• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

STS vs BTS

JonoB

I have a fully functional store up and running, which has been customised with quite a few contributions and customs mods.

I am considering deploying Basic Template System or Simple Templete System as a test store, to see what either of these can do. If its looks cool, then I will merge over my live store.

However, I am not sure which one to use!?!? Any suggestions on which is easier or more powerful, etc? I dont want to try both out - too time consuming for someone like me with not enough spare time!

I have had a *brief* look at both of them, and it would appear that STS is a bit easier to use (for someone like me with not much design experience). It also looks easier to merge with an existing shop (pasting code into existing files where necessary), whereas BTS looks more complicated. I could be totally wrong here, so any pointers are much appreciated.

Thanks for your advice.... :blink:

I have used both systems... and I do like STS but it will not parse php.

so I went with BTS. you can see a working example by clicking my www link below. it's in test stage and still being worked on as i write this. but you can get a feel of what BTS can do.

hth

<span style='font-family:Courier'>If you can't fix it Perl it!!!...</span>

Sorry, I'm a bit a of a newbie - what does it mean that it will not parse php and what are the implications of this?

One of the things that attracted me to STS was that I could mod my existing store with it quite easily. It appears that BTS would be a lot more difficult to do in this manner.....please correct me if I am wrong.

well.... with sts you can change the look but not the layout. with BTS you can change the layout of each page. may i suggest that you try both ogf the systems and see for your self. STS has a set of tags. you can use. but again it's standard OSC layout.

parse: lets say you want product1 to show on the middle of your page. BTS you can do this STS you can not do this..

How east would it be to add to my store

I have installed:

Live Support

WYSIWYG HTML Editor 1.7

Around 3 lines of code in the header to centre the shop which will be easy to remove if BTS does this for me

Would any of the above contributions conflict with BTS?

well.... I would if I we're you... do a clean install of ms2 in a different dir and work form there. start adding your mods and building up from there..... let me know if you have any questions

Hi Jello,

I like the layout of your site. I have bts installed but I don't really no where to even start with the layout. Can you give me some starting points. I don't mind digging in, but I would like to know where to start!!

Thanks alot.

Phil

Well.....

to start you need to start over....lol

layout straight HTML page. then you need to call the BTS system in the template. use the calls in main_page.tpl.php you will see what i mean.

then start adding you php includes where you want to parse it. you will need to go into the osc core code and rip out the html calls. start in /classes/boxes then you can can include let's say specials.php any where you want to. Now i wanted a different main page from my product page. I just made a new index.php page and with a different name. I laid all my middle content in that page. if you go to my site you will see to main pages.. index.php and ucancustom.php . I will post more info if you need it

Hi jello1!

I see you are very busy with the BTS :)

to start you need to start over....lol

layout straight HTML page. then you need to call the BTS system in the template. use the calls in main_page.tpl.php  you will see what i mean............................................................................

........................................  index.php and ucancustom.php .  I will post more info if you need it

This all sounds very complicated, and I would like to say that it really depends on what you exactly want to do. It is possible to make a lot of layout changes by just editting "catalog/templates/main_page.tpl.php" and "catalog/templates/box.tpl.php" only. To do that you you only have to know some CSS and HTML and a very little PHP (mainly copy and paste some PHP line if needed will do). I admit that if you want total control, more is needed as jello1 explaind, because osC still mixes a lot of HTML with PHP code.

I just released Basic Template Structure v1-1 ( http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,1263 ), it might help a bit to get started.

Another thing, if you have done a lot of mods and you don't want to do it all over, the BTS might not be the best choice for you, you have to look which files are affected by your mods and the BTS. Some mods will work with the BTS without any problem of course (category descriptions for the BTS for example is even much easyer to install than the original c.d.).

Archived