty cart" scenario (which is the hell I've been in now for over a week).

I realized today that to add a non-master, non-slave, ordinary product with this contrib, you have to click 'Add a Master', then uncheck the box for "Add as Master", then insert, then edit then add a weight as there is no weight field on the "Add a Master" form.

[rant]

This is a MAJOR BUG! :angry: If I were better with PHP I would have fixed it and uploaded it to the contrib section, I hope someone else can jump on this as it has cost me time and money!

[/rant]

Installed Modules:

Dynamenu, InfoBox Admin, Master Products v.1.2, Header Tags Controller, Multiple Products Manager, Quick Edit in Admin, Secure Admin, Ultimate SEO URL's, EZ Secure Order, Easy Populate v.2.76d MS2, AuthorizeNet_AIM, ChangeFinal Breadcrumb Title, FedEx Labels, Fedex Direct 2.06, How Did you Hear 1.5, Login a la Amazon, UPS XML 1.2.4, USPS Labels, USPS Methods API MS2

So I've narrowed down the problem further to a database write error on the case 'new_product', not sure where though...

For whatever reason it is not inserting anything into column 'products_master'. This is a requirement, even for Master products (which receive a 0 in that column). To test this, I dug into my database, dropped a 0 into the products_master column for a product I created, and it WORKED!

Now, it would be great if someone could rewrite this function so I don't have to go in and do this manually all the time! : )

I've installed this contrib and uninstalled it 3 times now, all due to a frustrating bug.

In admin->catalogue-> you have the option to a)Add a Category b)Add a Master c)Add a Product

THIS IS VERY MISLEADING IMO!

Add a Product takes you to what looks like a standard "add a product" form...however, don't be fooled because if you choose to add the product, your "Buy Now" button will not function in the product listing page...it will take to the dreaded "empty cart" scenario (which is the hell I've been in now for over a week).

I realized today that to add a non-master, non-slave, ordinary product with this contrib, you have to click 'Add a Master', then uncheck the box for "Add as Master", then insert, then edit then add a weight as there is no weight field on the "Add a Master" form.

[rant]

This is a MAJOR BUG! :angry: If I were better with PHP I would have fixed it and uploaded it to the contrib section, I hope someone else can jump on this as it has cost me time and money!

[/rant]

Installed Modules:

Dynamenu, InfoBox Admin, Master Products v.1.2, Header Tags Controller, Multiple Products Manager, Quick Edit in Admin, Secure Admin, Ultimate SEO URL's, EZ Secure Order, Easy Populate v.2.76d MS2, AuthorizeNet_AIM, ChangeFinal Breadcrumb Title, FedEx Labels, Fedex Direct 2.06, How Did you Hear 1.5, Login a la Amazon, UPS XML 1.2.4, USPS Labels, USPS Methods API MS2

I've spent a lot of time tackling this issue of combining these two mods [HTC & MP], in the end its a working product. If anyone is still interested in seeing my modified categories.php file, PM me and I'll email it to you (I'd post it but it exceeds the max character limit for this forum).

Installed Modules:

I got both to appear in my shop, its not perfect though. Here's my code for master_listing.php (around line 183) replaces the default call for the quantity box:

$lc_text = tep_draw_input_field('Qty_ProdId_' . $listing['products_id'], '1', 'size="4"');
$lc_text .= ' ' . tep_draw_hidden_field('products_id', $listing['products_id']) . tep_image_submit('button_buy_now.gif', IMAGE_BUTTON_BUY_NOW);

Only problem with this is that default for the qty box is 1 for all slave products, and when you hit the "Buy Now" button, it adds qty 1 for every slave on the page. I suppose the workaround here might be to change the above code to:

$lc_text = tep_draw_input_field('Qty_ProdId_' . $listing['products_id'], '0', 'size="4"');
$lc_text .= ' ' . tep_draw_hidden_field('products_id', $listing['products_id']) . tep_image_submit('button_buy_now.gif', IMAGE_BUTTON_BUY_NOW);

So that the default for slave product qty is 0, then the customer adds desired qty for product they want to buy. Anyway, it works but its not too elegant...maybe somebody can clean it up a bit as I'm not great with PHP yet.

