• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Customized Design

hetul

Hello,

I am not sure if this currently happens, however is there a way we can change the design layout?

can that happen?

Also,

Suppose we have a product range which needs few colours for eg. Shirt. we have a same shirt in 5 colours.

now, in the product display page can we have a DropDown box showing all the colour options and when the user selects any option from it. The product image on that page should automatically change to the respective product image.

Can this all be done? just a tought.

Let me know if there is a rounnd about way to do this.

Thanks

hk

Yes, you can customize the cart, by editing the following files to you satisfaction...

stylesheet.css

header.php

footer.php

column_left.php

column_right.php

And all of your infoboxes.php

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

now, in the product display page can we have a DropDown box showing all the colour options and when the user selects any option from it. The product image on that page should automatically change to the respective product image.
Check out this thread.

Additional help changing the layout is available under wiki.oscommerce.com/docs. You may also want to look up the Simple Template System or the Basic Template Structure contributions. The first is simpler; the latter is more comprehensive.

Hth,

Matt

• 11 months later...

Hello. I just downloaded this product today and have absolutely no idea

what it means to go to files such as these:

stylesheet.css

header.php

footer.php

column_left.php

column_right.php

infoboxes.php

I'd like to customize my page and I'm sure it's something

simple that I'm missing. I've looked at the wiki docs

and I don't understand any of them.

Can someone please explain in layman terms!!!!

Thank you,

NN

Then you shouldn't use this if you don't know a thing about PHP and don't understand help documents. And its not a product. How can you not know how to go to files to edit them. Just open a Yahoo store then.

David Amherst

Hello. I just downloaded this product today and have absolutely no idea

what it means to go to files such as these:

stylesheet.css

header.php

footer.php

column_left.php

column_right.php

infoboxes.php

I'd like to customize my page and I'm sure it's something

simple that I'm missing.  I've looked at the wiki docs

and I don't understand any of them. 

Can someone please explain in layman terms!!!!

Thank you,

NN

David Amherst

Then you shouldn't use this if you don't know a thing about PHP and don't understand help documents. And its not a product. How can you not know how to go to files to edit them. Just open a Yahoo store then.

That's a bit rude, don't you think?

I started this 2-3 days ago and didn't know a thing about php, but I understand most of it now. Luckily my webhost provides easy tools to use this.

If your webhost proves an ftp manager, you can easily edit all these files...

I find that breaking down what you want to change to the smallest component helps to find your answers. Ie; don't ask "how do I customize" as it is too broad a topic for a really good answer. I find the best answers are for questions such as "how do I change this text" or "how do I move a box". etc. I think drawing out the way you want your main page to look first helps you understand the steps that are needed to get it looking the way you want. Then you can take each section one by one and search the forum and find most of the answers you are looking for.

Once you can visualise the change you need to make it becomes alot easier.

And back up often so you can reinstall your store "when" you mess it up. I think I have done that about 500 times so far. :'(

Us a good PHP editor to change text, not the one built into osC. And keep notes so you know what you have done.

Concentrate on learning something, not just about getting it right. That will come with time.

Here is a good starting question for you. How wide do you want your store on the page. A percentage of the screen (100%) or a fixed width (800 pixels). In your catalog folder (where you find catalog/index.php) if you open up any of those files you will see

<!-- body //-->
<table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="3" cellpadding="3">

that means that the page is going to be 100% of the computer screen. If you want to change that to say 800 pixels wide or a fixed width then you would change that to

<!-- body //-->
<table border="0" width="800" cellspacing="3" cellpadding="3">

try making that change to index.php and see how that goes. If you want to change that for your entire store then all the pages in that folder have to be changed.

That is just an example to get your hands dirty and so you can see the results.

HTH

Peter

Archived