• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

I am crying

Roaming around these forums reading posts to try and understand osc, I feel so out of my depth. I don't understand half of what the posts are about - but I really would love to learn. I am trying to build a shop but I am not very proficiant in php coding. I have placed a help in General but no-one is answering.

Does this site have a dummies guide to setting up, configering and personalising your osc shop, please? :unsure:

/catalog/includes/header.php

find the line that says:

<table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">
 <tr class="header">
   <td valign="middle"><?php echo '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_DEFAULT) . '">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'oscommerce.gif', 'osCommerce') . '</a>'; ?></td>
   <td align="right" valign="bottom"><?php echo '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_ACCOUNT, '', 'SSL') . '">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'header_account.gif', HEADER_TITLE_MY_ACCOUNT) . '</a>  <a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_SHOPPING_CART) . '">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'header_cart.gif', HEADER_TITLE_CART_CONTENTS) . '</a>  <a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_CHECKOUT_SHIPPING, '', 'SSL') . '">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'header_checkout.gif', HEADER_TITLE_CHECKOUT) . '</a>'; ?>  </td>
 </tr>
</table>

this part includes the oscommerce image and the 3 buttons that are on the right in the header (account, shopping cart, and checkout)

first to center it take out the 3 buttons

<td align="right" valign="bottom"><?php echo '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_ACCOUNT, '', 'SSL') . '">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'header_account.gif', HEADER_TITLE_MY_ACCOUNT) . '</a>  <a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_SHOPPING_CART) . '">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'header_cart.gif', HEADER_TITLE_CART_CONTENTS) . '</a>  <a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_CHECKOUT_SHIPPING, '', 'SSL') . '">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'header_checkout.gif', HEADER_TITLE_CHECKOUT) . '</a>'; ?>  </td>

but it looks like you did that already then the code you have left is:

<table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">
 <tr class="header">
   <td valign="middle"><?php echo '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_DEFAULT) . '">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'oscommerce.gif', 'osCommerce') . '</a>'; ?></td>
 </tr>
</table>

and with the above code change

<td valign="middle">

to

<td valign="center">

and that should do it.

sorry i made the post so long i just wanted to show you set by step

No that's ok - I prefer that I understand what it is I am removing and adding then - then I begin to understand! ;)

No it's doesn't like it at all. :(

I knew I wasn't far off but I'm just stumped.

Hi Mel, don't fret, everyone was new, and the learning curve on this is pretty steep. The more you mess around, the more you understand. When I start messing with a file, I like to rename a copy of it Whatever orig.php, that way I can always go back to before i started chaniging things. Once I get things working, I'll get risd of the orig, and start to try to make the next change. I thrashed around for a couple weeks figuring out hoew to get 300 products and 800 attribs, in and now I've worked out a more efficient way to do so. I understand a lot more about what the program is doing at various points, and how I can customize it to suit my needs. I'm not an expert at the whole thing yet, but bit by bit, I'm getting there! You can too! Jeremy

Thanx Jeremy - I know I'll get it one day but I'll get everyone annoyed with my endless questions! :lol:

Take a look at http://gothvamp.co.uk/gothvamp2/index.php shows I'm not a totally hopeless case! After 5 months I have been made a mod on the official UK phpnuke forum just coz I made so many mistakes!

They are even trying to help me with this as I speak! :lol: :lol: :lol:

But the odd things just always happen to me!

I suppose I had better leave it there for tonight now - I'll be back as Arnie says!

Thank you both. :)

It is SO not just you, MoonSpirit.

I spent the night, awake up until 9 am this morning, on just the MOST recent problem that had me in tears.

The TINIEST thing missed? and something that worked before, goes kaplooey.

I asked so many questions, and had to look thru so many pages of code that I was actually dreaming about things not working :)

But, At lesst you have a huge head start over what I had, as I had never even SEEN PHP code before I started on all this :) I had never touched CSS, PHP, SSL or any of the other elements involved with OSC, but I think I did pretty good considering :)

At any rate, some hints to give..

Keep an original set of the docs. That way if you need to check on something, you at least have the start.

Keep a "Working" set. One that you are using to work on and save seperately as you are going, so you dont over-write something that WAS working without your backup.

Keep all the mods you use. That way if something doesnt work out, you can "reverse-Engineer" it back out.

Lastly, make changes one at a time. If something goes and fershnuggles your set-up, at least you know it was THIS change that did it, not one 14 back that you didnt catch. Trial and error becomes your friend, as long as you keep your working copies pristine.

Um, I think thats about it...

I wish you Much Luck, Good Tidings, and Happy Coding!!

One of these days, I will actually understand what I just changed...

But reading the Manual DEFINATELY helps...

Hey Mel,

I hope ya don't feel too silly...I've been working at developing our new site using osCommerce (2.2-CVS) for a little over two months now and reading ths particular forum thread has at last answered the question of centering a header logo...DOH!!

By the way, Marc also has a unbelievably SIMPLE way to center your shop if you're interested:

Dead Easy Center Thingy

Works like a dream...:D

Archived