Hi there,

I've a similar problem to paulchen's - but I want it all ;-)

I try to attach a "buy now" button to each slave and I want the selection box to be displayed.

It should look like this:

Master

slave 1 price select qty [___] Buy Now Button

slave 2 price select qty [___] Buy Now Button

slave 3 price select qty [___] Buy Now Button

I've managed to display either the selection box OR the Buy now button, but not both at the same time.

Maybe anyone could help?

Many thanks and best regards,

Aeryn

Installed Modules:

Only problem with this is that default for the qty box is 1 for all slave products, and when you hit the "Buy Now" button, it adds qty 1 for every slave on the page. I suppose the workaround here might be to change the above code to:

$lc_text = tep_draw_input_field('Qty_ProdId_' . $listing['products_id'], '0', 'size="4"');

So that the default for slave product qty is 0, then the customer adds desired qty for product they want to buy. Anyway, it works but its not too elegant...maybe somebody can clean it up a bit as I'm not great with PHP yet.

That would work, as well as just leaving it blank - on mine I have $listing['products_id'],'','size="4" - I just didn't put anything in between the ' ' marks ;)

~Tracy

Has anyone worked with Master Products and the google/froogle feed contribution by Calvin K? I'd like to add the Master Product name and description to the Slave name and description for google base purposes. There doesn't seem to be a support thread for the feeder contribution though, and I can't see how the feeder extracts the sql data and creates the text-file entries. Any ideas?

Master Products - MS2 v1. - Johnson

Copyright © 2003 Suomedia - Dynamic Content Management

osCommerce, Open Source E-Commerce Solutions

http://www.oscommerce.com

Copyright © 2003 osCommerce

Released under the GNU General Public License

Special thanks to Tom Wojcik

[email protected]

http://www.xpertcomp.com

Credits to all those who have contributed their support and code snippets on the support thread.

Please backup your files and database!

This is a minor update to show how I have been using Master Products.

This release allows the checkout of out of stock items.

Install the files - changes are marked in the files for those who wish to copy and paste.

Run the master.sql file on your database.

Master Products allows you to assign a product as a 'master', and other

products as slaves (or not at all) - eg. if there is a product range with

individual items that each may be purchased separately. These all display listed

below the master product in product_info with a quantity select for each

item, and a single add to cart button

Whether the slaves show in the main product listing is selectable on the product edit page in admin. Master Products and 'shown' Slave Products link to product info from product_listing and new_products, rather than directly to the cart (buy now) - zero dollar amounts for Master Products do not display.

Slave product listing display is selectable in admin>configuration in a similar manner to the product_listing page under the 'Slave Listing" options. A truncated product description (by John Poynton - Description in Product Listing) is also selectable. Product attributes in the slave product listing will be available in the next release.

OK, help me out here. Above is the installation.txt file included with the Master Products module I downloaded today. Can anyone point out the section that explains how to install it?

Really frusterated with the documentation (or lack of) level of OSC and its modules. Can anyone help me out here?

Thanks

Sterling (a.k.a. DailyLunatic)

www.dailylunatic.com (opening soon)

Useful Threads: Basics for Design.

Useful URL's: Knowledge Base, SQL Tutorial,

My Setup: Master Products v1.2, Need help installing Bundled Products v1.4.

I tend to agree that documentation and installation on this widely used contrib is pretty stark. If you don't already have, then go now and get Beyond Compare, or Winmerge...without a file compare util, you will make clerical errors and overlook subtle code differences that can cause hours or days of setbacks. If you're going to do any tweaking in OsC, get a file compare and some basic PHP skills.

Remeber, this stuff is free...so don't be too critical. Most of us have real jobs and are very busy and sometimes don't get around to writing eloquent documentation. Above that we are all human so we tend to make mistakes when making these things. If you feel it is something the contribution needs, sit down and write it out and add to the community instead of whining that someone hasn't already done it all for you.

