• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

How To? Stop Multiple Logins, Sharing Username/Pwd

In-Overtime

The title says it all.

I have been scouring all over trying to find a script to plugin to Oscommerce that will detect multiple same Identity logins from different IP addresses.

This has been the proverbial needle in a haystack.....

I'll bet iiinetworks knows how!

Admin>Configuration>Sessions

Change Check IP Address to True

May carry risk of someone starting a session, logging out then being blocked when coming in again from different IP address after reconnect etc. - not sure tbh

There is a small danger in that - you may have a router that show/use only 1 IP address on the internet side - however you may have 2 or more different people/computers on the other side trying to access your site.....

OK, I turned on the Sessions in Admin. Didn't stop a dual login.

I have three computers at home networked. I logged on at one computer, and was able to logon at another computer.

Could it be because I at home (showing the same IP address) that I was able to logon at the same time?

This is what I want to prevent - multiple logons with same username.

Could it be because I at home (showing the same IP address) that I was able to logon at the same time?

Yes - IP blocking will only be done against the IP accessing the site through the Internet NOT your local network IP.

Global/Public IP's such as the one assigned to you by your ISP when you access the Internet or the one that directs users (after DNS) to your site/server must all be unique for obvious reasons.

Local/Private IP's such as those on your local network need only to be unique within your own network and are repeated millions of times over across many networks around the world.

You need to test with two seperate Internet connections. If you've got no one that can access the site from a different physical location while you do PM me the same test username/password that you are using and I'll have a go for you :)

Archived