OK, help me out here. Above is the installation.txt file included with the Master Products module I downloaded today. Can anyone point out the section that explains how to install it?

Really frusterated with the documentation (or lack of) level of OSC and its modules. Can anyone help me out here?

Thanks

Installed Modules:

Thanks

Sure here's the install instructions:

Install the files - changes are marked in the files for those who wish to copy and paste.

Changes are marked in the files that need changing by something like this:

//Master Products BOC

and this

//Master Products EOC

That's it! BOC is begin of code, EOC is end of code. Once you actually do what I said and go get a file compare utility and start comparing your files with the files in the contribution, this will become a lot clearer. Its actually quite simple and straight forward but there is no step1, step2, step3 as yo may be used to. And remember to always backup.

Installed Modules:

That's it! BOC is begin of code, EOC is end of code. Once you actually do what I said and go get a file compare utility and start comparing your files with the files in the contribution, this will become a lot clearer. Its actually quite simple and straight forward but there is no step1, step2, step3 as yo may be used to. And remember to always backup.

OK, let me see if I understand what you are saying. Installation of this module consists of replacing various listed lines of code in approx 23 various OSC files? If so, I see why you were recomending the software.

Are most modules like this or is this one an exception? I feel really uncomfortable digging under the hood like this.

OK, got 'Beyond Compare' and will begin cut and past. However, there is a file, master.sql, that I do not know what to do with.

What does the above instruction mean for me to do and how does one do it?

Thanks

OK, got 'Beyond Compare' and will begin cut and past. However, there is a file, master.sql, that I do not know what to do with.

What does the above instruction mean for me to do and how does one do it?

Thanks

First I'd like to say that I started my first osC project with a very basic understanding of PHP - and I have definately learned quite a bit ;) Whether or not a contribution installation modifies only one or two files or 30+ depends on the functionality of that contribution. Some of the contrib's I have installed were two files, others were definitely many more even than Master Products.

With that said - your file comparison program will become your best friend when modifying a stock osC site.

To update your database with a .sql file, the easiest way I have found, is to go through phpMyAdmin (most host companies provide this as your database access/edit area) - you will want to click on your database and then click either the "SQL" tab or the "Import" tab.

If you choose the "SQL" tab - copy and paste the information from master.sql into the box and click "go".

If you choose the "Import" tab - browse for the master.sql file on your computer and then click "go".

Both options achieve the same result - it runs the SQL Query that is in the master.sql file and causes changes to your database (added fields) that are necessary for Master Products to run correctly.

***ALWAYS BACKUP FIRST!!!***

You can make a database backup by going into your stores Admin, click on "Tools" and then "Database Backup". Choose to backup your database. I normally use the first option (No compression (pure SQL)) which stores the file right there on the server. This way if something goes wrong with the database update you can always "Restore" a previous backup version :)

It is also a very good idea to keep backup copies of the files that you edit to install a contrib. I created a folder named "edited files" - and then inside that folder I create a folder for each contrib. as I am working on installing it. I save my edited files inside there (in their proper places, creating folders as needed - ie... admin, catalog, includes - etc...). That way I have the working site files, the original files that came with the contribution, and my edited files that combine the two, all separate. This makes it easy to revert if need be while editing and testing ;)

Hope that helps :thumbsup:

~Tracy

First I'd like to say that I started my first osC project with a very basic understanding of PHP - and I have definately learned quite a bit ;) Whether or not a contribution installation modifies only one or two files or 30+ depends on the functionality of that contribution. Some of the contrib's I have installed were two files, others were definitely many more even than Master Products.

With that said - your file comparison program will become your best friend when modifying a stock osC site.

To update your database with a .sql file, the easiest way I have found, is to go through phpMyAdmin (most host companies provide this as your database access/edit area) - you will want to click on your database and then click either the "SQL" tab or the "Import" tab.

If you choose the "SQL" tab - copy and paste the information from master.sql into the box and click "go".

If you choose the "Import" tab - browse for the master.sql file on your computer and then click "go".

Both options achieve the same result - it runs the SQL Query that is in the master.sql file and causes changes to your database (added fields) that are necessary for Master Products to run correctly.

***ALWAYS BACKUP FIRST!!!***

You can make a database backup by going into your stores Admin, click on "Tools" and then "Database Backup". Choose to backup your database. I normally use the first option (No compression (pure SQL)) which stores the file right there on the server. This way if something goes wrong with the database update you can always "Restore" a previous backup version :)

It is also a very good idea to keep backup copies of the files that you edit to install a contrib. I created a folder named "edited files" - and then inside that folder I create a folder for each contrib. as I am working on installing it. I save my edited files inside there (in their proper places, creating folders as needed - ie... admin, catalog, includes - etc...). That way I have the working site files, the original files that came with the contribution, and my edited files that combine the two, all separate. This makes it easy to revert if need be while editing and testing ;)

Hope that helps :thumbsup:

I think it does. Thank you, thank you, thank you. :D

So, to recap, the file comparison copy/paste and the master.sql through phpMyAdmin are actually two methods of doing the same thing, not, as stated, two things that need to be done. Which of the two is the more preferred method? I can see benefits to both, ease vs. control.

I will have to digest some of what you are recommending on the backup instructions. I have been copying the store dir to my local drive via FTP (ascii), but what you suggest sounds like a bit more than that, and a topic for another thread.

Thank you again,

Just a quick question (I think) :blush:

I'm adding Hide Products / Categories for SPPC and I want to verify what Master Product files I need to edit as well. The list of modified files for the contrib. is:

catalog/admin/includes/languages/english/categories.php

catalog/admin/categories.php

catalog/index.php

catalog/includes/functions/general.php

catalog/includes/application_top.php

catalog/includes/classes/shopping_cart.php

catalog/includes/boxes/categories.php

catalog/includes/boxes/whats_new.php

catalog/includes/boxes/best_seller.php

catalog/includes/boxes/reviews.php

catalog/includes/modules/new_products.php

catalog/includes/modules/also_purchased_products.php

catalog/products_new.php

catalog/advanced_search_result.php

catalog/product_info.php

catalog/product_reviews.php

catalog/product_reviews_info.php

catalog/product_reviews_write.php

catalog/reviews.php

catalog/includes/column_right.php

So far I have modified the master_products.php and master_listing.php files - are those the only two I need to edit?

Thanks! :)

~Tracy

I think it does. Thank you, thank you, thank you. :D

So, to recap, the file comparison copy/paste and the master.sql through phpMyAdmin are actually two methods of doing the same thing, not, as stated, two things that need to be done. Which of the two is the more preferred method? I can see benefits to both, ease vs. control.

I will have to digest some of what you are recommending on the backup instructions. I have been copying the store dir to my local drive via FTP (ascii), but what you suggest sounds like a bit more than that, and a topic for another thread.

Thank you again,

There are two parts to installing this contrib - the database SQL file is one part. The file comparison is a separate part. You do need to do both.

Here is what is happening:

The master.sql file (which you us phpMyAdmin to run) is going to add some needed fields to your database.

The other files (which you compare and then copy/paste the code differences into your files) are going to allow your admin section and your public store front section to use those new fields in the database in order to change how you list your products.

This is why I say to backup BOTH the database (through admin) and the php files you are editing. You do need to do both in order to setup the contribution and have it work properly ;)

~Tracy

Just a quick question (I think) :blush:

I'm adding Hide Products / Categories for SPPC and I want to verify what Master Product files I need to edit as well. The list of modified files for the contrib. is:

catalog/admin/includes/languages/english/categories.php

catalog/admin/categories.php

catalog/index.php

catalog/includes/functions/general.php

catalog/includes/application_top.php

catalog/includes/classes/shopping_cart.php

catalog/includes/boxes/categories.php

catalog/includes/boxes/whats_new.php

catalog/includes/boxes/best_seller.php

catalog/includes/boxes/reviews.php

catalog/includes/modules/new_products.php

catalog/includes/modules/also_purchased_products.php

catalog/products_new.php

catalog/advanced_search_result.php

catalog/product_info.php

catalog/product_reviews.php

catalog/product_reviews_info.php

catalog/product_reviews_write.php

catalog/reviews.php

catalog/includes/column_right.php

So far I have modified the master_products.php and master_listing.php files - are those the only two I need to edit?

Thanks! :)

Along this same lines - would there happen to be any code anywhere in the Master Products files that affects how the Checkout button works?

I ask because I'm having a very strange problem and I can't seem to pinpoint where things are going wrong. I have installed Hide Products and Categories from Customer Groups for SPPC and all seems to be functioning - except for the Checkout button. If I log into my site as a Retail customer I am able to go through checkout as I should. However, if I log in as a Wholesale customer I cannot get past the shopping_cart.php page. Everytime I click on "Checkout" it just reloads the cart :huh:

~Tracy

Along this same lines - would there happen to be any code anywhere in the Master Products files that affects how the Checkout button works?

I ask because I'm having a very strange problem and I can't seem to pinpoint where things are going wrong. I have installed Hide Products and Categories from Customer Groups for SPPC and all seems to be functioning - except for the Checkout button. If I log into my site as a Retail customer I am able to go through checkout as I should. However, if I log in as a Wholesale customer I cannot get past the shopping_cart.php page. Everytime I click on "Checkout" it just reloads the cart :huh:

Ok - we found the fix to that issue - but I would still appreciate it if someone could let me know if there are any other Master Product specific files that I should be editing based on the list of files to modify for the Hide Products and Categories from Customer Groups for SPPC list (previous post). :)

Thanks!

~Tracy

Hi,Im having some trouble :S I installed the Master Products contrib. but now I get this error on my website:

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare tep_show_category() (previously declared in /includes/header.php:201) in /includes/boxes/categories.php on line 13

please somebody help me! :S

Regards,

Lee.

• 2 weeks later...

I am setting up the 2gether Discount contribution - and now that I finally have it working I need to know how to implement it with Master Products.

Right now - I have a discount set - I go to that products page and of course it's the master page that I get. It lists the slaves with a box to enter quantity and a button to add to cart. But it does not show here that there is a 2gether Discount.

Now - if I add the product to my cart, and then click on the product, the resulting page will show that there is a 2gether discount.

I need to set it so that it shows on the master page under the listing of slaves.

To see what I mean go to:

http://208.97.183.185/fruitful-vine-p-44.h...3f3d73502bd6183

Add the 2oz bottle to your cart - and then click on the item from your cart.

Has anybody gotten these two contributions working together? Any ideas on what / where I need to change things?

Thank you in advance! :)

~Tracy

I am setting up the 2gether Discount contribution - and now that I finally have it working I need to know how to implement it with Master Products.

Right now - I have a discount set - I go to that products page and of course it's the master page that I get. It lists the slaves with a box to enter quantity and a button to add to cart. But it does not show here that there is a 2gether Discount.

Now - if I add the product to my cart, and then click on the product, the resulting page will show that there is a 2gether discount.

I need to set it so that it shows on the master page under the listing of slaves.

To see what I mean go to:

http://208.97.183.185/fruitful-vine-p-44.h...3f3d73502bd6183

Add the 2oz bottle to your cart - and then click on the item from your cart.

Has anybody gotten these two contributions working together? Any ideas on what / where I need to change things?

Thank you in advance! :)

I was looking at my Cross Sell installation and see that it is working because I have the first product (the one that the cross sell is to show on) set by the Master Product - and then the cross sell product is the slave.

I can't do that with the 2gether Discount thought because it has you add both products to the cart at the same time with a "buy now" button. The Master Product is not a purchasable product - only the slaves are.

Any thoughts? I'm at a loss here :blush:

~Tracy